Sponsored

Expected R1S information

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I agree that the camera recording will almost certianly be included with the R1S... But I don't think it's for the reason you state. Modern software is modular. Rivian should be able to include or not include modules, based on the equipment level of the vehicle. They can also substitute multiple implementations for the same interface, depending on the vehicle equipment. For example, they might have a drivetrain motor control module, and quad-motor vehicles get one implementation while dual-motor vehicles (Amazon vans? Future vehicle option?) get another module.
I do not think we are saying anything really different.
I also did not intend to imply that the software is not modular, just that the base code/framework is going to be the "same" and a large portion of the hardware is also the same.
So different things will be enabled/disabled depending on actual hardware, but the base code remains the same to allow for easy deployment of said modules.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
They actually corrcted length recently from 202 to 200.8
CS chat just confirmed 202" bumper-to-bumper. Now let's see how long it takes them to fix the web site.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Any chance you can give us an update on the Model Y after you drive it for a bit? I’m curious about drive, comfort, quality, and utilitarian use of it, especially as compared to the R1S. I’ve considered the Model Y for a while now, but I haven’t really cared for the looks of the vehicle (personal preference).
We did an overnight test drive with the 2021 Model Y in February as we considered replacing my wife's 2018 Gen 1 Model 3. We were VIN 15K, right before the new (much better) seats and additional trunk enclosures. Definitely had some first gen concessions. Noisy? Absolutely, but it drives likes its on rails and a good size for my wife. 40K miles, no major issues, replaced tires once.

In comparison to our Model 3, the 2021 Model Y with dual pane glass, and other upgrades proved to be a better ride with less wind noise. Faster, quieter, roomier, almost as fun to drive as the 3. The rear hatch is very nicely sized, and the power lift gate is a nice touch. I'm 6'3" and the seat height and size was fine. Model 3 seat, way to low for me, Model S was the best seat I've have on par with the BMW comfort seats. The Model Y for my 5'4" wife was a challenge. She needed to have the seat lifted very high in order to see out the front, and the kids in the back could only see a huge seat in front of them. Looks? Not so much for me, except the backend which I like.

Having said that, my previous 2016 Model S, 2018 Model 3, and the 2021 Model Y are still pretty rough and loud over our SoCal concrete freeways (all without air/adaptive suspension). Blacktop is near silent as the tires have foam and do not sing between 178 to 224 Hz. I had an X7 which was much more isolated from road and wind noise, though you could hear the engine purring at constant highway speed since all else was so quiet.

I've been looking forward to seeing, driving, and buying the R1S since Nov 2018. I know I'm taking a gamble with moving forward with the Model Y with the R1S seemingly around the bend, but I've been without reliable transport for months and need a safe reliable car for work an holiday travel.

Hopefully soon (by Thanksgiving), we will have an updated timeline on R1S deliveries. It looks like I should be OK with resale on the Y for a few months, if the R1S comes by years end or Q1 of 2022...

Last edited:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
So I had a nice chat with a CS rep today.
Disclaimer: it was a CS rep, not a guide...
- I asked about the possibility of charging at +300kw and he said off the gate the max charging speed will be ~200kw, but the +300kw will be with an over the air update. I asked him about the voltage system, but he didn't know about it, just what they told him.
- I asked if I would need to sing to the kiddos when there is no cell connection and they wouldn't be able to play their music, and he said there is a USB-C port in the center console used for data. It hasn't been confirmed quite yet, but he's sure it'll be able to play music loaded on a USB-C drive.
- I checked about that late Nov for guide contacts since it seems unlikely, and that I'd be OK if the date gets postponed, but they need to say something. He said that at this time they are still on track to complete all guide intros by the end of November and haven't been given communication otherwise. If the time frame changes, they will definetily communicate with the whole community.
- Last thing I checked on was about the R1S having a 3rd quick connect for a roof rack, and he said that's the case. I also asked him of I needed to buy 2 spares and just have one for a Xmas gift to someone, and he said that once there is a guide contact, the guide will be able to finalize the order adding the right accessory.

Gotta say, the CS reps are always nice, and I think they truly try to help with as much info as they can.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Thanks @Babbuino - this is exactly why everything in my Q&A thread should be taken with a grain of salt. Answers always depend on who you talk to and when.

Sponsored

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
CS chat just confirmed 202" bumper-to-bumper. Now let's see how long it takes them to fix the web site.
Whelp, time to remove the cabinet in front of the vehicle in my garage. Currently, with my Telluride parked in that position, I have 15" clearance with the back of the vehicle as close as possible to the garage door (approx 2"). at 202, the R1S is now approx 5" longer than the Telluride (which I'm OK with), but will now leave me 10" to squeeze through! Gotta organize the garage anyway!!!

koersontap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None!
Occupation
Engineer
- Last thing I checked on was about the R1S having a 3rd quick connect for a roof rack, and he said that's the case. I also asked him of I needed to buy 2 spares and just have one for a Xmas gift to someone, and he said that once there is a guide contact, the guide will be able to finalize the order adding the right accessory.

Gotta say, the CS reps are always nice, and I think they truly try to help with as much info as they can.
I had asked CS about this maybe a month ago. They told me that even once deliveries are being put out, that they were only selling the crossbars in pairs. She was very adamant about that fact. This in spite of the R1S having 3 mounts. So either they're not sure yet, or finally realized it didn't make sense. They also didn't have any idea about the possibility of rack mounts in the cargo area (which were spotted in early vehicles, but appear to have been removed)

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I had asked CS about this maybe a month ago. They told me that even once deliveries are being put out, that they were only selling the crossbars in pairs. She was very adamant about that fact. This in spite of the R1S having 3 mounts. So either they're not sure yet, or finally realized it didn't make sense. They also didn't have any idea about the possibility of rack mounts in the cargo area (which were spotted in early vehicles, but appear to have been removed)
I don't recall seeing the cargo area mounts in the R1S video RJ uploaded with him lying down with the seats down. At a minimum, it was removed from the version he was showing off...don't want to speculate but that is probably closer to a pre-production model than the prototypes that were making the rounds.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

- I asked about the possibility of charging at +300kw and he said off the gate the max charging speed will be ~200kw, but the +300kw will be with an over the air update. I asked him about the voltage system, but he didn't know about it, just what they told him.

Honestly I need to know a LOT more information about this, I have been reading all of Bosch's information from their website it sounds like they use a lot of their architecture and COTS products for their inverters as well as their motors (as mentioned from the other thread).

Along with their patent they have for parallel charging I can see this being the killer part of their BMS. Just need to talk to an engineer to see if its 100% legit or not.

Last edited:

JoeRMV

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX
I asked Rivian some questions on the R1S & below are the responses:

1. Ask the difference between 5 & 7 seat configuration: The main difference between the five and seven seat configurations of the R1S is the extra row of seating and the additional two USB-C ports that you gain when you have that third row installed, which would bring the total to eight.

2. Ask if Apple Carplay will be available at some point: We do not have Apple Carplay. We believe that to create a truly incredible digital experience, an integrated platform that is optimized for our vehicles is the better path. Sirius XM will also not be an option our vehicles at this time, but our vehicles will feature music options via Bluetooth.

3. Ask about keeping the Ocean Coast interior clean: As for maintaining the vegan leather seats, we recommend using either a damp cloth or a cleaner that is specific to that type of seating material. Take a look at page 161 in our Owner’s Guide for the R1T for more information. We have made sure to choose materials that are suited to more rugged use when designing our vehicles, so durability and cleanability have been taken into consideration.

4. Ask if a full size spare will be available: At this time the R1S will not be available with a full-sized spare since it would not fit in the under-floor storage area of the R1S.

5. Ask for delivery time frames for preorders: At this time the best reference point we can give for Adventure and Explore package deliveries is that they will begin January 2022. Guide contact will happen near Thanksgiving of this year and beyond. We should have more specifics to share closer to January to give a clearer expectation for deliveries. Once your preorder is getting close to production your Guide will reach out to introduce themselves and give you delivery timing as well as walk you through the rest of the process. Your Guide will stay assigned to you as long as you own your Rivian and is there to be a single point of contact to answer any questions you may have.

6. Ask if ok to charge to 100% every night regardless of the battery status: The battery can be charged to 100% every night without any worry of impacting the health of the battery. The Battery Management System in the vehicle regulates the health of the battery and will prevent over-charging.

7. Ask if it includes a tire pressure monitoring system: I can confirm that our vehicle is equipped with a tire pressure monitoring system. It will alert you if a tire is significantly under-inflated.

8. Ask if include power mirrors: I can also confirm that the R1S comes with power folding mirrors.

9. Ask Drivers was plus free? If not, what will be the costs: Driver + comes standard as well.

10. Ask what the Rivian phone functions: The phone app will be able to control the vehicle remotely and pair your phone with the vehicle to use as a digital key.

11. Ask about Alexa: Alexa can control physical vehicle functions such as HVAC, windows, opening and closing the front trunk, and more. Users will be able to check on their gear remotely by accessing the vehicle’s bed camera from anywhere via Alexa Fire. The integration also allows Rivian to provide new “car-to-home” and “home-to-car” skills unique to its vehicles, as well as access to certain Alexa features when the vehicle is offline.

12. Ask if there was touch screen in the rear? If so, what does it control?: I can confirm that there is a touch screen in front of the rear seat and that it is used for climate controls.

13. Ask about number & types of USB ports: I can also tell you that there are a total of eight USB C ports in the R1S with the third-row seat installed and six with the five-seat configuration.

14. Ask about the model year: I can confirm that the model year of your R1S will be a 2022.

15. Ask if access to Tesla chargers / compatibility: At this time the Tesla Supercharger Network is a closed system, but they have stated that they plan to open the network in the future to all EV users.

16. Other items: At this time, I don’t have information available to confirm the exact location of the blind spot sensor, the weight of the R1S, how navigation or Spotify will work with no signal, or if we will have charging stations at Wholefoods, but we will have more information coming in the near future so stay tuned.

Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Also I would add being able to comfortably/legally tow 5-6000 pounds to that list.
For us it would be 7,500 pounds, but I'm just talking about our three high-level requirements. Nobody else has anything planned to meet even those. When you starting adding more it just becomes less likely that anyone has anything in the pipeline to meet them.

Maybe if Tesla did a CyberSUV with 4 conventional doors (to allow roof racks), a flat roof to a vertical(ish) tailgate, and seating for 7 they'd be in the running.

KingofThorns

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lexus GX 460
Occupation
Attorney
We did an overnight test drive with the 2021 Model Y in February as we considered replacing my wife's 2018 Gen 1 Model 3. We were VIN 15K, right before the new (much better) seats and additional trunk enclosures. Definitely had some first gen concessions. Noisy? Absolutely, but it drives likes its on rails and a good size for my wife. 40K miles, no major issues, replaced tires once.

In comparison to our Model 3, the 2021 Model Y with dual pane glass, and other upgrades proved to be a better ride with less wind noise. Faster, quieter, roomier, almost as fun to drive as the 3. The rear hatch is very nicely sized, and the power lift gate is a nice touch. I'm 6'3" and the seat height and size was fine. Model 3 seat, way to low for me, Model S was the best seat I've have on par with the BMW comfort seats. The Model Y for my 5'4" wife was a challenge. She needed to have the seat lifted very high in order to see out the front, and the kids in the back could only see a huge seat in front of them. Looks? Not so much for me, except the backend which I like.

Having said that, my previous 2016 Model S, 2018 Model 3, and the 2021 Model Y are still pretty rough and loud over our SoCal concrete freeways (all without air/adaptive suspension). Blacktop is near silent as the tires have foam and do not sing between 178 to 224 Hz. I had an X7 which was much more isolated from road and wind noise, though you could hear the engine purring at constant highway speed since all else was so quiet.

I've been looking forward to seeing, driving, and buying the R1S since Nov 2018. I know I'm taking a gamble with moving forward with the Model Y with the R1S seemingly around the bend, but I've been without reliable transport for months and need a safe reliable car for work an holiday travel.

Hopefully soon (by Thanksgiving), we will have an updated timeline on R1S deliveries. It looks like I should be OK with resale on the Y for a few months, if the R1S comes by years end or Q1 of 2022...
Thank you - that is quite helpful! I am definitely worried about quality of build, comfort and road noise. I loathe road noise and will definitely purchase a vehicle based on the road noise within it. I scrapped the Volvo S60 because of its road noise, and bought my current car because it was quiet. Anyways, thanks again!

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Thank you - that is quite helpful! I am definitely worried about quality of build, comfort and road noise. I loathe road noise and will definitely purchase a vehicle based on the road noise within it. I scrapped the Volvo S60 because of its road noise, and bought my current car because it was quiet. Anyways, thanks again!
I'm absolutely with you in regards to road noise, and tire humming... I'm hopeful the Rivian has proper sound insulation, and without engine noise it will be divine.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I'm absolutely with you in regards to road noise, and tire humming... I'm hopeful the Rivian has proper sound insulation, and without engine noise it will be divine.
some of the reviews from the Colorado event specifically mentioned that the car was very quiet. This was even with off-road tires, so I’m hopeful