Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

https://www.f150lightningforum.com/2023/07/17/2023-f-150-lightning-gets-price-cuts-across-all-trims/

“Shortly after launching the F-150 Lightning, rapidly rising material costs, supply constraints and other factors drove up the cost of the EV truck for Ford and our customers,” said Marin Gjaja, chief customer officer, Ford Model e. “We’ve continued to work in the background to improve accessibility and affordability to help to lower prices for our customers and shorten the wait times for their new F-150 Lightning.”

Lightning ModelPrevious MSRPUpdated MSRPSavings
Pro$59,974$49,995$9,979
XLT 311A$64,474$54,995$9,479
XLT 312A$68,474$59,995$8,479
XLT 312A Extended Range$78,874$69,995$8,879
Lariat 510A$76,974$69,995$6,979
Lariat Extended Range$85,974$77,495$8,479
Platinum Extended Range$98,074$91,995$6,079
MSRPs do not include additional $1,995 destination and delivery fees

In addition to the price cuts above, Ford customers can take advantage of an additional $1,000 bonus if they build their own XLT, Lariat, or Platinum (still no Pros, sorry) Lightning through Ford’s website or dealer network before July 31.
Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Looks like Ford pretty much just reversed course on the prior price increases. When a new vehicle loan is 6%+ for those with an 800+ credit score, it’s hard to keep charging that much for cloth seats and no sunroof!

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Looks like Ford pretty much just reversed course on the prior price increases. When a new vehicle loan is 6%+ for those with an 800+ credit score, it’s hard to keep charging that much for cloth seats and no sunroof!
The question I have is whether or not Rivian is forced to follow them with a price cut on the R1T. Though I suppose that won’t be the case as the dual motor variants come online. I guess the real pressure will be to get the dual motor’s out the door as quickly as possible.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

The question I have is whether or not Rivian is forced to follow them with a price cut on the R1T. Though I suppose that won’t be the case as the dual motor variants come online. I guess the real pressure will be to get the dual motor’s out the door as quickly as possible.
Rivian can temporarily cut the truck price until they can source the right battery minerals to qualify for the full tax credit.

SUV they won’t cut the price but the full tax credit will help bring in price conscious buyers.

this gives them plenty of time to let rates come back down and enduro dual motors to roll out.

SUV has plenty of demand and backorders. Price cut is not necessary. Instead bring back the explore option and fully qualified battery.

Sponsored

R1Tcali

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business owner
The battery isn’t the problem, the new 2023 income limit for tax credit is the real issue.

adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
I think Ford has just delivered a pretty serious blow to Rivian with this price cut. All but one of their F-150 Lightning trims now qualifies for a $7,500 tax credit. So, essentially, they lowered their prices by up to $17,479 on some of their trims and by significantly more than $10,000 on all trims but one. Lariat Extended Range is the trim I would personally be interested in if I were shopping for a truck; with a tax credit, it's $69,995 compared with $85,974 yesterday.

I'd say Rivian execs are spending some quality time in pretty gloomy board meetings right now.

Another important point here is that we now have a baseline upon which Tesla will price the CyberTruck in less than 2 months. It looks like a tri-motor extended range may very well be priced at $79,990 (to qualify for the Federal Tax Credit) as I've been predicting for over a year now, and the lowest trim dual-motor standard range may be priced at $49,990 to compete with the lowest trim F-150 Lightning.

Last edited:

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Rivian can temporarily cut the truck price until they can source the right battery minerals to qualify for the full tax credit.

SUV they won’t cut the price but the full tax credit will help bring in price conscious buyers.

this gives them plenty of time to let rates come back down and enduro dual motors to roll out.

SUV has plenty of demand and backorders. Price cut is not necessary. Instead bring back the explore option and fully qualified battery.
Very much doubt that they will cut the truck price as they are losing money on each vehicle as it is. So why chase volume? A price cut will also affect the R1S indirectly, as purchasers may defer purchase waiting for a like price reduction on the SUV.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Very much doubt that they will cut the truck price as they are losing money on each vehicle as it is. So why chase volume? A price cut will also affect the R1S indirectly, as purchasers may defer purchase waiting for a like price reduction on the SUV.
trucks are starting to pile up and cyber truck is coming out soon.

Rivian will get aggressive with their trucks once the price wars heat up.

I’m sure they will introduce lower trim options without wood and using enduro dual motors plus small pack LFP batteries that can charge to 100%.

That will be there doorbuster special to bring customers in.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y

Rivian has an order book right now. They will go through their order book before they have to lower the pricing. They really can't lower the pricing either, so Rivian has just found itself in the same boat with VW, GM, Fisker, etc. Can't compete on prices but can't lower the prices either. This is a major blow to Rivian. I wonder if this will be reflected by the stock price.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

trucks are starting to pile up and cyber truck is coming out soon.

Rivian will get aggressive with their trucks once the price wars heat up.

I’m sure they will introduce lower trim options without wood and using enduro dual motors plus small pack LFP batteries that can charge to 100%.

That will be there doorbuster special to bring customers in.
That makes sense to me. Also, unlike Ford, if Rivian has a demand issue with trucks they can shift production to more SUVs for now to satisfy more customers and make money while keeping truck supply in check. Truck demand for longer range dual motor R1Ts will probably keep them busy for a while once they launch. Beyond that, I can see them going to a lower content and less expensive vehicle as you said while also adding higher end trims (quad enduro, etc.) to broaden the price range.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Rivian will have to drop price on their lot full of R1Ts. Its inevitable.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
sad to say it but with ford honoring the Count's August Lightning build with the new MSRP he will probably be cancelling his R1T order. Although he is considering placing a new max pack R1S order because 2025 is just around the corner.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
The battery isn’t the problem, the new 2023 income limit for tax credit is the real issue.

adjusted gross income (AGI) may not exceed:

• $300,000 for married couples filing jointly
  • $225,000 for heads of households
  • $150,000 for all other filers
Rivian R1T R1S F150 Lightning gets nearly $10K in price cuts 1689605407163

Very glad I bought this truck in 2022 with pre march pricing.

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
A lariat ER becomes a bit more compelling. Dealers in my area have dealer mark downs as well by around $2-3k as well last time I looked. Wonder if they will still keep their dealer mark downs or add some adjustment back on top of them?

But in the end the Lightning is a compliance/compromise truck that is just a shoehorned EV in an Ice chassis so they should be cheap and be the cheapest option by a large margin in the market.
Sponsored