Sponsored

Does R1S have rear roof flow control air channel like R1T?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

The rear roof spoiler on the R1T has two air channels to control the flow above and below the spoiler as the air flow pass by the end of the cab. The purpose if the channel is to reduce airflow separation effect aft of the rear cab as it transitions to the bed. The channel forces air to flow downward to the top of the bed; hence, reducing adverse pressure gradient that cause Eddys and reverse flow. It also energizes the airflow and help keep it from separating than without it. While it doesn't solve the problem, it helps to reduce drag.

Now the same principle works on R1S but the real issue is, and anyone who owns SUV or van knows, that the separated flow behind the rear of the vehicle causes rear window to a mess in the adverse weather. Since airflow doesn't help to clear the liquid (rain, snow) or dirt, it sits mostly onto the glass.

In some images, it shows there are two LED brake lights but with something that appear like channels but the image is not clear enough. In other images, there is absolutely nothing of the sort. Drag reduction is not as beneficial as the end of R1S is not elongated like R1T with the truck bed. You would need a tail cone like device to help that and would not be practical.

So just wondering if anyone actually have seen production (candidate) R1S and have noticed this feature.

Cheers!
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
The rear glass is inset a bit but there are no channels.

Rivian Does R1S have rear roof flow control air channel like R1T? {filename}

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Rivian R1T R1S Does R1S have rear roof flow control air channel like R1T? 1638987698628

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

I dunno, it kind of looks like the same air channels. Can see it a /little/ bit on the 2nd picture there.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Here is a better picture from the Rivian website.
Rivian R1T R1S Does R1S have rear roof flow control air channel like R1T? 1638988569113

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I'd say, Rivian will implement if the rear channels will improve aerodynamics and not simply add it for cosmetic purposes.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I dunno, it kind of looks like the same air channels. Can see it a /little/ bit on the 2nd picture there.
Nope, perhaps more obvious when wrapped:
Rivian R1T R1S Does R1S have rear roof flow control air channel like R1T? r1s_hatch_wrapped

cryogen97

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Cx9, Ford Edge
Clubs

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

on the R1T is is necessary to get air to flow far enough to not drop into the bed. The R1S won't have that problem so it won't be there.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
R1S doesn't need it. As stated by others above. Having had several SUVs over the years with air flow channel type spoilers no the back, I really love the way the R1S roof meets the rear hatch. It's a really nice design.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

R1S doesn't need it. As stated by others above. Having had several SUVs over the years with air flow channel type spoilers no the back, I really love the way the R1S roof meets the rear hatch. It's a really nice design.
Yes, glad you pointed this out.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
I believe the OP's point is that most SUV's going back decades have had a foil or spoiler to help direct air to help keep the rear glass clear in weather. Otherwise we might be using the rear wiper and washers more than normal.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
A bit off topic but does anyone know what the interior height of R1S is? I was told the width can accommodate a plywood but the height looks a bit low on this photo if you want to get something boxy in or car camp without banging your head. It does not look like 5 seater would be any better. Any idea where I can find this info?

Rivian R1T R1S Does R1S have rear roof flow control air channel like R1T? 1639452214913

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
A bit off topic but does anyone know what the interior height of R1S is? I was told the width can accommodate a plywood but the height looks a bit low on this photo if you want to get something boxy in or car camp without banging your head. It does not look like 5 seater would be any better. Any idea where I can find this info?

Rivian Does R1S have rear roof flow control air channel like R1T? {filename}
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/r1s-cargo-capacity.927/

Interior cargo volume behind 3rd row (this information I have already seen published): 499 L = 17.6 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 2nd row (3rd row folded, this information was new to me): 1,323 L = 46.7 ft^3
Interior cargo volume behind 1st row (2nd and 3rd row folded): 2,499 L = 88.25 ft^3

Cargo floor length behind 3rd row: 21"
Cargo floor length behind 2nd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 2nd and 2rd row: 51"
Maximum cargo width behind 1st row: 58"
Minimum cargo width: 42"
I think someone got height data as well, but apparently not the post I found immediately. There is supposedly a 3" difference in height behind the 2nd row for the 5-seater compared to the 7-seater.

EDIT: Found it!

• The cargo height with 7-passenger seating is 855 mm. (33.6 inches)
• The cargo height with 5-passenger seating is 925 mm. (36.4 inches)

Depending on how that's measured, that feels normal for SUVs? I haven't researched comparable vehicles though. I would think Yukon and Telluride would be 2 of the most popular models to look at. Anybody got those cargo heights?
Sponsored

Last edited: