L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S QM-Large, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Filmmaker
Clubs

You know what's interesting about the idea of running boards is that the new Mercedes-Benz EQS SUV has them built in and they claim it *helps* the aerodynamics! So maybe they'll be a Rivian add-on accessory in the future?

But I agree, a-pillar grab handles seems like a no-brainer solution for a variety of reasons.
Sponsored

casablanca

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3, BMW X5
Occupation
Financial Advisor
thanks for the responses everyone. glad to know its not just me. i did try entering and exiting the vehicle about 15 times while in standard height. though i got more familiar it didnt really get any easier. my wife is 5'0 so its definitely going to be a challenge. time to stop by ikea for a nice folding step stool.

and i can see, as @kurtlikevonnegut pointed out, i think those side bolsters are going to take some wear and tear. dont know if thats any different from other off road vehicles but can see it happening.
Makes me start to question my interior color choice. Really love the OC but the extra wear on such a light interior could make BM a better long term choice.
Also, 100% support adding running boards. Hopefully factory option forthcoming.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

A grab handle on the A-pillar would be great. I am 5' 11" and in standard height, getting in and out is just on the edge of awkward. The kids really have to scramble in there but they are determined.

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Sweetie is… 5' 1.5".

We can put in a mini-tramp next to the driveway. But that's a little cumbersome to carry around.
Tell me more about this mini-tramp - are they that much shorter than Sweetie <cough>?

Sponsored

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
I fully support the A-pillar grab handles, but ingress and egress modes aren’t a $5k solution. Yes, retractable running boards would be a pricey fix, but airing out the suspension on park is already feasible with an OTA update (and is already on the roadmap).
I agree I'm guilty of hyperbole, but goddamn kneel mode is so much more complicated! I'd rather incur wear on the air suspension due to actually driving and enjoying the truck, not cause I need it to get in and out easier which is still annoying even in lowest sport setting. I'm 5'10" so it's not horrific but smushing the thigh bolsters every time going in or out irks me when I know grab bars would prevent me wrinkling the beautiful seats

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I really, really, wish they would have offered some type of running board or step bar, at least as an option. My biggest fear is how well the seat bolsters are going to hold up on the sides. Can't wait for someone to offer something along that line as an aftermarket modification.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m 6’2” so it’s really not an issue for me, but my 5’4” wife could really use an A-Pillar handle.

Hoo D. Hoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Prius, 2022 Pacifica PHEV, 2023 Bolt EUV
Occupation
Curmudgeon
Congrats on your delivery, Beavis!

McRivian67

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 SR RWD, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Accountant
Perhaps it's been said, I have the opposite problem currently in my model 3. At 6'6" getting in and out of a car that close to the ground is starting to wear on me. The prospect of just sliding right into the Rivian seems almost too good to be true. .

Sponsored

jbssfelix

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3; Rivian R1S
Clubs

As someone who likes to take his SUV's off road, I'm actually glad they didn't make it a standard feature. As was stated earlier, running boards tend to just get smashed and sheared off, often taking other body panels along for the ride into damageland.

Now, I do agree that there should be an option to equip runners to one for the other 90% of folks that will use it as an 800hp daycare shuttle. Hopefully that comes in a future update as a bolt-on.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
As someone who likes to take his SUV's off road, I'm actually glad they didn't make it a standard feature. As was stated earlier, running boards tend to just get smashed and sheared off, often taking other body panels along for the ride into damageland.

Now, I do agree that there should be an option to equip runners to one for the other 90% of folks that will use it as an 800hp daycare shuttle. Hopefully that comes in a future update as a bolt-on.
The sliders pictured on the prototype spotted with a winch look like they stick out enough with the door open to make a useful step.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Just another thing to break later
Huh? Air suspension is making changes all the time. Plus suspension moves all the time.

Plus best part is the "don't use it so it will last forever" crowd, can simply turn it off.
Sponsored