Front License Plates

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
FWIW. I live in BC, Canada and we require front plates here. When I bought my Tesla Model 3. The front plate bracket was 3M taped to the front bumper by the delivery team when I picked it up. I assume they will follow a similar pattern at minimum. Although I'd prefer it screwed on vs just tape...I imagine 3M tape won't hold up as well when you are driving it through rivers.... So hopefully they figure something out there.
They likely did that as a courtesy for those that want run without a front plate (ignoring the requirement). That way there are no holes left behind.
Oregon also has a law requiring a front plate that is almost never enforced (unless you park at a meter in Portland)
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
FWIW. I live in BC, Canada and we require front plates here. When I bought my Tesla Model 3. The front plate bracket was 3M taped to the front bumper by the delivery team when I picked it up. I assume they will follow a similar pattern at minimum. Although I'd prefer it screwed on vs just tape...I imagine 3M tape won't hold up as well when you are driving it through rivers.... So hopefully they figure something out there.
3m trim tape keeps the mouldings on most vehicles. If you want it to basically never come off, use VHB. I’ve used it for bonding the sides of trailers together.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Yeah, one time in Utah I got pulled over for drinking coffee and then he also wrote me up for the lack of a front license plate. Totally insane!

J/k, I got off with a warning for the plate.
Good to know you got off with a warning for the plate, but how much time did you serve for drinking coffee? D.U.I.C. is not to be taken lightly there.
☕ > ? > ? > ?

Last edited:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Hopefully that 3M tape doesn't leave residue when it "falls off" through "normal" conditions.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
For what it's worth, if Rivian were to not provide a bracket, there could be an exemption in WA. Unfortunately I'm guessing they will provide one.
Does EVERY state that normally requires a front plate provide the same exemption? I would guess "no". So if Rivian has to make a bracket to satisfy even one jurisdiction, then that part is "available" and the exemption goes away, entirely.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
They likely did that as a courtesy for those that want run without a front plate (ignoring the requirement). That way there are no holes left behind.
Oregon also has a law requiring a front plate that is almost never enforced (unless you park at a meter in Portland)
I have been pulled over for no front plate in Oregon. Didn't break any other traffic laws -- I was pulled over exclusively for not having a front plate. I didn't want to run the front, and had only attached the rear. Was pulled over within a few days of putting the rear plate on. Thankfully my trip permit was still valid for a few days, and I had it in my glove box. I showed the cop the permit and fibbed that I was waiting on the front bracket to arrive at the dealership so I could attach the front plate. Thankfully the cop accepted that and let me go without a ticket. I'm 100% confident I would have gotten a ticket if I hadn't had a valid trip permit. When I got home, that night, I installed the bracket and accepted that life would be easier if I just ran the front plate.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
Out of curiosity, do these specific states requiring front plates apply to vehicles that are licensed out of state - "just passing through"?

Or, do you need a front plate regardless of what your state's (where vehicle is registered) requirements are?

PS I'm in Washington, I have several friends who have driven without a front plate for years - no issues. Has anyone heard / experienced issues within Washington for not having a front plate?

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Out of curiosity, do these specific states requiring front plates apply to vehicles that are licensed out of state - "just passing through"?

Or, do you need a front plate regardless of what your state's (where vehicle is registered) requirements are?

PS I'm in Washington, I have several friends who have driven without a front plate for years - no issues. Has anyone heard / experienced issues within Washington for not having a front plate?
State of registration is the only thing relevant to the front-plate requirement.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

In my experience, only if you are registered in the state. I lived in TX for 2+ years driving a car registered in SC with only rear plates and never got so much as a hostile glance from the local authorities.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Does EVERY state that normally requires a front plate provide the same exemption? I would guess "no". So if Rivian has to make a bracket to satisfy even one jurisdiction, then that part is "available" and the exemption goes away, entirely.
Agreed. I had the same thought.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
3 years with my Tesla X and no front plate, and the cops pay me no attention.

Honestly, almost no Tesla in my area has plates or the mount (matter of fact, when you pick them up here, the Tesla SC's don't even mention or offer to put one one in my experience).

In general, I'm guessing it's not worth the paperwork, unless they already have you pulled over for something else.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Honestly, almost no Tesla in my area has plates or the mount (matter of fact, when you pick them up here, the Tesla SC's don't even mention or offer to put one one in my experience).

In general, I'm guessing it's not worth the paperwork, unless they already have you pulled over for something else.
i would assume it cant be good for the aero having a big flat plate at the front.

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y

It's very region specific for how much they care to enforce the state law. If anything they just use it as a reason to pull you over and have a chat. For example in California where we live it's required to have a front license plate. But in our county most vehicles don't have their front plate and it's rarely enforced. However drive 2 hours north or south and nearly every car has the front plate because they are heavily enforced, even while parked on the street. It's great to have the option to quickly install it for those problem areas, not have it attached to custom wraps, remove it for photos, or just the fact that nearly every car looks better without it.

Keeping our eyes peeled in California to see owners on the road for answers, rather than the test mules we've been seeing.

Last edited:

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Hopefully all the bumpers will have provisions for a winch, and then the fairlead holes could be used for a bracket. I use a flip up bracket with a hawse fairlead on my 4runner; the bracket is made by Tuffy. When it's down it hides the winch and hook and just flips up out of the way if the winch is needed.
Sponsored