First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Wonder if Rivian could install solar panels on the roof? I saw a thin foldable panel in Australia that they were testing out to power an EV.

This is what I was referring to.

https://www.reuters.com/business/au...km-trip-with-printed-solar-panels-2022-04-20/
But that's not on the roof of a Rivian.... That's the size of multiple tractor trailers.

"18 of the team's printed plastic solar panels, each 18 metres (59 feet) long, rolling them out beside the vehicle to soak up sunlight"
Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
But that's not on the roof of a Rivian.... That's the size of multiple tractor trailers.

"18 of the team's printed plastic solar panels, each 18 metres (59 feet) long, rolling them out beside the vehicle to soak up sunlight"
I was not suggesting a one-for-one fitting this instant. The AUS effort shows the possibility of something in the future. If this can power a Tesla thousands of miles, the tech has the future potential to supplement power with a roof or body clad design. It's food for thought.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Interesting because I asked them on instagram about weight and they responded "50-75lbs per side"
This is my ignorance, but what kind of range hit would adding 100 lbs put on an R1T?

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
That's the question. As long as it doesn't greatly effect aerodynamics I would think not much. Basically adding a small passenger.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
This is my ignorance, but what kind of range hit would adding 100 lbs put on an R1T?
The weight itself wouldn't have much of an effect at all. No different than having an extra passenger in the truck. The potential aerodynamic change could be noticeable though. Wouldn't be surprised if it's at least a 5% hit because of the aero.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Interesting because I asked them on instagram about weight and they responded "50-75lbs per side"
If that’s the case, I’m going to pass. Will wait for a lighter design to emerge.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
That's pretty standard if you want rock sliders. If you just want steps im sure lighter ones will come out.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I was not suggesting a one-for-one fitting this instant. The AUS effort shows the possibility of something in the future. If this can power a Tesla thousands of miles, the tech has the future potential to supplement power with a roof or body clad design. It's food for thought.
It’s not possible to power a vehicle the size/weight of a Rivian for any distance with on board solar power unless you are willing to let it sit for days to drive 25 miles. There’s not enough solar surface area, even if cells were 100% efficient.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
If that’s the case, I’m going to pass. Will wait for a lighter design to emerge.
Agreed, I'd like running boards, but those are way too heavy for only using for that purpose.

Sponsored

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
50-70 lbs is actually incredibly (and somewhat concerningly) light for sliders, unless they are made of moly or something. I'd suggest doing your homework and comparing these against rails for a vehicle in a similar weight class (e.g. a RAM 2500 or whatnot). I'd then raise an eyebrow if these turn out to be significantly lighter with no obvious structural or material difference.

White Knuckle Off-road makes a highly regarded and durable set for vehicles in this weight class. Not trying to throw shade. That is just a surprising weight for something that will need to support a dropping 7100 lb vehicle.

Last edited:

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
50-70 lbs is actually incredibly (and somewhat concerningly) light for sliders, unless they are made of moly or something. I'd suggest doing your homework and comparing these against rails for a vehicle in a similar weight class (e.g. a RAM 2500 or whatnot). I'd then raise an eyebrow if these turn out to be significantly lighter with no obvious structural or material difference.

White Knuckle Off-road makes a highly regarded and durable set for vehicles in this weight class. Not trying to throw shade. That is just a surprising weight for something that will need to support a dropping 7100 lb vehicle.
Maybe I’m more interested in a streamlined set of running boards, then.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
If you need sliders, you'll know you need sliders. If you don't know you need sliders, you probably just want running boards/steps :)

For sliders, the weight matters, but the structural integrity is far more important. For a super heavy vehicle like an R1T I would expect them to need to be pretty beefy to hold up to the force of that falling down on the sliders. If they can't take the full force of the truck dropping onto them pinched between the truck and a rock, then they aren't going to do the job of protecting the vehicle.

EDIT2: This is why I mentioned in another thread about mats for the bed the weight being so important. You need to save your payload for important things like sliders that have to be heavy, and save weight where you can on things that don't really matter as much, like liners for your bed. At least when it comes to offroading/overlanding. For mall crawling do whatever you want :)

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I agree. I’ve rarely heard of rock sliders this light unless made of aluminum or other. Decent rock sliders are, more often than not, made out of steel and are extremely heavy.
It’d be interesting to know what material is used here.

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Solar panels on the roof of an EV are a gimmick. At very best, they can provide enough power to charge a phone and offset the parasitic drain on the battery. At best.
With the hefty daily vampiric drain of an R1T, that would be a welcome solution!
Sponsored