Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I bet if you went inside you would not find vehicles spread-out across the factory floor in every which-way shoehorned in. ;)
I've never spent any time in the QC area of a plant (what this looks like to me), so I can't really say if this is normal or not. I'd expect it could be if there was an issue that was discovered and it meant needing to rework something on dozens of vehicles.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'm actually a bit puzzled and tad curious about all those R1T parked in every open space on the factory floor. That would not be a way to run a high-vol. production line. My guess is they are being temporarily held pending some fix like the powered tonnaeu cover mechanism. This same observation applies to RJ's vid clip of many trucks parked outside "ready for delivery to customers." My guess is they too are on-hold pending some final thing(s).
From the presence of a lift and a couple of wrapped vans, this is probably a staging/rework or other inspection area.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Maybe they have soooo many trucks going out that the parking lot is full! These are the overflow.

Wishful thinking :-D

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The R1S production line is not shown in this photo but saw one on the street yesterday near RJ's home. Couldn't tell who was driving it though.
Actually, there are only two production lines in the factory. Both the R1T and the R1S are/will be produced on the same line, while the second line is exclusively for the Delivery Vans.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Actually, there are only two production lines in the factory. Both the R1T and the R1S are/will be produced on the same line, while the second line is exclusively for the Delivery Vans.
That's right, but I personally don't think they are actually building the R1S right now. There aren't any scheduled deliveries until March I believe, and I think the two produced in December were for final testing before finalizing the build specs.

Sponsored

bsaik

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Land Rover RR Sport, R1T reservation holder
Looks like an Amazon branding. I've seen pictures of their vans driving around with that wrap. Notice that the pictures on the wrap are just a bunch of shipping boxes.
I saw a wrapped van like that behind the Rivian offices in Palo Alto the other day.

Churrodecoco

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
IT Manager
Clubs

That's right, but I personally don't think they are actually building the R1S right now. There aren't any scheduled deliveries until March I believe, and I think the two produced in December were for final testing before finalizing the build specs.
I think the 2 produced was to meet their promised timeline to "start production ". According to their investors call, they were having problems building the R1S in the R1T line.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I spy with my little eye only two R1T vehicle colors? There's a clue there somewhere. Either there's a QC problem with these colors, or they are producing vehicles in color batches. If producing in color batches, it could be production efficiency optimization, or it could be a supply chain issue with other colors..... ? There are reports online of pigment shortages in various industries.

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I spy with my little eye only two R1T vehicle colors? There's a clue there somewhere. Either there's a QC problem with these colors, or they are producing vehicles in color batches. If producing in color batches, it could be production efficiency optimization, or it could be a supply chain issue with other colors..... ? There are reports online of pigment shortages in various industries.
When I found the picture, I did try to parse out what I was looking at and basically just settled on it was a neat picture. I look for these kinds of photos and have more success than most, and I can’t figure out what I’m looking at so, I’m not sure how others think they can.

I admit, I don’t have experience in auto manufacturing but, I’ve put together many legos. I would just caution people a bit on reading too much into these photos. I’m here for some fun—and the pleasure of eventually being acknowledged as the lord-high-king of Rivian spy shots. Helps to pass the time until oct-dec 2022.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
...I can’t figure out what I’m looking at so, I’m not sure how others think they can.
I'm an engineer in manufacturing, and it comes with an innate curse of trying to figure out production problems, lol. It's a twisted sort of fun to me - I'm here for fun too.

Thanks for posting, and you get my vote for lord-high-king of Rivian spy shots. ?

OP
OP
AdamsFan1983

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
I'm an engineer in manufacturing, and it comes with an innate curse of trying to figure out production problems, lol. It's a twisted sort of fun to me - I'm here for fun too.

Thanks for posting, and you get my vote for lord-high-king of Rivian spy shots. ?
For the record I will have a name tag made with my title and show up to Rivian meet ups after I get my truck and don’t have to worry about retaliation.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
They were definitely batching them by colour earlier at least. A rivian employee Told me the first batch was blue, for example.

I can see them running batches by colour for paint process optimization, that’s pretty normal in early stages

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
More Amazon vans then I care to look at right now.

Wonder if Rivian would let me switch my preorder to a Amazon Van?

Bet I'd get 2022 delivery then! ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

More Amazon vans then I care to look at right now.

Wonder if Rivian would let me switch my preorder to a Amazon Van?

Bet I'd get 2022 delivery then! ?
You could haul more $#!T, as well!
Sponsored