Sponsored

Electric Airstream

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yeah, this makes a lot of sense - we're probably overdue for a BiDi connector standard (if there isn't one already) for high voltage DC between trailers and tow vehicles, so you could have any mix of motors powered by the tow vehicle, batteries powering the tow vehicle, etc. In the meantime I'd be wary of something like the eStream, which feels like a pretty hacky solution.
High voltage DC running between truck and trailer... what could possibly go wrong?!
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The airstream concept is overkill to me, they basically put two complete EV drivetrains into a trailer.
I can just see it now. The tow vehicle is out/away from the camp site and then someone uses the trailer with the remote to get to the store.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I can just see it now. The tow vehicle is out/away from the camp site and then someone uses the trailer with the remote to get to the store.
Opportunities are boundless, great for pranking. motor The trailer to the other side of the campground while the rest of your party is away. Position it slightly askew in the site Etc

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Inevitably outlandish pricing aside, that TVV is a cool concept but the Looooong wheelbase and van platform will be very limited off the beaten path.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We already have an unmotorized Airstream. We plan to tow with our R1T. We don't how well it will do, but will report.

Brian

Sponsored

1civilengr

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Touareg TDI, Honda Fit
Occupation
Engineer
My wife just showed me Airstream's new concept - the E-Stream: https://www.thorindustries.com/innovation-estream
This is an all electric camping trailer with integrated solar, major battery capacity, and drive motors to reduce the trailer load on the tow vehicle (extending range).

Realistically, this probably won't be available for another 5 years or so (although Ford keeps showing their F-150 Lightning towing an Airstream. Maybe there is some co-development going on). But it makes a huge amount of sense to use the big roof area of a camping trailer for solar, and the available space under the floor for extensive batteries. With the proper integration, the trailer and tow vehicle could communicate, potentially using the trailer's batteries to extend range significantly.

I love, love, LOVE this idea! Of course, they aren't even providing an overly optimistic guess at a price now (a standard 20' single axle Airstream currently sells for over $100K). Guessing this will be ~ $150K trailer.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
$10k max pack upgrade vs $200k conceptual travel trailer:idea:

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Wicked cool. Certainly should solve the sway problem.

1civilengr

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Touareg TDI, Honda Fit
Occupation
Engineer
We already have an unmotorized Airstream. We plan to tow with our R1T. We don't how well it will do, but will report.

Brian
We are planning on the same thing. Using our diesel VW as a tow vehicle for long trips until the long distance charging is better figured out (also for the 18 months or so until our R1T will be available).

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We are planning on the same thing. Using our diesel VW as a tow vehicle for long trips until the long distance charging is better figured out (also for the 18 months or so until our R1T will be available).
We will keep our Diesel Silverado for the long haul trips. Our R1T is due to be delivered in the first half of 2023. We will have a chance to try towing the Airstream sooner though. Our son is due to receive his R1S Launch Edition in April/May of this year.

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Back in 1885:
https://www.daimler.com/company/tradition/company-history/1885-1886.html#:~:text=1885–1886.,on New Year's Eve 1879.

"Burning a fire in a wagon using gasoline... what could possibly go wrong?"

LOL. But yeah, I'd rather have two chargers instead of one at the RV park so you get maximum charging and power capabilities
If you can’t see the difference in safety between a single fuel tank contained within a structure designed to handle wrecks and a 400+ Volt cable passing between a truck and trailer . . . ?

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
If you can’t see the difference in safety between a single fuel tank contained within a structure designed to handle wrecks and a 400+ Volt cable passing between a truck and trailer . . . ?
I'm just messing with you, but IF they were to ever do this, I'm sure they would secure it properly or disengage it properly if the connection were separated. Just like how a fuel tank is pretty robust now in ICE vehicles. I would also assume any connection between the tow truck and this trailer would only be used in a parked position at say an RV site to recharge both batteries. But again, I wouldn't want this to happen.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm just messing with you, but IF they were to ever do this, I'm sure they would secure it properly or disengage it properly if the connection were separated. Just like how a fuel tank is pretty robust now in ICE vehicles. I would also assume any connection between the tow truck and this trailer would only be used in a parked position at say an RV site to recharge both batteries. But again, I wouldn't want this to happen.
I figured you were joking, and so was I, hence the tongue out smiley. I’m sure it’s theoretically possible to limit the potential dangers, but I hope we’re a good few years from anyone trying!
Sponsored