NoDakEric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'85 Monte Carlo SS, '20 I-Pace, '15 F-150,
Clubs

Customer Service says no info available on this yet. But they will comply with all safety requirements. That's a good thing. lol
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Customer Service says no info available on this yet. But they will comply with all safety requirements. That's a good thing. lol
CURRENT SEAT BELT WARNING SYSTEMS
Many automobile manufacturers install seat belt warning systems into their vehicles that cause a beeping or dinging sound if the driver has not buckled up. Some automakers also install these warning systems for front seat passengers. However, very few manufacturers install these systems for rear seat passengers.

THE 2012 REAR SEAT BELT RULE
In 2012, President Obama signed legislation into law that mandated the NHTSA to develop and issue a rule by October 2015 that requires rear seat belt warnings to be installed in all future manufactured vehicles. Two years later, and the NHTSA still has not developed the required rule.

LAWSUIT AGAINST THE DOT
The goal of the lawsuit, filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, is to force the NHTSA to take action and put the required rules into effect mandating the installation of rear seat belt warnings. In the lawsuit, KidsandCars.org and The Center for Auto Safety reference the fact that approximately 1,000 people lose their lives each year in the United States due to their failure to use rear seat belts.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.d...seat_belt_reminder_systems_anprm_09192019.pdf

bigdogrod

First Name
rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda ridgeline, pre order for cybertruck and r1t
i'm sorry, but if i want to throw myself through the windshield, that's my business. and i should pay insurance and medical costs to reflect that.

these nanny systems are getting to the point where if you are not in a 5 point harness with a helmet, have perfect blood pressure, and have gotten enough sleep last night the thing won't even start.

i can't even move our new 2020 mdx a few feet up the driveway with the door open, damn thing slams itself into park.

i understand this is for all the idiots out there who would try and drive down the street at speed with the door open (search for the youtube video of what happens next.. lol).

there should be an expert mode or something that you have to prove you are capable of operating in a particular fashion. maybe that way newb drivers can't get behind the wheel of a hellcat..

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
i understand this is for all the idiots out there who would try and drive down the street at speed with the door open (search for the youtube video of what happens next.. lol).
I actually think you're the perfect use case for why that safety system was implemented. Getting your head run over by the tire of 5000lb car doing 2mph is just as catastrophic as a car doing 50.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
there should be an expert mode or something that you have to prove you are capable of operating in a particular fashion.
There are two problems I see that would need to be fixed.
  • One, our driving tests have a woefully low bar. So it's easy for idiots to get behind the wheel. We need to raise the standard of those tests.
  • Two, we have people on the road who were tested with road rules from decades ago and are still allowed to drive. We need to incorporate some form of testing/update at the driver license renewal process to get everyone up to speed not just with changing road rules but evolving vehicle technologies.
Do these two things and maybe we can have an easy way of deciding who gets to turn on expert mode.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I actually think you're the perfect use case for why that safety system was implemented. Getting your head run over by the tire of 5000lb car doing 2mph is just as catastrophic as a car doing 50.
My 88 year old mother (when she was a spry 68) left the door open to step out and get the mail. She unfortunately left the car in Drive also. Yeah, when her weight was removed it started rolling, so she, as people do, tried to jump back in to stop it. She now has pins in one arm and one leg from that moment of "I'll only be a moment what could go wrong" resulting in the rear wheel rolling over her.

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
i'm sorry, but if i want to throw myself through the windshield, that's my business. and i should pay insurance and medical costs to reflect that.
But you don’t. The rates on your personal injury policy on your auto insurance plan on you wearing your seat belt, and your insurance company will fight tooth-and-nail not to pay those medical bills, especially if you aren’t wearing your seat belt.

Furthermore, while you might identify as a projectile, you instantly become everyone else’s concern as your flaccid body either hurtles at vehicle speed toward the helpless people that don’t identify as flesh missiles, or becomes the blade in the blender you’ve trapped your family inside.

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
My 88 year old mother (when she was a spry 68) left the door open to step out and get the mail. She unfortunately left the car in Drive also. Yeah, when her weight was removed it started rolling, so she, as people do, tried to jump back in to stop it. She now has pins in one arm and one leg from that moment of "I'll only be a moment what could go wrong" resulting in the rear wheel rolling over her.
My neighbor died from a similar accident. She opened her door slightly at a bank to reach the tube system. Her foot came off the break while the car was in drive. The car rolled forward and her head was crushed by the car door frame closing on it as the door pushed up against a pillar. I think of her every time I lean out my window --- car is in always in park as a result.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

these nanny systems are getting to the point where if you are not in a 5 point harness with a helmet, have perfect blood pressure, and have gotten enough sleep last night the thing won't even start.
Well Mr. Big Dog Rod, lack of sleep over time makes you cognitively the equivalent of drunk.

https://www.cdc.gov/sleep/about_sleep/drowsy_driving.html
"Being awake for at least 18 hours is the same as someone having a blood content (BAC) of 0.05%."

Science!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
But you don’t. The rates on your personal injury policy on your auto insurance plan on you wearing your seat belt, and your insurance company will fight tooth-and-nail not to pay those medical bills, especially if you aren’t wearing your seat belt
Although I agree someone else’s behavior affects everyone else’s rates, I do not believe it is accurate to say an insurance company would deny a claim for not wearing a seat belt. A quick google search shows that some states even have laws that explicitly prevent an insurer from denying or reducing claim payment for failure to wear a seatbelt.

Sponsored

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
Hey I spent a decade as an EMT and you not wearing a seatbelt isn't just your business.

1) You become a meat missle and can hit/injure others in your own car or even in the other car or pedestrians

2) You become a meat pancake requiring underpaid EMTs and firefighters having to scrape you off the pavement. Seeing a half mile long trail of gore wasn't my favorite experience as an EMT, and many seek therapy for the things they see/deal with at work.

Modern safety tech is amazing and you wouldn't believe the accidents I've rolled up on thinking "nobody could survive this" only to have everyone walk out unscathed because they were all wearing seatbelts.

So hey, maybe wear a seatbelt.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Can't resist chiming in on this tangent. I'm an avid seatbelt wearer I do it to avoid becoming a projectile not to avoid the annoying chime. I also am a big fan of personal liberty and their needs to be boundaries to legislating our safety. We ALL participate in activities that are hazardous to ourselves and affect others because we choose to do so. We have an epidemic of obesity and heart disease in the U.S. that drastically increases healthcare costs and insurance rates yet our government has done nothing to restrict or ban dairy products, marijuana was just legalized for recreational purposes in my state of NY for peat sake! Am I safer now? If it is safer to operate a vehicle with driver +, super cruise, auto pilot etc.. why are they not mandated to be used whenever possible, why can we buy cars without these life saving features? I can list things detrimental to our health and affect others negatively that are unrestricted for days nobody wants them all regulated. Why do any of us feel that we should get to pick and choose for everyone the ones that were personally ok with? Lets not forget most on this forum are buying a super high performance adventure vehicle. Want to become a vegan, great, want to eat cheeseburgers, fine, hunt alligators, watch Netflix and get wasted 24/7, climb Everest, all your business.
My point, fine legislate the annoying chime but allow it to be user deactivated; Nobody should be ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt.

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure, Mercedes 350GL, HD CVO Breakout
Occupation
Dentist
Yes, Driver+ does seem to be trying to mimmic SuperCruise in functionality. Considering that SuperCruise is largely considered THE best L2 tech on the market, right now, that may not be a bad thing. Time will tell.

An orange, too. Just squeeze it between the steering wheel and spoke. Maybe that's why Tesla wants to move to a yoke? Lol.
All this, and freshly squeezed orange juice for my travel mug? What’s not to like?

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Can't resist chiming in on this tangent. I'm an avid seatbelt wearer I do it to avoid becoming a projectile not to avoid the annoying chime. I also am a big fan of personal liberty and their needs to be boundaries to legislating our safety. We ALL participate in activities that are hazardous to ourselves and affect others because we choose to do so. We have an epidemic of obesity and heart disease in the U.S. that drastically increases healthcare costs and insurance rates yet our government has done nothing to restrict or ban dairy products, marijuana was just legalized for recreational purposes in my state of NY for peat sake! Am I safer now? If it is safer to operate a vehicle with driver +, super cruise, auto pilot etc.. why are they not mandated to be used whenever possible, why can we buy cars without these life saving features? I can list things detrimental to our health and affect others negatively that are unrestricted for days nobody wants them all regulated. Why do any of us feel that we should get to pick and choose for everyone the ones that were personally ok with? Lets not forget most on this forum are buying a super high performance adventure vehicle. Want to become a vegan, great, want to eat cheeseburgers, fine, hunt alligators, watch Netflix and get wasted 24/7, climb Everest, all your business.
My point, fine legislate the annoying chime but allow it to be user deactivated; Nobody should be ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt.
When your definition of "personal liberty" includes freedom from wearing a seat belt then it's time to call it a night.