Sponsored

First Drives Cancelled in WA

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Does anyone know if First Drives for R1S is available in OR? I don't mind driving down there if it remains unavailable in WA.

GR
Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So, no interstate commerce laws protecting consumers making purchases across state lines? There's gotta be some form of federal protection if individual states don't offer them for whatever reason, right?

GR
I believe these fall under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act.

Essentially its the federal lemon law, under this provision, a manufacturer must apply a reasonable number of attempts to repair the defective product or offer to buy it back.

I'm also not completely convinced that our vehicles won't fall under WA state lemon law. But, I am convinced I don't know enough to really know. :)

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf (2016), Mustang Mach E (2021)
Looking over the voter's pamphlet and realized it is an excellent time to contact my state representatives about the favoritism to dealers issue. I've already done it once without a reply, but maybe during election season I'll have better luck. Also thinking about posting on local neighborhood chats. My rep is on the so-called consumer protection committee.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Looking over the voter's pamphlet and realized it is an excellent time to contact my state representatives about the favoritism to dealers issue. I've already done it once without a reply, but maybe during election season I'll have better luck. Also thinking about posting on local neighborhood chats. My rep is on the so-called consumer protection committee.
We need to do an initiative. I was stonewalled by multiple reps, and the one I spoke to previously admitted the committee who saw the prior bill to allow direct to consumer EV sales is in the pocket of the dealers. They want to "protect local jobs."

Sponsored

Legi0n

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Blue
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I live in Renton. I'd be willing to show off and let someone drive my R1T around. First Drive was a critical part of my purchase decision. It is a lot of money on a truck you have never seen or could climb in. Still loving my decision to get my R1T (most of the time I was on the list for an R1S but kept changing my mind.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I live in Renton. I'd be willing to show off and let someone drive my R1T around. First Drive was a critical part of my purchase decision. It is a lot of money on a truck you have never seen or could climb in. Still loving my decision to get my R1T (most of the time I was on the list for an R1S but kept changing my mind.
Same.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

Rivian did a lot of work on the 2021 bill...which as noted didn't get out of committee. EV owners in the state have been bugging legislators about this at least since 2009. EV groups (like Drive Electric Washington) will be contacting legislators again this year...there are definitely supporters there, but it's not generally considered a priority. Sigh.

In almost every district, the largest sales-tax contributors are auto dealers, so there are indeed a lot of legislators that pay attention to them - even at the expense of the citizens they are supposed to represent. There was a bill similar to this around 2011 that I testified on...and the legislators on the committee did not appear to even be listening to any of the testimony.

Dealer-sponsored bills get passed regularly, without much scrutiny. One year an OEM lobbyist contacted a local EV group to let them know about one effect of a large bill in the process...a simple "and" changed to an "or" would have made it illegal for Tesla to sell in the state. We Tesla owners organized a campaign to contact our legislators, and a bunch of us took cars to the capitol for a ride-and-drive event for them. That one word got changed so Tesla was grandfathered in...but nobody else. Nobody liked that, but the session was almost over and they didn't have time for a better fix. They promised to fix it in the future...but I guess the future is still coming. Bummer.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Rivian did a lot of work on the 2021 bill...which as noted didn't get out of committee. EV owners in the state have been bugging legislators about this at least since 2009. EV groups (like Drive Electric Washington) will be contacting legislators again this year...there are definitely supporters there, but it's not generally considered a priority. Sigh.

In almost every district, the largest sales-tax contributors are auto dealers, so there are indeed a lot of legislators that pay attention to them - even at the expense of the citizens they are supposed to represent. There was a bill similar to this around 2011 that I testified on...and the legislators on the committee did not appear to even be listening to any of the testimony.

Dealer-sponsored bills get passed regularly, without much scrutiny. One year an OEM lobbyist contacted a local EV group to let them know about one effect of a large bill in the process...a simple "and" changed to an "or" would have made it illegal for Tesla to sell in the state. We Tesla owners organized a campaign to contact our legislators, and a bunch of us took cars to the capitol for a ride-and-drive event for them. That one word got changed so Tesla was grandfathered in...but nobody else. Nobody liked that, but the session was almost over and they didn't have time for a better fix. They promised to fix it in the future...but I guess the future is still coming. Bummer.
This is why we have initiatives. One (or a few) of us needs to reach out to Rivian and probably Lucid to get their suprt for it and have a resident sign off on it. I'm sure both manufacturers, and a bunch of us, would put in the effort to get signatures. Once on the ballot I can't imagine dealers have much goodwill left to keep one from passing a public vote.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

I don’t buy that it’s about sales tax revenue. If that was the case they would pass the direct to consumers bill immediately. With direct sales the sales tax revenue is protected for sure as the sale takes place within the state. I think it has to do with the fact that most dealerships are owned by a couple giant conglomerates and these conglomerates are using their money and lobby power to buy politicians.

This isn’t going to change until we make enough noise.

OP
OP
Forager

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Here’s an update that is probably worth it’s own thread now that topic has migrated a bit:

A fellow forum member DM’d me a couple weeks back offering me and my family the chance to climb around their truck and even take it for a spin. This experience was above and beyond and is a great example of the community being formed around these vehicles. Hopefully Rivian can continue to build on this as they mature as a company.

The test drive was exactly what my wife and I needed to feel comfortable with converting our pre-order to an order. My wife felt comfortable behind the wheel and fell in love with the truck. My daughter (4 yo) loved the 0-60 acceleration and was asking me to do the “fast car thing” all the way home in our (very slow) Volvo. I’ve still got some of the same apprehensions as much of the rest of the community— lack of CarPlay, unknown service/long term quality, unknown delivery, etc. but these are mostly things we can look past or take a risk on if it’s a vehicle we both really like, and the test drive confirmed that for us.

So we are all-in on Rivian R1T now. I even added in the power tonneau, which I wished to avoid, to speed delivery. Now all we need to do is settle on wheel/tire, color, and interior. Hopefully if we drop by a SC they will let us look, not touch, the vehicles so we can finalize our configuration.
Sponsored