OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I congratulate you. Very informative. I, like you, have done a bunch of tire size research and commend you for outside the box thinking. I'm probably going 1" smaller in dia. to more match the 21s dia (better range and looks), @33". But those would be road tires. The 20 ATs are all I need for sand in the OBX.

What are you doing with OEM 20" wheels?
I've certainly considered that as well and may very well do that on the next set. 275/60/20 is what would put you at 33.

I'm happy with the fitment of the 285/60/20 shown, but if going with the 18mm offset, the 275 would assist in providing even more clearance, both in width and height. As noted, the tread lines up about even with the outside of the fender flares. A 275 would bring it in a little and provide roughly 1/8th inch more height clearance. Between the two, probably could be safe in the low suspension setting.

Have found a few 20mm wheels that have potential. So, if I choose to make a change, knowing me, I likely will just for fun, will probably select a 20mm offset wheel with the 275/60/20. That would narrow up the outside (bring it in) by 0.2 inches, in addition to the 2mm that would be gained from the 20mm offset. Between the two, about a 1/4 inch further in than this setup is.

In standard and high ride height, I like the current fitment, but for those that want to use low/lowest, that 1/4" would make a notable difference.

Am keeping the stock 20's in the garage. I always keep the original equipment until I sell the vehicle.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

This is about the only wheel I've found that would remotely consider that has less offset. This one is available in Silver or Black and has a 35mm offset. Looks more like a car wheel to me, than a 4x4 truck wheel. in my search for wheels with a 20mm offset, appears that "Fuel" wheels are the one's offering that size on several wheel choices with the correct bolt pattern. Not seeing much else with 20mm offsets besides Fuel wheel choices.

Rivian R1T R1S EDIT: NEW TIRES INSTALLED  / Got the new wheels / tires installed...photos to show fitment, not wheel choice 1656220918780

Last edited:

sac602

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4Runner, Lexus NX Hybrid
Clubs

thanks for the detailed post. any idea on how these wheels are affecting range? probably another 10% penaty or so?

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

thanks for the detailed post. any idea on how these wheels are affecting range? probably another 10% penaty or so?
Haven't driven enough yet to get a good gauge. But, will post an update as soon as I get a feel for it. Almost certainly going to be a hit.

If I do switch to the 20x9, 20mm offset and 275/60/20 tires, thinking those won't be much of hit. Will loose a little from them sticking out further, but possibly gain it back from having a smaller/lighter tire, so could be a wash. These at 33 1/2 are a little smaller, but the wheel is a little heavier. So aero is probably the biggest factor that will have an impact.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I wonder how this will turn if the suspension fails and the truck is slammed on the bump stops? That’s a primary reason I haven’t messed with non-stock size wheels and tires for my Land Rover.

Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
I cannot wait for the aftermarket to catch up with Rivian. People are going to experiment with what's available and not everyone is going to like what they do.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Wow. You invested a LOT of time into this aftermarket wheel project.

Unlike other pickup trucks currently on the market I don’t see a lot of aftermarket parts coming down the pike for the R1T. It‘s a very low volume BEV pickup truck. Aftermarket companies simply aren’t going to invest in tooling, R&D, etc. Sadly the manufacturing volume isn‘t like a Ford F-150.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I wonder how this will turn if the suspension fails and the truck is slammed on the bump stops? That’s a primary reason I haven’t messed with non-stock size wheels and tires for my Land Rover.
Of course anything can happen. Not sure you'd be able to drive with the stock 34" tires in that case. If anything, having come down to a 33 1/2 tire might give me a better chance. I know with the 34" stock tires, there's almost no gap, so if the suspension is able to go any lower than the lowest setting, those things won't be rolling either.

As noted earlier, 20mm offset with the 275/60/20 is probably going to provide more clearance than you have with stock 20" all-terrains.

I keep thinking I want to go all black wheels, but then I look at it, and I really don't dislike these wheels. They keep growing on me. The contrast is in line with the black and white already on the rest of the truck. And, I haven't really found an all black wheel that will fit that I like better.

Seriously considering the 275/60/20 tires though. I love the look of the Mud-Terrain tires, but they're definitely louder! Between that, and another 1/2 inch of clearance, combined with it being just a little bit narrower should eliminate any clearance issues.

Also, have a friend with a milling machine. These wheels are generally built with some extra metal. If I determine I like the wheels and want to keep them, could always mill down the hub 2-3mm to pull them in a little more. Would then be a 20-21mm offset. Everything is still on the table.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Wow. You invested a LOT of time into this aftermarket wheel project.

Unlike other pickup trucks currently on the market I don’t see a lot of aftermarket parts coming down the pike for the R1T. It‘s a very low volume BEV pickup truck. Aftermarket companies simply aren’t going to invest in tooling, R&D, etc. Sadly the manufacturing volume isn‘t like a Ford F-150.
It took a while for the Tesla to get some after-market options. But even they are still limited. Someone will take on the Rivian, assuming Rivian succeeds and starts getting more trucks out there, but it will be limited for sure. And the problem will be, the number of choices will be limited, so just like the limited number of Tesla tuners, they'll charge an arm and a leg for anything they offer due to low volume. That's where the Ford will always have an advantage. Plenty of options available, making it a competitive market.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

NVH and range impact plz

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This is about the only wheel I've found that would remotely consider that has less offset. This one is available in Silver or Black and has a 35mm offset. Looks more like a car wheel to me, than a 4x4 truck wheel. in my search for wheels with a 20mm offset, appears that "Fuel" wheels are the one's offering that size on several wheel choices with the correct bolt pattern. Not seeing much else with 20mm offsets besides Fuel wheel choices.

1656220918780.png
I don't think these wheels would stand up to hard off roading. I'm still waiting for someone to release wheels specifically meant for the Rivian with real bead locks, before I plonk down money on anything aftermarket. I don't need or want to make concessions.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I don't think these wheels would stand up to hard off roading. I'm still waiting for someone to release wheels specifically meant for the Rivian with real bead locks, before I plonk down money on anything aftermarket. I don't need or want to make concessions.
Probably true. Was simply pointing out, that was the only thing that came up that would physically fit that has less offset.

There's another post on one of the forums where someone had custom wheels made up for the Rivian. I think the set was around $6,000. I'm not allowed to post links to competing sites on here, so will have to search for it.

My problem with the stock wheels is, I'm not a fan of a flat wheel. As I noted, I like some concave to the wheel. Rivian, having gone with a whopping 48mm offset doesn't leave you much room. The custom wheels made that were done were flat as well. Different style, but still flat. I don't mind the styling of the stock 20" all-terrain wheel, besides it being a flat faced wheel. Again, for my personal tastes.

I did just get a call from another company. Have another set of wheels coming. Slightly less offset than the set I have on now. The set on there now is growing on me, so may end up keeping them anyway. But, now with a second set coming, I'm also going to mount a 33" tire on it. Not sure which wheel I'll like better. But I'll now have a choice between two different fitments.

In my head, I keep thinking I need to replace the one's I have on the truck, but then I look at it in person and I keep saying "they actually look pretty good on there". And so far, they've gotten a ton of compliments from those that have seen them in person. So this second set will have to be pretty special to get me to make the change permanently.

In either case, if I were to have to buy either set at full price, could do both, complete with tires, wheels, hub rings and lug nuts for around $3,000. Still less than the $3,500 Rivian charges you just to go from 21's to a black 20" or 22" wheel. With the Rivian upgrade, you end up with one set of wheels/tires. This way, I end up with two sets (will be three sets). Regardless of whether I like the new wheels/tires coming, they will certainly provide more good data on fitment as they should have notably more clearance. Height wise, with a 33" tire, they'll have much better height clearance than the stock tires and being a slightly narrower tire than what I have on it now (same as stock size tire), will have more clearance from the edge. Of course, will post those photos next week when I get them on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Put in about 50 miles today. Standard trip. Was 106 degrees out again today, so AC was full blast. I've been averaging between 1.75 and 2.0 miles (on a good day) per / wh. Was right at 1.85 miles per / wh today. Of the 50 miles, roughly 60% of it was on the freeway at 70-75 mph. So, if there's any measurable hit in range, it's pretty minimal. If I had driven more conservatively, probably could have gotten 2.0 mi/wh. Expected to see more, especially considering these tires are heavy duty tires that weigh a good 12 lbs more than the stock tires. So, even with 48 extra pounds of rolling mass, no significant impact to range noted with the fitment reflected above.

Waiting on the TPMS's to show up to install the second set of wheels / tires. Will update once those get those on there.

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I've been watching this thread and appreciate all of the info. My R1T came with 22s and I natively thought that I'd have more tire options than I do! Living in Montana and driving/towing on backroads has me looking at 20" options.

I have a test wheel to try this week. It's a 20x9 with +20 offset. I'll post up pictures if it fits and I move forward. I like the idea of a 275/60/20 to get the overall 33" diameter. In doing so, though, is there a way to recalibrate the speedometer?

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I've been watching this thread and appreciate all of the info. My R1T came with 22s and I natively thought that I'd have more tire options than I do! Living in Montana and driving/towing on backroads has me looking at 20" options.

I have a test wheel to try this week. It's a 20x9 with +20 offset. I'll post up pictures if it fits and I move forward. I like the idea of a 275/60/20 to get the overall 33" diameter. In doing so, though, is there a way to recalibrate the speedometer?
Exactly what I have going on the truck this week. I would assume that a call to service would answer the speedo question. The speedo is already off by a ton in the Rivian. Was 3 mph. With the 33 1/2's, it's now 5 mph. But, the 22's and 21's come with 33" tires, so they have to have a way to change it. Another half inch would probably send it off by 7 or 8 MPH. As soon as I get the 33's on, plan on calling them to find out. The Tesla was nice as it had an option in the car to change it. Unfortunately, haven't found such an option in the Rivian. Hopefully they can just push an update to the truck asap without having to bring it in.
Sponsored