Sponsored

Driveshaft Failure?

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

Was on my way home from taking my kid to daycare and heard what sounded like a driveshaft letting go. Basically sounded like it spun off and broke. Immediately got errors for AWD unavailable and limited power followed by a good grinding sound when driving. Limped it home and requested service. The truck technically still drives and I don't have any motor faults but am leaving it parked until they figure out what's going on. Any idea of how long it is before they get back to you?
Sponsored

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. All depends on parts availability and how busy your local SC is. On my current service visit they were able to get parts overnight, but that also wasn’t a drivetrain issue. Hopefully they prioritize these kids of issues and if takes more than a week, I would insist on a loaner.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

<technically> Rivian doesn't have driveshafts.</technically>

It's possible you had a halfshaft failure or some other motor issue. I've heard of people breaking things in the rear end before since the angles are slightly more aggressive. You should be able to put the truck into the highest suspension mode and actually check to see if you busted a halfshaft by checking how loose they are. Personally I'd just pull a broken one out of the rear and leave the truck in conserve after doing a hard reset until service could fix my truck.

OP
OP

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

Yeah...I'm not screwing around with anything that can impact the warranty of a $75k truck with a very expensive drivetrain. I pinged my guide as well so hopefully someone calls me soon lol.

Blackhatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
Torque that these things make, small material imperfection in a CV bearing assembly could easily create a failure. This would, normally, be audible in turns if on the front axle and under load on the rear.

Sponsored

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Yeah...I'm not screwing around with anything that can impact the warranty of a $75k truck with a very expensive drivetrain. I pinged my guide as well so hopefully someone calls me soon lol.
call service directly; the only thing my guide has ever said about post-delivery issues is "call service"

OP
OP

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

Torque that these things make, small material imperfection in a CV bearing assembly could easily create a failure. This would, normally, be audible in turns if on the front axle and under load on the rear.
This is more than the usual clicking noise of a failing CV joint. It's a complete failure to transmit any kind of power. The failure didn't grow over time like the clicking CV joint either, it was fine then broken immediately.

call service directly; the only thing my guide has ever said about post-delivery issues is "call service"
Yep, I did that along with getting my guide involved. As an update, they are coming to tow the truck this afternoon and providing me with a rental car. Not another Rivian but it'll do for getting me around until this is fixed. In general, the service team has been great.

I'll keep you all updated though!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Did you crawl under your T and give the half shafts a wiggle at all? Wonder if it's "just" the CV's. For ease of service I hope so for Rivians sake, having to replace the rear drive units would be unfortunate and costly for them.

OP
OP

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

I didn't crawl under there. Mostly because it's super cold here right now and I really don't want to do that unless I have to...

OP
OP

SamDoe1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Ford GT350
Clubs

Just remembered I never updated the resolution of this! Apparently the rear passenger half shaft popped out of the rear motor disconnect and started grinding. I guess this is a known issue? In any case, they replaced both the half shaft and the disconnect as well as tightened it all down to prevent it from happening again. The truck got towed on Friday and I had it back Tuesday morning so overall happy with the turnaround time!
Sponsored