Sponsored

Extended warranties

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
Just contacted Rivian CS - no plans as of yet for extended warranties.

And before people "dog pile on the rabbit" because I posted again on something that might be a negative aspect - i know, extended warranties statistically cost more than any repairs that can turn up. Its everyone's choice on how they wish to gamble with their finances.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Hey, if they offered one I'd consider it too. I was just wondering about the cost to repair that suspension yesterday...

OP
OP

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid
Hey, if they offered one I'd consider it too. I was just wondering about the cost to repair that suspension yesterday...
Well, if other luxury cars are any indication of the cost to repair a air suspension, I would submit a extended warranty in the ~$2k range would probably pay for itself - depending on the length and miles of said contract also.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
The odds of someone offering one in the next 5 years are good. Unless Rivian disappears before then.

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
By the time the warranty has run out, I'll be upgrading to the solid state R1T 2 by then! :rock:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The conversation usually goes like this:
"Do you wan't the extendend warranty"
"No"
"Why not"
"Because if it were more to my benefit than yours you wouldn't be offering it"
"Tell that to the guy who was in here last week for the $7000 transmission job"
"Sure - send him in"

Sometimes I'll just say that I put aside all the money I've saved over the years by not buying extended warranties to pay for any unexpected $7000 transmission jobs.

In any case you aren't going to get that pitch from Rivian nor will they try to sell you undecoating.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

By the time the warranty has run out, I'll be upgrading to the solid state R1T 2 by then! :rock:
With Rivian's ambitious battery repurposing plan, I do wonder/hope if they will have a solid customer loyalty/trade in plan at the end of warranty period, especially since we can expect current battery tech to be essentially obsolete in 5 years.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
I get about 5 calls a day to extend car warranties on cars I no longer own... I'll answer next time, and ask them for a quote on the Rivian:)

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Yea, me too. My latest trick is a stammer so horrible that I almost can't stand doing it (and my wife has asked me not to do it when she is in the house).

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Have you considered trying to sell them a group life insurance policy?

"Hello Mr. ______, I wanted to talk to you about the warranty on your car that is about to expire."

"Oh, I'm glad you called, I was actually about to call you to see if your family will be financially prepared for your untimely and unexpected death"

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The conversation usually goes like this:
"Do you wan't the extendend warranty"
"No"
"Why not"
"Because if it were more to my benefit than yours you wouldn't be offering it"
"Tell that to the guy who was in here last week for the $7000 transmission job"
"Sure - send him in"

Sometimes I'll just say that I put aside all the money I've saved over the years by not buying extended warranties to pay for any unexpected $7000 transmission jobs.

In any case you aren't going to get that pitch from Rivian nor will they try to sell you undecoating.
That's typically my approach too. At some point you hit a cost risk that you want insured basically. Every other car I've had I've done exactly as you've described. But the though has popped into my head for this. Mostly due to unlnown repair costs that I can see being very high in some situations.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
... I mean I did order the Adventure package for $2000 which is primarily undercarriage protection.

OP
OP

Zeroemit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90 Hybrid

Well, i hope more indys like this show up for those that trust manufacturers to do the "right thing." Right to Repair law would go a long way.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Extended Warranty is something I do expect from Rivian, but I do not think I'd go for on the 1st gen Rivians. As it's been mentioned above, more advanced battery tech will be coming along. I do plan to trade up to a newer generation with the better tech when it comes out. Then I'd seriously consider and extended warranty.
Sponsored