Do I Spy Running Boards???

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I agree. I’ve rarely heard of rock sliders this light unless made of aluminum or other. Decent rock sliders are, more often than not, made out of steel and are extremely heavy.
It’d be interesting to know what material is used here.
My Tacoma RCI sliders made of steel were about 50-60lbs per side.

Weight will also depend on HREW or DOM tubing, top-plates, etc.
Sponsored

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
My Tacoma RCI sliders made of steel were about 50-60lbs per side.

Weight will also depend on HREW or DOM tubing, top-plates, etc.
With all due respect, this is significantly heavier than a Tacoma. Using that as an example though:

- The Tacoma weighs about 4,000 lbs (depending on trim, etc).
- An R1T weighs about 7100 lbs.
- Roughly speaking, if a truck weighing ~56% as much as a Rivian has ~55lb sliders each side, then I would expect each side of sliders that can support a Rivian to weigh a little under 100 lbs, not 50-75 lbs.

This also does't take into account issues like torsional rigidity. You can twist a Tacoma in ways that you can't afford to with a skateboard-style EV.

Lastly, I'd take a look at what's out there for other serious rock slider offerings. You won't see aluminum as it's pretty malleable.

Hopefully this is helpful. Just trying to look out for folks.

Last edited:

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
With all due respect, this is significantly heavier than a Tacoma. Using that as an example though:

- The Tacoma weighs about 4,000 lbs (depending on trim, etc).
- An R1T weighs about 7100 lbs.
- Roughly speaking, if a truck weighing ~56% as much as a Rivian has ~55lb sliders each side, then I would expect each side of sliders that can support a Rivian to weigh a little under 100 lbs, not 50-75 lbs.

This also does't take into account issues like torsional rigidity. You can twist a Tacoma in ways that you can't afford to with a skateboard-style EV.

Lastly, I'd take a look at what's out there for other serious rock slider offerings. You won't see aluminum as it's pretty malleable.

Hopefully this is helpful. Just trying to look out for folks.
Ha yeah I wouldn't dare try to compare the weight of these two trucks. Just providing a baseline on the Tacoma sliders.

I agree with you though, I would expect closer to 100lbs per side. I would be iffy on trusting them as sliders otherwise. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Eh... Not much more than the Rivian Underbody Reinforcement - and arguably more necessary...

Although I do have questions about their usefulness as *rock sliders* with that thin-looking connection point. And because they're so flush, not much drop to them, does that mean if they *DO* get bent, you can't open the doors on that side?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Eh... Not much more than the Rivian Underbody Reinforcement - and arguably more necessary...

Although I do have questions about their usefulness as *rock sliders* with that thin-looking connection point. And because they're so flush, not much drop to them, does that mean if they *DO* get bent, you can't open the doors on that side?
Yeah I am on the fence. The fact they claim it has built in jacking points that gives some confidence on their strength but definitely hard to judge from a few pictures.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yeah I am on the fence. The fact they claim it has built in jacking points that gives some confidence on their strength but definitely hard to judge from a few pictures.
Except the jack points are likely directly under the main frame rail - not the "steps" that stick out. I'm worried that hitting a particularly gnarly rock will bend the rock sliders up and make the doors unable to open. The R1s are particularly heavy vehicles.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Maybe, at those prices, they’re including an insured guarantee that these won’t damage the vehicle in the event you land on a gnarly rock?
Sponsored