Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

i know that the wood on the dash is a veneer, but is it really thin enough that sanding would get you down to the substrate? I only asks because of the Rivian name etched or carved into the lower passenger side of the trim. At a bare minimum it looks like that one piece is thicker.

Rivian R1T R1S Email: Ocean Coast Design Update – Dark Ash Wood or Wrapped Vegan Leather A99ABA6F-0457-4F16-BDA3-726DA55DC8A5
Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
OG OC....

Interior Front.png

New OC...

FadzoFWVEAA-bf6.jpeg

FadzsuIVEAAbvJS.jpeg
We need to eliminate the light wood photos from the internet as they make me sad. I like the light better, but I still like the new OC better than all others.

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
i know that the wood on the dash is a veneer, but is it really thin enough that sanding would get you down to the substrate? I only asks because of the Rivian name etched or carved into the lower passenger side of the trim. At a bare minimum it looks like that one piece is thicker.

A99ABA6F-0457-4F16-BDA3-726DA55DC8A5.jpeg
The veneers are generally very thin - partly for safety. I'm not sure how thick the Rivian veneer is, but years ago, on an Audi A8 I saw dismantled, it was less than a millimeter. At any rate, you could easily sand through it.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
You can see Tesla's white interior from space! If you put them side by side you can see how the Ocean Coast interior is not even close to white. It is a greyish blue.

Tesla White (Left) Rivian Ocean Coast (Right)

Screen Shot 2022-08-21 at 11.35.55 AM.png
My coworker has the tesla interior. It is super bright white. My wife's kia is very much like ocean coast that is a light grey. It has held up very well over the last two years (no marks at all). My coworker's tesla has to be cared for due to how bright the white is...

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

My coworker has the tesla interior. It is super bright white. My wife's kia is very much like ocean coast that is a light grey. It has held up very well over the last two years (no marks at all). My coworker's tesla has to be cared for due to how bright the white is...
Tesla white care: wet baby wipes or if it’s really dirty cloth/paper with a little 409 sprayed on (advice from Tesla test drive people).

Sponsored

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
We need to eliminate the light wood photos from the internet as they make me sad. I like the light better, but I still like the new OC better than all others.
It’s a major design change, in the sense that the light wood introduced a warmth to the interior; with black or gray on the dash there’s no warmth in the cabin.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
It’s a major design change, in the sense that the light wood introduced a warmth to the interior; with black or gray on the dash there’s no warmth in the cabin.
Agreed. Oh well. I still like the grey enough to dive in. Maybe in a few years from now they'll lighten it up again but I'm not willing to wait that long, and I don't like the vegan wrapped. So new ocean coast here we go.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
Agreed. Oh well. I still like the grey enough to dive in. Maybe in a few years from now they'll lighten it up again but I'm not willing to wait that long, and I don't like the vegan wrapped. So new ocean coast here we go.
Agreed - I like it too! It’s certainly beautiful to the eye. Did you see RJ’s tweet video of the new interior? It’s stunning. I keep wishing these folks had showrooms though. I did my first mile drive 3 months ago and I have so many design questions now with no way to see them in person.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I actually prefer the OC with the darker wood. It's a sharp contrast in my view. So ... I'm great with the change.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Amen, Rivian_Hugh_III, amen. I loved the warmth that the lighter color wood provided and that captures Ocean Coast much closer than this version which I still call Mountain Coast. Mountain Coast has a completely different vibe.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

seems more like dead sea or black sea to me now.

TXR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order
Amen, Rivian_Hugh_III, amen. I loved the warmth that the lighter color wood provided and that captures Ocean Coast much closer than this version which I still call Mountain Coast. Mountain Coast has a completely different vibe.
Agreed. I feel like fewer colors pair great with OC now.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Also I'm very curios who is going to be first to get one.

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I agree. Now that the light wood option appears to be dead I may switch to FE completely. In fact I'm 99% sure I will just to avoid the black wood.
I'm a little confused. Doesn't all wood (ok, most wood) start out unstained like ocean coast? Couldn't one simply "stain" the wood veneer with a natural clear sealer?
Sponsored