RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

While I am not terribly bothered by this (as it's somewhat a worst case scenario) I can't say it still wasn't a little surprising to see it...

Cold battery, heat on 70, seat warmers (2) on 2nd pip, steering wheel heater on, stop and go Chicago traffic for a short trip and...

Rivian R1T R1S First real winter weather with R1S JK8psDdIgL_4Z-tKPTM=w1728-h1301-s-no-gm?authuser=0

And to be fair, on the way back, I dropped the heat a bit to 68, turned off the seat and steering wheel heaters, and the battery had warmed up above 50F and things got to about 0.7mi/kWh which is still not great, but I suspect on an actual drive where you're covering actual distance and not just "idling" running multiple resistive heaters and having the inverter and motors artificially heat themselves up to soak heat to the battery (which came up almost 10 degrees during the drive) things would be at least above 1mi/kWh or a bit better (around 1/2 normal efficiency). This was just my first chance to test "everything on" as you'd have it in an ICE vehicle. It's not a pretty picture, but it just becomes planning and optimizing for it, possibly setting the charge a bit higher and kicking it in before I leave to get a headstart on driving some heat into the battery and having the cabin pre-warmed off the wall vs the battery itself.

I do feel like that last bit is kind of a shortcoming if it works as I think it does - maybe someone can confirm? If I am plugged in but NOT actively charging, the vehicle will not use the "supplemental" power available at the wall to run supplemental systems right? If I AM charging I can see the estimated time change as I engage heating or cooling or whatever so it IS "siphoning" off power then to systems outside the battery - or I guess it isn't. It's still coming off the battery, it's just offsetting the charge by the commensurate drain of the systems - I truly wish there was a way to just "bypass" the battery and use the wall to run systems in the vehicle "directly".

Anyway... musings for another time. I'm glad I finally got to see cold weather performance myself for the first time. Will definitely need to adjust habits and plan ahead a bit more than I ever typically would before.
Sponsored

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

Sheesh! We've had some colder mornings in TN lately and I am seeing similar efficiency issues in stop and go city traffic. Not as bas as .55 but nowhere near the usual 2.0 that I average.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Sheesh! We've had some colder mornings in TN lately and I am seeing similar efficiency issues in stop and go city traffic. Not as bas as .55 but nowhere near the usual 2.0 that I average.
Yeah was a little surprised... but is what it is

VGA

First Name
Vikas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
very basic question....new owner....how o you get that efficiency graph?

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

very basic question....new owner....how o you get that efficiency graph?
Press and hold left side steering wheel buttons and you can cycle through the various panels

Sponsored

VGA

First Name
Vikas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
thank you very much....i know basic q....but still learning

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

FYI having our R1S plugged in every night seems to have the battery nice and warm to maintain an acceptable/good mi/kWh rating for short trips.

We have 85% as our max charge and might only be going from 82%. No charge schedule set
It is usually done by 10pm and not driven until 8am yet the battery is in the high 70's to mid 80's vs not plugging in and being low 50's.

Edit: A bit more information
- Garage is kept at 50 degrees
- Only have the last 3 mornings of using this method but it has been consistent.
- This morning was 12F degrees (felt like 5F) and I was right at 2mi/kWh for the 5ish miles with seat and steering wheel heater and defrost on part of the trip.
- When not plugging in with similar conditions, vehicle is easily below 1mi/kWh for short trips coming from a 50F degree garage
- Seems like it preconditions even though it isn't actively charging 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
OP.. what was the outside temp during your trip this morning?

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
FYI having our R1S plugged in every night seems to have the battery nice and warm to maintain an acceptable/good mi/kWh rating for short trips.

We have 85% as our max charge and might only be going from 82%. No charge schedule set
It is usually done by 10pm and not driven until 8am yet the battery is in the high 70's to mid 80's vs not plugging in and being low 50's.
I have the same behavior on my truck. Another thread, though - others do not seem to have the same behavior.

Perhaps it’s the charging schedule that triggers preconditioning.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Edit: A bit more information
- Garage is kept at 50 degrees
- Only have the last 3 mornings of using this method but it has been consistent.
- This morning was 12F degrees (felt like 5F) and I was right at 2mi/kWh for the 5ish miles with seat and steering wheel heater and defrost on part of the trip.
- When not plugging in with similar conditions, vehicle is easily below 1mi/kWh for short trips coming from a 50F degree garage
- Seems like it preconditions even though it isn't actively charging 🤷‍♂️
it's never not plugged in at home, so the ability for the vehicle to do what it needs to do is there - but it also never charges to what it SHOULD (always stops low) and never maintains the charge as it should:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I have the same behavior on my truck. Another thread, though - others do not seem to have the same behavior.

Interesting. I don't have a charging schedule though?
I'm going to pay closer attention tonight. Would be nice if the app could show the battery temp over time.

OP
OP
RexRemus

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Yeah see my response to SlaterGS - there are issues with charging and I definitely have them.

wassym did reply that they are aware and working on it... I'm not entirely sure what is so complex about the fix, but apparently, it's very complex

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I do feel like that last bit is kind of a shortcoming if it works as I think it does - maybe someone can confirm? If I am plugged in but NOT actively charging, the vehicle will not use the "supplemental" power available at the wall to run supplemental systems right? If I AM charging I can see the estimated time change as I engage heating or cooling or whatever so it IS "siphoning" off power then to systems outside the battery - or I guess it isn't. It's still coming off the battery, it's just offsetting the charge by the commensurate drain of the systems - I truly wish there was a way to just "bypass" the battery and use the wall to run systems in the vehicle "directly".
One of my complaints from last year and I don't think Rivian has addressed it. However, they have made the charger faster to react to a reduced state of charge in the battery. It will start to recharge pretty quickly. If I actually need the full range for a trip, I will charge to 98% and bump it to 100% after turning cabin preconditioning on. Couldn't do that last year.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My name is Mike, and I have a (car) problem
Yeah see my response to SlaterGS - there are issues with charging and I definitely have them.

wassym did reply that they are aware and working on it... I'm not entirely sure what is so complex about the fix, but apparently, it's very complex
Ah, got it. Looks like they are releasing some fixes to charging in the .46 release - perhaps that will address the situation?
Sponsored