First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
At one time, 'road hugging weight' was seen as a marketing positive ! ??‍?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I hate HATE the roadwear argument. With the equation being 4th power, they are worse than a lighter weight vehicle, but heavy trucks travel on all the roads I travel on. They do the vast majority of the damage.

The argument about noise comes down to the type of tire on the vehicle, not strictly the size or weight of the vehicle.

For the Towing argument, heavier vehicles are actually going to tow heavy loads better because the trailer isn't going to push them around as much.

This just feels like a hit piece on EVs without actually expanding on their arguments.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This just feels like a hit piece on EVs without actually expanding on their arguments.
I watched most of it and didn't take it that way. Just seemed like it was information for someone that didn't know how heavy EVs are. That's why I stopped about 2/3's the way through, no new information.

Reactions: Guy

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Until someone figures out how to increase battery density (more power in a smaller, lighter pack) or we start making entire vehicles out of carbon fiber, this is how it’s going to be. It will get better in the future.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Until someone figures out how to increase battery density (more power in a smaller, lighter pack) or we start making entire vehicles out of carbon fiber, this is how it’s going to be. It will get better in the future.
Solid State Batteries! Next year - we promise! ?

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Solid State Batteries! Next year - we promise! ?
I hear solid state batteries are going to come out next year along with Tesla's Robotaxis.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I mean... Americans are heavy too, we do alright.
Agree with @ads75.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
The delta between the EV weight and that of a comparable ICE vehicle in the same category is much smaller than I suspected. A few hundred pounds? I think it undermines his arguments...

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I mean... Americans are heavy too, we do alright.
Agree with @ads75.
Americans in Rivian, a deadly combo.

I didn’t take it as a hit piece. I especially think it is going to sell more EVs because people may want to protect their family in an accident. He was basically saying natural selection is on the side of EVs. Get rid of your ICE if you want to live.

Last edited:

Eeyore

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, ID.4 Pro S, Honda Fit
Occupation
Union Journeyman Electrician, foreman
Clubs

I hate HATE the roadwear argument. With the equation being 4th power, they are worse than a lighter weight vehicle, but heavy trucks travel on all the roads I travel on. They do the vast majority of the damage.
In Oregon, the vast majority of damage caused to roads, especially I-5, is caused by studded tires. I hate, HATE studded tires! The 2 or 3 days a year when you might want them in the Willamette Valley doesn't justify putting them on in November and leaving them on until the end of March. If you can't get by with M&S tires, stay home. It's those kinds of people who drive the speed limit in the middle lane and won't change lanes until they get off the freeway. That leaves ruts in the road surface that are noisy and create a real hazard when it rains because they fill with water. Can you say hydroplane? If people think the really need studded tires, they should have to pay a yearly fee to cover the damage they cause, or they should buy stud-less winter tires. </rant>

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

In Oregon, the vast majority of damage caused to roads, especially I-5, is caused by studded tires. I hate, HATE studded tires! The 2 or 3 days a year when you might want them in the Willamette Valley doesn't justify putting them on in November and leaving them on until the end of March. If you can't get by with M&S tires, stay home. It's those kinds of people who drive the speed limit in the middle lane and won't change lanes until they get off the freeway. That leaves ruts in the road surface that are noisy and create a real hazard when it rains because they fill with water. Can you say hydroplane? If people think the really need studded tires, they should have to pay a yearly fee to cover the damage they cause, or they should buy stud-less winter tires. </rant>
Studded tires are legal here if they aren't reaching the road surface. So they are essentially illegal. Our roads are absolute shit without them so it seems like a stupid argument to me. We have plenty of the ruts in the road like you're talking about from heavy trucks. Seems like you're misattributing the problem to me.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird