First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Financial Services
This isn’t a Rivian-specific question but more of an general EV question.

What are the negative impacts of 0-60 launches on the vehicle? Whatever they are, the trade off is obviously worth it as making your passengers giggle uncontrollably is one of the great side benefits of EV ownership!

I bet this has been discussed elsewhere on Tesla or other EV enthusiast forums. Sure there’s tire wear but what about long-term battery range impact? Any vehicle or battery engineers in the room? Or someone with better Google-fu than me?
Sponsored

Snazzy Labs

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Genesis GV80, Coda EV
Occupation
YouTuber
Effectively nothing. The only thing you have to worry about is keeping your battery SoC happy throughout the life of ownership and that's it. I've also heard tons of launches do result in one fairly major side effect: happiness

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Faster tire wear :)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Could cause premature wear in the geartrain. Sounds pretty hard on it. Still wouldn't expect anything to break before the warranty is up though.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
Excess wear and tear on the Vegan Leather seats as the body is thrust back due to the high G's due to rapid acceleration could be a problem.

Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Excess wear and tear on the Vegan Leather seats as the body is thrust back due to the high G's due to rapid acceleration could be a problem.
And people 💩ing themselves...

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Could cause premature wear in the geartrain. Sounds pretty hard on it. Still wouldn't expect anything to break before the warranty is up though.
+1

Also, your cervical spine probably won't complain for a few years, but after a while, those cumulative whiplashes will eventually catch up with your discs.

:confused:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
This isn’t a Rivian-specific question but more of an general EV question.

What are the negative impacts of 0-60 launches on the vehicle? Whatever they are, the trade off is obviously worth it as making your passengers giggle uncontrollably is one of the great side benefits of EV ownership!

I bet this has been discussed elsewhere on Tesla or other EV enthusiast forums. Sure there’s tire wear but what about long-term battery range impact? Any vehicle or battery engineers in the room? Or someone with better Google-fu than me?
launching any car from a stop, especially using a launch mode is pretty hard on everything. You are binding and twisting all the metal half shafts and U-joints. Not to mention it’s hard on the battery pack.

what’s wrong with a rolling start? 😁

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I'm pretty sure the manual suggests going easy on the go pedal to maximize battery longevity as well (high rates of charging and discharging are hard on it).

That said, I'm sure gunning it an average number of times is properly considered in their product life expectancy models and absolutely would not worry about doing it for funsies.
Sponsored