Driver +.. Deal Breaker ?

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
The thing I love the most about Tesla Autopilot is being able to look around and enjoy the scenery vs. feeling like I have to be looking straight ahead all the time. If the nanny is going to nag me every time I look out the side window, it sort of defeats the purpose.

The thing that irritates me the most about Autopilot is that it displays a message on the dash with no audible indicator when it wants you to put some resistance on the steering wheel. If my eyes are on the road (where they are supposed to be!) they don’t see these subtle messages on the dash display! The “3 strikes you’re out” on not noticing these messages makes me say many swear words!
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

The thing I love the most about Tesla Autopilot is being able to look around and enjoy the scenery vs. feeling like I have to be looking straight ahead all the time. If the nanny is going to nag me every time I look out the side window, it sort of defeats the purpose.

The thing that irritates me the most about Autopilot is that it displays a message on the dash with no audible indicator when it wants you to put some resistance on the steering wheel. If my eyes are on the road (where they are supposed to be!) they don’t see these subtle messages on the dash display! The “3 strikes you’re out” on not noticing these messages makes me say many swear words!
Be careful about that language. Alexa is quite the gossip queen.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Be careful about that language. Alexa is quite the gossip queen.
Between cussing Autopilot on my Tesla and cussing my 4Runner’s complete lack of power and acceleration, both of my cars likely think I need serious anger management therapy!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Driver+ will force you to keep your eyes on the road, if you don't, it will nag you to put both hands on the wheel. Personally that does not bother me as I will not use Driver+. Until hands free driving is really hands free and attention free, what's the use ? If I need to keep my eyes and attention on the road, might as well be driving and in full control...
My daily driver has L2 automation and it is a huge help on trips and during regular commutes. It’s amazing how much less tired you arrive at a destination when you can use a good LKAS and ACC system. I still pay full attention to the road, but the system still reduces the effort you expend.

Lucanjo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis G80, Honda Ridgeline, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Anyone know how the system (or others like it) deal with sunglasses?

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Anyone know how the system (or others like it) deal with sunglasses?
They use an infrared camera that can see your eyes through the sunglass lenses.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
They use an infrared camera that can see your eyes through the sunglass lenses.
Infrared (thermal) cameras cannot see through glass or even foliage.

@Lucanjo , I was curious about sunglasses as well, so they must use something more sophisticated (i.e. other body language).

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Before anyone doubts my previous statement about infrared or CA attempts to argue, I just did a little mock up.

Glass on the left has hot water, glass on the right has just a little cold water & ice. Sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses around both.

Plus, thermal sensors/cameras are still way too expensive to be feasible for an application like driver monitoring.

Rivian R1T R1S Driver +.. Deal Breaker ? 20210322_195803~2

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
Before anyone doubts my previous statement about infrared or CA attempts to argue, I just did a little mock up.

Glass on the left has hot water, glass on the right has just a little cold water & ice. Sunglasses with polycarbonate lenses around both.

Plus, thermal sensors/cameras are still way too expensive to be feasible for an application like driver monitoring.

20210322_195803~2.jpg
I won't argue if you specify MWIR, instead of just infrared, since you're talking about thermal.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I won't argue if you specify MWIR, instead of just infrared, since you're talking about thermal.
IR for night vision (not thermal) won't see through sunglasses either & will reflect back.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There are tons of articles (not just about GM, but also other brands, such as BMW) that state the IR cameras used for these applications can see through sunglasses.

You think they’re all lying? Really?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are tons of articles (not just about GM, but also other brands, such as BMW) that state the IR cameras used for these applications can see through sunglasses.

You think they’re all lying? Really?
IR is used because standard cameras can have issues with bright or dark lighting conditions (think driving at night). IR can detect whether a driver is using sunglasses, but doesn't see through them.

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
IR for night vision (not thermal) won't see through sunglasses either & will reflect back.
You made a statement that IR won't pass through glass (not sunglasses, just glass). SWIR can. MWIR and LWIR won't pass through any glasses, let alone sunglasses, and LWIR probably wouldn't have meaningful contrast anyway.

But a SWIR camera is capable of picking up eyes through glasses.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
IR is used because standard cameras can have issues with bright or dark lighting conditions (think driving at night). IR can detect whether a driver is using sunglasses, but doesn't see through them.
So you think these systems detect sunglasses and disable tracking you while leaving the assist tech active? Despite them saying they don’t?

Seems like it’d be easy to verify on a test drive.
Sponsored