Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Just got a call from Rivian. I thought maybe I was getting a guide. Unfortunately, it was CS notifying me that they are no longer providing test drives in my area and didn’t know why, but it possibly was an issue with the state. They confirmed that they are no longer doing test drives anywhere in Washington.

CS was very apologetic, but it’s nonetheless disappointing. Test drive was scheduled for 10/14. CS did say there was plenty of time to sort it out before my delivery, which also tells me my delivery isn’t happening anytime soon 😭

Edit:
Glad they called me before sending this form letter email.

Rivian R1T R1S First Drives Cancelled in WA C0ECEB0E-C577-4FAC-85AB-C1764D37BAFB
Sponsored

Last edited:

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Someone needs to pull together an initiative allowing direct to consumer sales in WA.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Someone needs to pull together an initiative allowing direct to consumer sales in WA.
I don't really know anything about how to go about it, but I am honestly surprised Rivian isn't pushing anything.

The part-time state legislature seems open to the idea, but they never seem to get past the first hearing on the bill before their session ends.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't really know anything about how to go about it, but I am honestly surprised Rivian isn't pushing anything.
I don't know either other than needing to get enough signatures to get it on the ballot. I suspect RIvian and Lucid would help sponsor an initiative if we got to the right people.

I'm rather confused why they didn't go the initiative route either instead of trying to work through traditional lobbying. Especially considering the current distaste people have for dealers over markups.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I don't know either other than needing to get enough signatures to get it on the ballot. I suspect RIvian and Lucid would help sponsor an initiative if we got to the right people.

I'm rather confused why they didn't go the initiative route either instead of trying to work through traditional lobbying. Especially considering the current distaste people have for dealers over markups.
Looks like any registered voter can file an initiative. It's 5 bucks. Filings in December, petitions due in July.

"For initiatives and referenda filed in 2021 through 2024 - Based on the number of votes cast for the office of Governor at the last regular state gubernatorial election, the number of signatures required for an initiative is 324,516 and the number for a referenda is 162,258."

I'd hang out outside some car dealerships asking for signatures as customers leave. There's at least two that pissed me off within the past year...

Obviously, it's not going anywhere without a real campaign. Lawyer to review the text, lawyer to advise on campaign finance stuff, campaign manager, etc etc. But Rivian and Lucid have got to be willing to fund such an effort, right?

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like any registered voter can file an initiative. It's 5 bucks. Filings in December, petitions due in July.

"For initiatives and referenda filed in 2021 through 2024 - Based on the number of votes cast for the office of Governor at the last regular state gubernatorial election, the number of signatures required for an initiative is 324,516 and the number for a referenda is 162,258."

I'd hang out outside some car dealerships asking for signatures as customers leave. There's at least two that pissed me off within the past year...

Obviously, it's not going anywhere without a real campaign. Lawyer to review the text, lawyer to advise on campaign finance stuff, campaign manager, etc etc. But Rivian and Lucid have got to be willing to fund such an effort, right?
That's exactly my thought too. I'm sure there's a ton of us who'd be happy to file the initiative if Rivian and Lucid were to craft it up and then back and providing people (plus volunteers) to help get signatures.

OP
OP
Forager

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I had assumed they already had a path forward around the direct sales given the multitude of local deliveries.

I just want to sit in the darn thing and have my wife drive it 5 miles so we can decide if we want to keep waiting.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Their way around it is mail order (mixed with a little flagrant disregard). We still need to get the law fixed. It could be that marketing activities (e.g., test drives) are drawing some unwanted scrutiny.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Rivian, along with Workhorse and Lucid, have been pushing this. There were multiple hearings last session that they had lobbyists attend, but the motion was killed by the "consumer protection" committee... The dealerships are deep in their pockets.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian, along with Workhorse and Lucid, have been pushing this. There were multiple hearings last session that they had lobbyists attend, but the motion was killed by the "consumer protection" committee... The dealerships are deep in their pockets.
My representative flat out told me the chair is "protecting jobs" in their district because they have a lot of dealers in their district.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
My representative flat out told me the chair is "protecting jobs" in their district because they have a lot of dealers in their district.
The only people at risk of losing their jobs are the fat cats who own the dealerships. 98% of the staff could just roll over to one of the independents.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The only people at risk of losing their jobs are the fat cats who own the dealerships. 98% of the staff could just roll over to one of the independents.
Exactly.

It also ignores the fact that the legislation that was proposed explicitly protected existing dealers and only allowed for new companies without a dealer network to sell direct to consumer. WHICH, as we've seen with Rivian, still requires a bunch of employees doing actual work at a service center.

I was both pretty surprised how blunt he was about it, and pretty pissed.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Oh. Well, if that's the word, then let's get it done without them!

OP
OP
Forager

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Count me in. Probably could get a lot of signatures at cruise ins and Cars & Coffee meetups. I like the idea of standing outside dealer lots!

Oh. Well, if that's the word, then let's get it done without them!