Sponsored

For people who *don't* have exposed cargo racks, where do you store jump box?

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Had the dreaded early 12V failure on my R1T. It was drivable, but it did warn to plug it in at every opportunity until getting the 12V replaced (which I did.)

That has me wondering though. I have a big old lead-acid jump box + air compressor I've had since my old diesel pickup. It's in the frunk, and is huge. I'm looking at getting one of the tiny Lithium Ion jump boxes, but now thinking about it - all of the reasonable storage locations are inaccessible if the 12V dies. I need the jump box to get to where the jump box is stored.

So… Where do people store theirs? Does anyone know of a good compact weatherproof jump box with a magnetic attachment to stick it to the receiver? Or somewhere else to hide it but be accessible when the 12V is dead?
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

OP
OP
CharonPDX

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Oh, that's right, you can open the frunk with proper Torx bits! I have one of those magnetic "hide a key" boxes that is irrelevant now that none of my vehicles have physical keys, I think I'll put them in there and magnet that to the receiver assembly. (I keep a hitch-step in the receiver when not towing a trailer, so the two linked "store it in the receiver" won't work for me.)

lslick23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T DM
Oh, that's right, you can open the frunk with proper Torx bits! I have one of those magnetic "hide a key" boxes that is irrelevant now that none of my vehicles have physical keys, I think I'll put them in there and magnet that to the receiver assembly. (I keep a hitch-step in the receiver when not towing a trailer, so the two linked "store it in the receiver" won't work for me.)
Don’t forget to but the thumb twist for the hitch cover. https://opensourceev.com/products/hitch-cover-thumbscrew-v2-pair

edit: Sorry just realized you said you keep a hitch step so disregard haha.

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Store them inside the part of the hitch step that goes into the receiver (surely that is hollow).

Last edited:
OP
OP
CharonPDX

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

OP
OP
CharonPDX

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Store them inside the part of the hitch step that goes into the receiver (surely that is hollow).
While it is hollow, it is also a sealed-end, the only openings are for the pin. (The pin holes aren't a sealed tube themselves, so it would be possible to pass something into the box part through the pin holes, but I'd never get them out again. 😆)

raylepper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S, 2013 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Random Maker
Clubs

I installed one of these 'spare bumper' things. (The idea is it will attenuate the impact from a rear end collision). It's a 4" x 24" piece of heavy steel tube. The plastic ends come off. I sandwiched the tools (I'd need to access the manual front trunk release) in a couple pieces of pool noodle foam and slipped them inside the tube.

I'm really hoping I don't need the tools or the bumper thing. But if I do...we'll see how it goes.
Rivian R1T R1S For people who *don't* have exposed cargo racks, where do you store jump box? IMG_5891.JPG

OP
OP
CharonPDX

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Alright, found a good place to mount my magnetic key hider, with a micro tool with T-20 and T-25 bits.

Rivian R1T R1S For people who *don't* have exposed cargo racks, where do you store jump box? IMG_8039

Sponsored

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
I installed one of these 'spare bumper' things. (The idea is it will attenuate the impact from a rear end collision). It's a 4" x 24" piece of heavy steel tube. The plastic ends come off. I sandwiched the tools (I'd need to access the manual front trunk release) in a couple pieces of pool noodle foam and slipped them inside the tube.

I'm really hoping I don't need the tools or the bumper thing. But if I do...we'll see how it goes.
IMG_5891.JPG
Same, exactly (superbumper.com), and awaiting arrival today of a jump box that should also fit within the bumper tube, which may allow jumping from the hitch receiver ‘jump’ leads behind the hitch-adjacent circular plastic cap without requiring emergency access to the frunk via the fender liner technique.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
Last edited: