Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Just for giggles. Here's an aluminum plate powder coated. This was my initial plan. I really like this a lot.

311F984B-7602-434E-84D6-463167211595.jpeg
Re-voicing my (and many other’s) preference for a rubber or soft plastic top if possible.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Btw- As long as Fedex doesn't screw up.... again... I may have something today.
How did FedEx do?

I broke down and ended up buying an iPhone 14 Pro Max, this week.... So I'm anxiously awaiting a professional-looking magsafe option for my R1T.

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
How did FedEx do?

I broke down and ended up buying an iPhone 14 Pro Max, this week.... So I'm anxiously awaiting a professional-looking magsafe option for my R1T.
I have the material in hand. Need to put it all together and take some pictures. Goal is to have the pictures posted to you guys today.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Anxiously awaiting we are....

:fingerscrossed:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Anxiously awaiting we are....

:fingerscrossed:
I'm sorry guys. So long story short:

We ordered some alcantara. I chose a color that I felt would match more trucks as possible. Between gluing it, the difficult install (it wanted to lift often), and how it looks in the truck. Neither David or I liked the end result. It just didn't feel right.

I ordered a few samples of other colors and materials as well. And none of the colors or materials looked right.

So where does that put us? I am looking into some natural textures, and I think we have something that will feel more at home in the truck as well as what Rivian stands for. I'll be happy to explain more if wanted.

TheLTrain

First Name
Leyen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Ford Escape Hybrid

We ordered some alcantara. I chose a color that I felt would match more trucks as possible. Between gluing it, the difficult install (it wanted to lift often), and how it looks in the truck. Neither David or I liked the end result. It just didn't feel right.

I ordered a few samples of other colors and materials as well. And none of the colors or materials looked right.

So where does that put us? I am looking into some natural textures, and I think we have something that will feel more at home in the truck as well as what Rivian stands for. I'll be happy to explain more if wanted.
Appreciate your effort to get it right. I’ll be waiting patiently 👍🏽

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired

I don't mind a hard surface top plate since the phones won't slide around with mag safe. May be you can etch the electric flash logo (similar to the one Rivian stitches on their caps) in the middle of the plate for kicks. 😄

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
I don't mind a hard surface top plate since the phones won't slide around with mag safe. May be you can etch the electric flash logo (similar to the one Rivian stitches on their caps) in the middle of the plate for kicks. 😄
Wow you are on the right path for one of our ideas. But think more nature and map like.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Wow you are on the right path for one of our ideas. But think more nature and map like.
Whatever you can add to the plate is a bonus! 👍It looks fantastic as is already.

Sponsored

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

Out of curiousity, what did you use to glue it on there that didn't work?

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Alcantara on the charging plate area doesn't sound like a great idea. It'll get trashed with dirt and potentially stains. Something that is easily cleanable with a simple detail spray and a synthetic brush is preferred. I know you keep hearing rubber, but that's truly the best solution for a topper. Anything you can get close to that is a win, IMO.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Why don't you just sell what you can come up with right now (what you just mentioned) and let people decide if they want to diy their own wrap if they don't like what you offer. Then offer an upgrade later when you have a better solution.

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Why don't you just sell what you can come up with right now (what you just mentioned) and let people decide if they want to diy their own wrap if they don't like what you offer. Then offer an upgrade later when you have a better solution.

While I appreciate people may want this right now. I want to make it right. The only working prototype is 100% 3d printed, and based on what people have said... That's not what they are looking for.

We will release this s00n. We just need to get through this speed bump. I ordered the new material and put a rush on it. Should be shipped this week.

OP
OP
Sojhinn

Sojhinn

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Tacoma
Occupation
Teacher
Alcantara on the charging plate area doesn't sound like a great idea. It'll get trashed with dirt and potentially stains. Something that is easily cleanable with a simple detail spray and a synthetic brush is preferred. I know you keep hearing rubber, but that's truly the best solution for a topper. Anything you can get close to that is a win, IMO.
Well it's good that it didn't work. Also I just want to put the rubber option to rest.

I was able to test some silicon rubber. Between the quality looking cheap and it's inability to keep itself in position properly in got nixed this weekend as well.

What WAS interesting was that I was able to charge through it (with maglock) on a caseless phone.
Sponsored