First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I have a service tech here (Montana) tomorrow. I'll ask him if he knows the process and if I learn anything I'll post here.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

fill the front trunk with cash and take an R1T to Hutchinson for the only real road legal beadlocks

https://www.hutchinsoninc.com/rock-monster-wheels/
These are cheaper than some of the other options people have posted on the site. Though that's probably not going to be true since the Rivian can't fit smaller than 20s unless the brakes are changed out too. Reached out anyway.

BCinOC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Woodworker
Sorry if i missed this in your thread, but what tires are those and are they rated to support the 3.5 ton (7100 lb) Rivian?

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Sorry if i missed this in your thread, but what tires are those and are they rated to support the 3.5 ton (7100 lb) Rivian?
Most tires in this size range have a load rating of at least 2,500 lbs. So, even with payload, they will hold the Rivian's weight just fine. Rivian stock all-terrain tires have a load rating of 2,760 lbs. The tires I have on the truck are load rated for over 3,750 lbs, so I could pretty much handle two Rivian's on these tires.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Put in about 50 miles today. Standard trip. Was 106 degrees out again today, so AC was full blast. I've been averaging between 1.75 and 2.0 miles (on a good day) per / wh. Was right at 1.85 miles per / wh today. Of the 50 miles, roughly 60% of it was on the freeway at 70-75 mph. So, if there's any measurable hit in range, it's pretty minimal. If I had driven more conservatively, probably could have gotten 2.0 mi/wh. Expected to see more, especially considering these tires are heavy duty tires that weigh a good 12 lbs more than the stock tires. So, even with 48 extra pounds of rolling mass, no significant impact to range noted with the fitment reflected above.

Waiting on the TPMS's to show up to install the second set of wheels / tires. Will update once those get those on there.
Drove another 40 miles today, mostly city street driving in the 40-45 mph range, several up and down hills and shockingly, did not reset the trip meter from the prior 50 mile drive noted above, but my miles per / wh jumped all the way up to2.35. Wish I had reset it as that's the end result, being weighed down by the prior 1.85 figure. So, guessing, it had to be closer to the 2.7 to 2.8 today alone, which just doesn't seem logical. But, 90 miles now and it's at 2.35, which I'd be happy with on it's own. Certainly doesn't appear to be any range hit with these wheels and tires.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Got the next set of wheels & tires in. If the wheels fit, I think I'll have the set I'm sticking with. Just waiting for the sensors to arrive as I don't want to have to dismount them. As much as the existing wheels have grown on me, and actually gotten quite a few compliments on them, the new one's are more my personal style. If they look like I think they will and they will actually fit the truck (clear the calipers), pretty sure this will be the last change.

BCinOC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Woodworker
Most tires in this size range have a load rating of at least 2,500 lbs. So, even with payload, they will hold the Rivian's weight just fine. Rivian stock all-terrain tires have a load rating of 2,760 lbs. The tires I have on the truck are load rated for over 3,750 lbs, so I could pretty much handle two Rivian's on these tires.
And what brand and model are they? They are nice aggresive looking tires.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

And what brand and model are they? They are nice aggresive looking tires.
Versatyre MXT/HD LT 285/60R20 Load F 12 Ply MT M/T Mud

I think I'm swapping out the wheels and tires, so these tires might be available if you have an interest in them?. As of right now, they have less than 100 miles on them. Planning to make the swap tomorrow. So, mileage won't go up by more than another 30 miles before they get taken off. I mention it only because your profile says you're in SoCal, so could pick them up and save on tax/shipping, etc. If interested, send me a private message and we'll chat further.

And, they will fit on the stock 20" Rivian wheels, so if you just wanted the more aggressive tire look and use, would certainly be a good fit on stock wheels. With the extra 1/2 clearance due to the smaller 33 1/2 circumference, combined with the stock offset of the Rivian Wheels, these would stay tucked under the fender wells very well with absolutely no rubbing issues.

Rivian R1T R1S EDIT: NEW TIRES INSTALLED  / Got the new wheels / tires installed...photos to show fitment, not wheel choice 1656609089776

Last edited:

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Quoted me "$5-6k each". I'm assuming that's per wheel. A bit rich, but I've told them that I'll be interested when they can bring it down to that per set of four.
Not bad for what at this point would be one offs. that’s a ”if you really want it we’ll make it” price if I ever saw one 🤣

Their production 18” ones are about $900 each, it seems. So $5-6k for a set of 20“ would probsbly be about right If they ever had enough demand.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

EDITED ORIGINAL POST TO SHOW FITMENT WITH NEW 275/60/20 Pirelli Scorpion tires. 33" tire, same circumference as on the 21 and 22 inch wheels from Rivian. In my own opinion, this is the size they should have stuck with. Fits the truck / wheel wells much better. The 34's, for me, just dominate too much of the wheel well space. See added photos in OP.

NeuronBasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, VW Taos
Clubs

Quoted me "$5-6k each". I'm assuming that's per wheel. A bit rich, but I've told them that I'll be interested when they can bring it down to that per set of four.
Wonder what volume they’d need to get to that price point. Starting to be enough R1Ts out there that a group buy because at least remotely plausible.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
EDITED ORIGINAL POST TO SHOW FITMENT WITH NEW 275/60/20 Pirelli Scorpion tires. 33" tire, same circumference as on the 21 and 22 inch wheels from Rivian. In my own opinion, this is the size they should have stuck with. Fits the truck / wheel wells much better. The 34's, for me, just dominate too much of the wheel well space. See added photos in OP.
Great documented effort here. Did you get a solid efficiency rate with the 275/60s? You mentioned it was combined at first with some at 1.85 mi/kWh. I'm looking to go to 275/60 in a scorpion all season.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Great documented effort here. Did you get a solid efficiency rate with the 275/60s? You mentioned it was combined at first with some at 1.85 mi/kWh. I'm looking to go to 275/60 in a scorpion all season.
In my drive yesterday, over 100 miles, came home with a mi/wh at...........1.85!! So apparently no change.

I am happy to report that despite the speedometer being off, the odometer is still accurate. This is a drive I do every other week, so I know the exact door to door mileage and the total mileage was exactly the same. Rivian did confirm this in my phone call to them as well. Called them to see if they can update my truck to think it has the 21" tires to get the speedo back closer to the 3 MPH that they're already off by. But was happy to see that regardless of the 33 or 34, the odometer remains accurate. Rivian stated that the Odometer is GPS based while the speedometer is not. The fact that she had such a quick answer to that question tells me they're getting asked about it alot since the speedo's are so far off.

Keep in mind, my custom wheels are 18mm so they're pushed out about 1 inch. While I didn't notice any difference, theoretically, 275/60/20 on stock wheels, being in 1 inch, "SHOULD" be a little better aerodynamically. But, this thing is still a brick on wheels, push through a lot of air. I haven't been able to really notice and measurable variance thus far.
Sponsored