First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
There is no disengaging clutch on the rear axle that allows the rear wheels to rotate without damaging the motors on the rear axle.
There are reports from several hands-on test drives/reviewers (Motor Trend and InsideEVs) that in Conserve mode, the rear wheels are decoupled from the drive unit.

"Conserve Mode is the most efficient, as the vehicle decouples the two rear motors and operates in front-wheel drive. Unlike some other EVs, you cannot engage the rear motors unless you switch the vehicle out of Conserve mode."
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
There is no disengaging clutch on the rear axle that allows the rear wheels to rotate without damaging the motors on the rear axle.
One point of clarification/correction: There is most definitely a disengaging clutch on the rear axle. There is not one on the front axle.

From the EPA documents:

On the rear drive unit, a modular disconnect is utilized to decouple the half-shaft from the output gears such that the vehicle can operate in FWD.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
One thing is certain - someone will try extended flat towing at speed - "What could go wrong, hold my beer!". And then we will find out what really happens. I expect *boom* and "magic smoke" from the inverters. I've seen the results several times in automation systems VFDs. Here's a picture and video of a small hobby IGBT (Insulated Gate Bipolar Transistor) failing. Rivian's inverters have much larger and expensive IGBTs.

Rivian R1T R1S Flat towing  a Rivian 1639666117572

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
This video made me curious if R1 wheels are going to lock up in an accident. This Tesla had to be pushed and pulled with wheels locked. R1 is much heavier.

p.s. I had a similar accident with an outback recently and cost of repair was 1/10 of this. No wonder Tesla insurance rates are hi.

Sponsored