First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Has anybody ever experienced this in other cars to this degree? I haven’t, including in other electric cars.
Yeah for sure, even in ICE cars when it's humid enough this is pretty common in my Audi.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

You need to put some paper towel underneath and see what color it is.

I had similar and thought it was condensation but discovered that it wasn’t after doing paper test. If it’s yellow, blue/green, or red hue, you got a problem.

Mine was light blue/green and ended up being hydraulic dampener fluid leak despite having no warning lights.
I was reading your post and thinking "hydraulic fluid" so yeah - that is not a good thing. Definitely need to investigate what color.

Do not lick the concrete!

OP
OP

The J-Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2020 BMW X5 M50
I was reading your post and thinking "hydraulic fluid" so yeah - that is not a good thing. Definitely need to investigate what color.

Do not lick the concrete!
I know better than to lick the concrete. Much safer to stick your finger in the fluid and then lick your finger instead.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I get some of this drippage as well but would not call it excessive. It’s certainly not consistent.

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Re-routing the air conditioning condensate tube is a relatively common modification for Toyota Tacoma owner's. Especially those on forums that anticipate owning the truck for a long time.

This is partly due to the Tacoma's history of frame rust.

We don't have any history on Rivian metal and no knowledge at this point what the condensate, if that is indeed what it is, is coming in contact with besides the panel covers. And so, don't know if it is a potential problem or not.

Soon......

Aubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Preorder
This is a feature. You can collect the water in case you're stranded while Adventuring.

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Has anybody ever experienced this in other cars to this degree? I haven’t, including in other electric cars.
I just picked up my R1T today and parked it in the garage. While it was charing from my wall charger it was dripping and fans running continuously. The water was running out of my garage also.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

This is a feature. You can collect the water in case you're stranded while Adventuring.
Rivians would be a big hit on Arrakis.

CouR1Tois

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Launch Green, LE 20"AT
Occupation
Production Manager/Brewery Engineer
Clubs

Just an FYI, if the fluid is yellow in color it is not just condensation from the HVAC system. I had this exact same issue and it initially was thought to be damaged plug on the rear drive unit. That is lubricant that is leaking out. The first time it was at the service center they replaced the plug, and low and behold it happened again within hours of driving the truck home. The 2nd time it was picked up, more was done. The image below are the notes from my work order. I have had the truck back for a few days now and everything seems to be ok. All of the Rivian Service techs I talked to were very quick to get this resolved since it absolutely should not be leaking like that.

Rivian R1T R1S Fluid Leaking Under Truck 1661536047306

Sponsored

Architeuthis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 SR+ & Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi
I’ll have to check mine after I drive next. I just crawled under it but it’s dry — guess it all evaporated.
Oh
Does your R1T have an excessive amount of fluid dripping from underneath the truck? Whenever I pull out of my garage it leaves a stream of fluid down my driveway. I am assuming it is water as it has been doing it since I got the car three weeks ago. However, it is dropping several ounces at a time. After I park the truck it continues to leak for several hours. I was originally thinking it was condensation from the cooling system, but it is extremely excessive. I opened a service request and have been ignored. The leak is coming from the crack between two panels underneath the truck near the front passenger door.

3336A89D-D854-4054-B88D-7BD5D0D97DF3.jpeg

CCE69CA5-8742-43BF-9F01-B1F241CD3A00.jpeg

088D4644-FDF8-411D-8738-C99DA9CD51D0.jpeg
I ran into the same thing today. I’ve seen some small puddles after running the AC before — felt pretty normal. Today was the first time I did some towing and there was quite a bit more fluid/condensation. It was dripping from between panels just like the first photo — seemed to me to be a leak. I was a little alarmed with how much fluid but it was totally clear and I’m pretty sure it was just a lot of condensation from the cooling system. Glad to know I’m not alone.

joekeays

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Nissan Pathfinder
Occupation
Designer

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
If the liquid evaporates in the sun it is simply condensate and is normal. Oil based liquids will not evaporate and will stay until purposely removed.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Our R1T does the same thing from the same spot under the truck. I got drenched when trying to install running boards. Ours is water from condensation at the cooling unit. We get a lot of this kind of thing here in the Florida Panhandle where a dry day is 88% humidity. A cold can of beer will be sitting in a puddle in about 30 seconds.

Brian
Sponsored