Driver +.. Deal Breaker ?

Greatgazou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Mazda2, F250 Diesel, Corvette C8
Occupation
Almost retired !
I contacted Rivian after reading that the Driver+ System will continuously monitor your attention via onboard cameras and that both hands are on the steering wheel... I have nothing against passive safety such as emergency breaking or automatic cruise control deceleration but to have a vehicle that keeps nagging me about my driving habits will be a big deal breaker. It seems the system cannot be disabled, at least now.. see Rivian's response. By "both systems", I believe Rivian is talking about Passive Safety and Driver+. Anybody else annoyed with this ?

"At this time, both systems are designed to keep your attention, judgment, and need to control the vehicle. The systems will be activated to ensure you have the safest drive possible while behind a Rivian. We know the driver monitoring system is engaged whenever autonomous or assisted driver safety systems are active and we will be sharing more specific details to answer your question as we get closer to production. Be sure to check your email and social media for any updates. We appreciate your dedication to being behind the wheel!"
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It was my understanding that the interior camera was only monitoring "alertness" when Driver+ was engaged.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It was my understanding that the interior camera was only monitoring "alertness" when Driver+ was engaged.
I agree, even this statement from the response says it is only engaged when active. Most systems allow for multiple settings for sensitivity and reaction as well as the ability deactivate it. I believe this will be true for Rivian as well.

We know the driver monitoring system is engaged whenever autonomous or assisted driver safety systems are active

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Not bothered as long as it works as intended and is well designed.

I've seen poor implementations of safety systems that are annoying - beeping every time a vehicle comes into your blind spot and not just when you activate a turn signal is one example. Drove an Outback with this feature and IIRC it was an "all or nothing" setting for pretty much all of the driver aids/warnings.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
You know I woke up this morning to this story/image of a Model X with the two passengers critically injured under a semi truck, and although I don’t think it’s been determined if A-Pilot was engaged or not, it leaves me uneasy to accept this level of autonomy right now beyond Driver +. Call me a “hands on guy”...

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/u-...-crash-in-detroit-after-it-t-boned-semi-truck

Sponsored

OP
OP

Greatgazou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Mazda2, F250 Diesel, Corvette C8
Occupation
Almost retired !
You know I woke up this morning to this story/image of a Model X with the two passengers critically injured under a semi truck, and although I don’t think it’s been determined if A-Pilot was engaged or not, it leaves me uneasy to accept this level of autonomy right now beyond Driver +. Call me a “hands on guy”...

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/u-...-crash-in-detroit-after-it-t-boned-semi-truck
I'm a hands on guy as well.. don't take the fun away from driving! My concern is that Driver+ seems to force you in having both hands on the wheel... I enjoy driving with one hand most of the time..

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm a hands on guy as well.. don't take the fun away from driving! My concern is that Driver+ seems to force you in having both hands on the wheel... I enjoy driving with one hand most of the time..
From what I read, Driver+ seems more like Cadillac Super Cruse, it has a camera monitoring your eyes for awareness and is geo fenced for specific locations. If you are on one of the roads it allows, you can sit back and relax but need to keep alert and your eyes on the road but not hold the steering wheel.

Tesla uses a different method, they gauge resistance and balance of the steering wheel. They do not actually detect hands on the wheel just that there is a resistance. You can actually override that with a roll of quarters hanging on the wheel (or so I am told... ;))

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
From what I read, Driver+ seems more like Cadillac Super Cruse, it has a camera monitoring your eyes for awareness and is geo fenced for specific locations. If you are on one of the roads it allows, you can sit back and relax but need to keep alert and your eyes on the road but not hold the steering wheel.
Yes, Driver+ does seem to be trying to mimmic SuperCruise in functionality. Considering that SuperCruise is largely considered THE best L2 tech on the market, right now, that may not be a bad thing. Time will tell.

Tesla uses a different method, they gauge resistance and balance of the steering wheel. They do not actually detect hands on the wheel just that there is a resistance. You can actually override that with a roll of quarters hanging on the wheel (or so I am told... ;))
An orange, too. Just squeeze it between the steering wheel and spoke. Maybe that's why Tesla wants to move to a yoke? Lol.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

3:20 AM running a red light on city streets and T-boning a semi? All on the driver even particularly if he was silly enough to have AP engaged.

Sponsored

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Second the 2 hand concern.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Second the 2 hand concern.
Where did you two get the 2 hand info from? I'm not trying to be contrary... I'm genuinely curious since the website still states it is a hands free system on the support pages.

Is this a rumor that is getting perpetuated based on one person's incorrect post somewhere else? Or do you really have insider info to suggest Rivian is secretly changing their Driver+ system behind the scenes while simultaneously presenting it as a hands free system on their website.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Where did you two get the 2 hand info from? I'm not trying to be contrary... I'm genuinely curious since the website still states it is a hands free system on the support pages.

Is this a rumor that is getting perpetuated based on one person's incorrect post somewhere else? Or do you really have insider info to suggest Rivian is secretly changing their Driver+ system behind the scenes while simultaneously presenting it as a hands free system on their website.
Base on the OP, post #1, and his convo with CS.

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Right... It's all based on the OP. He posted a quote from CS, but nowhere does it mention 2 hands on the wheel. The OP just added that part because they read it somewhere. I am curious where they read it because I am rather curious whether anyone has any statement from Rivian supporting this conclusion.

It seems, as of now, that Rivian is providing verifiable info on its website to confirm hands free driving.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think something got miscommunicated. This is what is on the Website and is line with everything I have heard about Driver+

Rivian Driver+ is standard on every vehicle we build. Delivering true hands-free driving assistance along with our full set of safety features, the system continually adds functionality through over-the-air updates. By making Driver+ standard, our goal is to make driving safer, easier and less stressful for everyone.
Sponsored