First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It doesn't blend on one pedal, but it does on the actual brake pedal. I think it's entirely possible they might be able to blend on OPD but they aren't doing it now. My Polestar will, as would the Hummer, but they still exhibit the same slip behavior.
Uh, I'll double check in a minute, but I'm pretty sure the break pedal is only the mechanical breaks and it doesn't add in additional regen.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Uh, I'll double check in a minute, but I'm pretty sure the break pedal is only the mechanical breaks and it doesn't add in additional regen.
Yeah. The break pedal isn't impacting my regen.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I'm quite sure that it doesn't.

The issue (at least that Kyle saw) was when you're going slow and on a low friction surface the truck's traction control thinks it's stopped when in reality it isn't so it doesn't apply ABS on the regen at low speeds.
I think this afternoon's/evening's OTA may have partially addressed this?

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
@OutofSpecKyle did a review in snow and it did this. Seems crazy dangerous. Meaning on a slick surface if you remove your foot from the gas rapidly the wheels can lockup, nearly the exact opposite of what you want. This seems like a big deal but I have not gotten my R1S to test it :p

I have to imagine Rivian fixing this or people might have some serious accidents next winter. Maybe in heavy rain/light flooding if max regen is set.

So I got my Rivian in March of this year. My wife was driving in major snow storm last weekend and was very Sketchy. The issue with the Rivian is with regenerative braking if you go into a slide and take foot off of gas the brake kicks in so you go into a worse slide. So in atypical car you let off the gas when you go into slide and correct with no gas or brake. Anyone have a suggestion on how to handle and/or is there anyway to turn off regenerative braking. The other issue was the defrost was either on high or nothing at all. So they had to blow the defrost on High and sweat to death just to try and keep the windshield clear. Any one run into the same issue? Also found out the windshields would ice up and they would have to stop and knock the ice off of windshields.
Anyhow BEST car/truck I have ever owned and I have owned alot. Any responses would be great Thanks

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think this afternoon's/evening's OTA may have partially addressed this?
It said in rock crawl mode though didn't it?

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
  • Improved regenerative braking in low traction surfaces and during descents on rocky terrain in Rock Crawl mode
The "and" makes me think both.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Regardless of time of year, it’s odd that there are 8 drive modes, 4 of which are off road including drift and rally, yet no snow mode.

Regardless of time of year, it is odd that there is now a new sand mode before there is a snow mode.

Yea, I’m in CO. But I bet cross-country sand mode might be one of the least used needs anywhere. Sure a few people might use it, but overall it has to be diminimus. Further, over many decades, many off roaders have driven sand dunes/trails/beaches without a sand mode option in multiple vehicles, including me.

Sorry, this is bassackwards for an SUV, OR rig, or AWD vehicle.

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
Lol, true...you have to imagine on a per mile basis the vast majority of Rivians will be on asphalt/pavement, so dealing with a slick road sounds like a reasonable priority...

That said, from a "brand identity" perspective I see a bit of the why w/ the sand, drift, rally, rock crawl, etc.

Regardless of time of year, it’s odd that there are 8 drive modes, 4 of which are off road including drift and rally, yet no snow mode.

Regardless of time of year, it is odd that there is now a new sand mode before there is a snow mode.

Yea, I’m in CO. But I bet cross-country sand mode might be one of the least used needs anywhere. Sure a few people might use it, but overall it has to be diminimus. Further, over many decades, many off roaders have driven sand dunes/trails/beaches without a sand mode option in multiple vehicles, including me.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

I plan on using sand mode in snow when I have my R1T and no one can stop me

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It said in low traction scenarios and rock crawl. Or at least that was how I read it.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Completely agree that lack of a snow mode is kinda inexcusable. But to joke a bit, I'm guessing you haven't done Medano Pass yet then? I've yet to do it with my 4Runner, but it's been on my list for a few years. It leads over the pass into Great Sand Dunes National Park...I'm sure sand mode would be nice on that one.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/371-medano-pass

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I plan on using sand mode in snow when I have my R1T and no one can stop me
Rivian could - Seems like it would be quite easy for them to disable use of off-road modes when the GPS says you are on a road.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Rivian could - Seems like it would be quite easy for them to disable use of off-road modes when the GPS says you are on a road.
I didn’t say anything about roads. Where we’re going, we don’t need roads!
ps
google ”Manitoba winter” 🙃

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
What was the purpose of this?

Agree that this was dumb not to offer snow out of the gate.
Sponsored