Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Talk amongst yourselves....

[Update with Rivian Post with additional photos]

We appreciate your excitement for your preorder. As previously announced, we have been working through supply chain challenges that have made it difficult to source the light ash wood needed for our Ocean Coast interior.

To overcome these challenges, we are happy to introduce an updated Ocean Coast design that replaces the light wood accents with dark-stained wood.

Importantly, this design update allows us to begin making Ocean Coast deliveries.​
Rivian R1T R1S Email: Ocean Coast Design Update – Dark Ash Wood or Wrapped Vegan Leather 668274db-8988-43aa-bbaf-2993ec3f989e
We are excited by the new design and how the new dark wood accents contrast the lighter materials throughout the cabin. You can also see more photos of the new design in the configurator.

If you prefer having lighter accents throughout the cabin, we will be introducing a new Ocean Coast trim with a wrapped vegan leather instrument panel as part of our Adventure Package in the configurator later this year, with deliveries starting in early 2023. I shared more about these Ocean Coast updates with our friends at Rivian Stories, which you can watch here.​
Rivian R1T R1S Email: Ocean Coast Design Update – Dark Ash Wood or Wrapped Vegan Leather fb54cb2e-0922-4da6-9c34-f2e9706a4f0d
Here are your next steps as a result of this update:​
  • If you like Ocean Coast’s new dark-stained ash wood, no action is necessary.
  • If you prefer to change your preorder to another interior option altogether, you can do that in your configuration now. We will provide updated timing as soon as it’s available after changes are made.
  • If you prefer lighter accents and want to wait for the wrapped vegan leather Ocean Coast trim, we will notify you later this year when the choice is added to the configurator and you can make changes then.
We appreciate your patience on our path to getting you your vehicle. As always, if you have any questions, please reach out.

Tony Caravano
Head of Rivian Customer Engagement​
Sponsored

Last edited:

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
If I am interpretting this correctly, my OC choice now will have dark/black wood and I do NOT need to do anything unless I do NOT want that color of wood.

I am pleased as I like the black wood much better than the lighter colored wood.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
"Any customer can have a car [interior] painted any color that he wants, so long as it is black" - Henry Ford . . . and Rivian

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I'm glad I didn't switch configurations to get an earlier truck. I like that the dark ash should reduce the interior brightness somewhat. I'm a pre-price-hike preorder so OC is no extra cost. The light ash is prettier (in theory), but I'm happy with this compromise.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I'm still processing this. They call it Dark Ash Wood in the email, but it looks like it is just Black Mountain.

If they haven't designed a new color for Ocean Coast - why not let us pick the wood from Forest Edge? I prefer that color over this BMish color.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
I'll take the light dash, but they better not charge more for it.
I do not like the idea of a leather wrapped dash. The light ash wood was a beautiful look. That config appears to be dead.

IThinkFreely

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, R1S, Bronco Badlands
I'm still processing this. They call it Dark Ash Wood in the email, but it looks like it is just Black Mountain.

If they haven't designed a new color for Ocean Coast - why not let us pick the wood from Forest Edge? I prefer that color over this BMish color.
I agree. Now that the light wood option appears to be dead I may switch to FE completely. In fact I'm 99% sure I will just to avoid the black wood.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I do not like the idea of a leather wrapped dash. The light ash wood was a beautiful look. That config appears to be dead.
Yes, that option is dead. I would have preferred it too, though I did like the leather-wrapped dash on my wife's Velar.

I can empathize with Rivian needing to make changes to account for supply constraints, but they need to empathize with customers by not trying to increase prices on these revised designs. What they're doing with the floor mats, for example, is a slap in the face.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Also, I think it is probably safer to say that this is now Mountain Coast, not Ocean Coast (you heard it here - I want credit! :cool:)

I think RIVIAN was smart to make a change here because they were just delaying OC pre-order holders indefinitely because of the OC wood. But, I would have liked to have have seen the wood from FE as an option for us to select since they aren't providing an alternative wood here anyway.

Presumably, they should have FE and BM wood available. Give us the choice. Otherwise, I am supportive of RIVIAN's decision.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Yes, that option is dead. I would have preferred it too, though I did like the leather-wrapped dash on my wife's Velar.

I can empathize with Rivian needing to make changes to account for supply constraints, but they need to empathize with customers by not trying to increase prices on these revised designs. What they're doing with the floor mats, for example, is a slap in the face.
Wait - what are they doing with the floor mats? I missed that!

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

They might allow "mix 'n match" trim options in the future, but I think they will be focusing on batching a minimal set of fixed configurations for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Jac

kvenom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
So they couldn't get any light wood up to standard and scrapped that option enitrely? Yikes.

Gavinmcc

First Name
Gavin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T!
Occupation
Medical
Floor matts: all black now without the yellow rivian accent.

I think somewhere people did show the ocean coast with both the BM and FE wood. The FE wood, to me, just looked wrong with the light color
Sponsored