Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
What was the purpose of this?

<removed>

Agree that this was dumb not to offer snow out of the gate.

friendly suggestion: dont link to some spam youtube channel, that's an official video

Sponsored

Last edited:

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I did and this is the picture that came up:

1653954590201.png

How's the traction control on those things?
Traction control? Uncoordinated! Note poor footwear choice by the lead canoeist

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

odingrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Ugh, my model 3 has that defroster issue, it absolutely drives me nuts. I've had to resort to cracking a window in a blizzard just to keep the temperature reasonable.
Legit annoys me so much I was looking forward to switching vehicles, bummed to hear it'll be on the Rivian as well.

OP
OP

Shlep4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2007 dodge Ram 535 BMW Lexus NS
Occupation
Financial advisor
Drove up to Breckenridge over Hoosier Pass in our R1T (also 22" wheels) during that same snowstorm and the truck felt pretty planted to me. Not rock solid but I wasn't white-knuckling it the whole time. I've driven a Model 3 for the last 3.5 years so OPD is second nature at this point which may help some, too.

This was a bigger issue - driving up from the Springs where it was pretty wet into the colder air meant all that snow clogged up the wipers pretty badly. Defrost kept the window from icing over (while we were sweating) but still couldn't melt what accumulated on the wipers. Had to pull over 4-5 times to clear the wiper blades.

I've had the same problem with the Model 3 in the past but I agree that this storm was different than normal with the big temperature swing and wet snow.

Regardless, I would gladly pay for heated wipers if the option were to present itself!!
Yes my wife ran into same issue with wipers very dangerous having to get in and out of car

mindstormsguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some
That’s unfortunate and surprising. There are heating elements on the glass where the wipers park. I would have thought that would prevent this.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
This is odd, i mean I get the winter testing was thermal management battery stuff but it would be noticeable to have these issues…

Sponsored

Gsxr150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F
Which tires do you have?

I hope Rivian introduces a snow mode before next winter. That said the only issue I have encountered with snow (on the 20" ATs) was that it has a hard time handling really deep snow. For typical winter highway driving I found it very competent.
What the!! WHY? Good weight and huge ground clearance, with aggressive tires. What are you talking about?

RVXIAN

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yes my wife ran into same issue with wipers very dangerous having to get in and out of car
Surprised by this I had checked some out and they have a wiper de-icer but don’t see any mention of it nor how to turn it on Maybe it’s just turned on with the side mirror and rear de icer. This is essential in Colorado during winter time. The other concern I would have is the angle of the headlights. I’m sure they’re prone to ice build up. This will decrease light output in the road. I guess we’ll find out this winter.
Rivian R1T R1S Driving in Snow E3F79906-2258-4179-A0FF-9CE5F6383B8A

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
We need a lower regen mode. "Coasting" is critical in this situation and I don't expect a non-professional driver to correctly modulate the exact pedal force required to 'coast' this vehicle in the middle of a potential crash...

Just "letting off" is much easier and most people can figure that out.

OP
OP

Shlep4

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2007 dodge Ram 535 BMW Lexus NS
Occupation
Financial advisor
They did in last update install a window defrost only in climate controls so hopefully that helps

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Bump.

Since Rivian missed Tony’s promised Friday and end of summer updates, Imma gonna keep asking for Snow Mode.

Meanwhile, this is not only an adventure issue, it is a safety issue with regen.

Rivian R1T R1S Driving in Snow FEF6A18A-EC36-4B34-AC95-A949E577FDE8
Sponsored