Future Volvo XC90

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Electric XC90

Apparently Volvo's successor to the XC90 is going to be all electric (we already new this) with LIDAR standard. The wife drives a 4 yr old XC90 now and loves it. Depending on pricing, availability, etc this will give us HUGE pause on proceeding with our R1S reservation. If I can't get a R1S (non-LE reservation) until likely the end of next year, we may just wait a bit longer and get a (hopefully) better version of the car my wife already loves? Of the SUVs we know about that may be on the road in the next 3-5 years, I think the Volvo'll be the biggest competitor to Rivian.

HOWEVER, it remains to be seen when Volvo will actually let you buy the car. The article says "reveal" not when production or sales will start.

Actually, now that I think about it this kind of teasing years before you can buy a vehicle from an automaker seems kind of familiar ?
Sponsored

STLBlues76

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Attorney
The article says it will go on sale next year:
"Self-driving car sensor startup Luminar Technologies Inc (LAZR.O) will supply Volvo Cars with its Iris lidar and Sentinel software in combination with software from Volvo in the electric XC90 SUV that will be built in South Carolina and go on sale in 2022, the companies said."

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Electric XC90

Apparently Volvo's successor to the XC90 is going to be all electric (we already new this) with LIDAR standard. The wife drives a 4 yr old XC90 now and loves it. Depending on pricing, availability, etc this will give us HUGE pause on proceeding with our R1S reservation. If I can't get a R1S (non-LE reservation) until likely the end of next year, we may just wait a bit longer and get a (hopefully) better version of the car my wife already loves? Of the SUVs we know about that may be on the road in the next 3-5 years, I think the Volvo'll be the biggest competitor to Rivian.

HOWEVER, it remains to be seen when Volvo will actually let you buy the car. The article says "reveal" not when production or sales will start.

Actually, now that I think about it this kind of teasing years before you can buy a vehicle from an automaker seems kind of familiar ?
I am pretty much up for any good are that is an EV and fits 7 people with overall length of 202 inches or shorter, I think volvo EV will be perfect. If I can get one before R1S, I will have to think about it really hard. If Toyota makes one I am going with Toyota 100%, but I never owned a Volvo so I might have to think a bit. But again, none of these manufacturer will produce anything anytime soon, and I hope RIVIAN does not fudge this one up!

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
I am pretty much up for any good are that is an EV and fits 7 people with overall length of 202 inches or shorter, I think volvo EV will be perfect. If I can get one before R1S, I will have to think about it really hard. If Toyota makes one I am going with Toyota 100%, but I never owned a Volvo so I might have to think a bit. But again, none of these manufacturer will produce anything anytime soon, and I hope RIVIAN does not fudge this one up!
The new Polestar will be an SUV, built in America.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not to be a downer, but I was excited about the XC40 recharge before it came out. And then saw that it's efficiency is quite bad, and the charging speed is not good for the size of battery. And they managed to kick out a product that wouldn't charge with one of the brands of chargers EA has without a lengthy fix by them and EA after they released the car. Doesn't give me a lot of hope for the xc90.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The XC40 is an ICE platform that Volvo shoehorned a BEV powertrain into. It never had a chance at being great compared to bespoke EV platforms. Compared to ICE vehicles, however, it provides a transition path for conservative buyers.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That doesn't impact either shortcoming. Hopefully with a cradle to grave EV design they can/will focus more on aero and efficiency in the designs is the vehicle, but the polestar 2 isn't particularly efficient either.

For reference, I own a T8 xc60 that I quite like. But I haven't seen them produce and actual efficient vehicle either ICE or BEV and so far I haven't been impressed with their BEV tech. If they pulled an Audi with charging on the xc40 or polestar 2 I'd bet less critical, but they didn't clear that bar either. Hopefully their next offerings are better.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
The XC40 is an ICE platform that Volvo shoehorned a BEV powertrain into. It never had a chance at being great compared to bespoke EV platforms. Compared to ICE vehicles, however, it provides a transition path for conservative buyers.
I think you are pretty right on here, with the following counter argument.

My father who thinks he knows a lot about technology and cars but struggles to let go of preconceptions really wants the XC40 recharge. He loves the look and wants a BEV. The problem is he freaked out at the EPA numbers and cancelled his order.

He fundamentally struggles to connect the dots on the efficiency of the BEV and charging realities and strategies. DCFC and how it is used still escapes him. He thinks you need enough range when you leave the garage for your trip assuming no charging stops.

To me this is the quintessential barrier that keeps BEVs still in the early adopter stage. People still want to treat them as ICE vehicles and not change their behavior.

So my counterpoint is the limitations of a non-bespoke BEV such as the recharge make it a bad transition path for conservative buyers. The Volvos limitations exacerbate this problem and make it not a great transition vehicle.

Counter my counterpoint, it could be perfect because it will force the buyer to behave differently. My GUESS is that it will backfire and XC40 owners will have a "bad" first BEV experience... I think my dad will hate the "work" he has to put into driving and not getting "stranded" on a 180 mile day trip.

RivianuserR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40, Volkswagen E-Golf
My wife and I currently own an XC40 and will be replacing it with an R1T. Do any of you guys that own a Volvo have issues with the entertainment screen taking forever to load? Sometimes it will be nearly 3-5 minutes before I can adjust the radio, AC, etc after starting the car. It will also randomly reboot while driving.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My wife and I currently own an XC40 and will be replacing it with an R1T. Do any of you guys that own a Volvo have issues with the entertainment screen taking forever to load? Sometimes it will be nearly 3-5 minutes before I can adjust the radio, AC, etc after starting the car. It will also randomly reboot while driving.
Slow to start is not unusual with sensus. 3 to 5 minutes is weird.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So my counterpoint is the limitations of a non-bespoke BEV such as the recharge make it a bad transition path for conservative buyers.
There is absolutely no reason they couldn't have made the BEV tech better just because the CMA platform was designed to accommodate both ICE and BEVs. Nor is that an excuse for it to be inefficient. The Niro and Kona EVs are both very efficient. The E-tron has a great charging curve. Both if those are on platforms that were not intended for BEVs, whereas the CMA platform was designed from the start to accommodate batteries. Really the limitation of non-EV platforms is how to physically arrange the batteries and components vs having the engine bay be designed for an engine.

Otherwise I agree with you.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

As a Volvo owner/fan, I welcome this news as it is another BEV offering from a safety minded brand. But can say I will not be swayed from Rivian by an electric 3 row crossover.
1) Based on cost of xc90 hybrid, I expect this vehicle to be around $100k. Some of you may be approaching that with your R1S, but I am trying to stay under $80k. To potentially pay $20k premium and not get tax credit would be hard to swallow.
2) The XC90 is a pavement princess. It is a crossover that looks slightly more SUV. You are not going to get the anticipated off-road performance of Rivian. You also aren’t going to want to test it beyond washboard dirt roads. I could be wrong though, and Volvo could be completely redesigning it’s 3 row offering.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
So my counterpoint is the limitations of a non-bespoke BEV such as the recharge make it a bad transition path for conservative buyers. The Volvos limitations exacerbate this problem and make it not a great transition vehicle.
That needs to be addressed with education. The XC40 is designed as a "city" SUV, and the sales people need to do their job and set the perspective for the buyer. 364 days a year, they probably travel less than 100 miles total. The XC40 provides them plenty of range with a comfortable buffer.

There will be those too stubborn to ever realize they don't NEED 500+ miles of range before they could ever consider any EV. They cannot be helped, unfortunately, so I'd rather just ignore them instead of letting them be an excuse to not help the majority of other people. Also, consider the fact that most households have 2+ vehicles so 99.9% of them could easily replace at least one vehicle with an EV -- even if they did need diesel-grade towing or ultra-long-distance trip capabilities with their other vehicle.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
That needs to be addressed with education. The XC40 is designed as a "city" SUV, and the sales people need to do their job and set the perspective for the buyer. 364 days a year, they probably travel less than 100 miles total. The XC40 provides them plenty of range with a comfortable buffer.

There will be those too stubborn to ever realize they don't NEED 500+ miles of range before they could ever consider any EV. They cannot be helped, unfortunately, so I'd rather just ignore them instead of letting them be an excuse to not help the majority of other people. Also, consider the fact that most households have 2+ vehicles so 99.9% of them could easily replace at least one vehicle with an EV -- even if they did need diesel-grade towing or ultra-long-distance trip capabilities with their other vehicle.
You are correct, but we are willing to put in the work to understand. The problem is we need our community to join us for the benefits that come from mass adoptions so the reason I engage with you and this forum is that we can learn from each other to try and find ways to evangelize this technology.

rtdias

First Name
Ricardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 D5, Volvo XC40, Audi Q2
Occupation
IT
Not to be a downer, but I was excited about the XC40 recharge before it came out. And then saw that it's efficiency is quite bad, and the charging speed is not good for the size of battery. And they managed to kick out a product that wouldn't charge with one of the brands of chargers EA has without a lengthy fix by them and EA after they released the car. Doesn't give me a lot of hope for the xc90.
Hello fellows,

I believe that you are referring to the "normal" XC40 Recharge? That is a transition Hybrid car that, here in Europe, has already been replaced by the XC40 Recharge P8, which is fully electric and a fantastic car to drive, especially if you don't need a lot of space.
It has 408HP and 450Km of range. It can charge up to 150Kwh.
I drove it for a few days as a text drive and I can say that it is a very nice car.
More information here

I drive a Volvo XC90 D5, my 3rd XC90 in fact, and I still love this car.
I will either buy and R1S (if it becomes available in Europe) or an XC90 EV. I doubt that the R1S will have the attention to detail that Volvo has shown in the latest models, which are just superb in many aspects.

Regards.
Sponsored