Not open for further replies.

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
While I generally agree with you, people don’t keep a trailer hitched while driving most of the time and the trailer use case dramatically decreases range, particularly at speed. I had 1/3 the range driving 75 on I5 towing a 4x8 trailer in my Model Y (900 Wh/mi), 1/2 the range driving 65, and 3/5 range at 55.

My point is that for more common use cases, additional range can make things more convenient and not having it can be annoying. All this said, could just be that the test vehicles show lower range as more people are routinely flooring it skewing the range algorithm for the car.
The first mile event used a lot of heavy throttle. Hee haw!

as regards to big battery or not. A Tesla plaid recently set a coast to coast Time record. The drivers used an interesting strategy to minimize time. They drove Fast, stopped frequently. They Depleted battery to 10 percent and charged to only 50 percent. They figured out that this method maximized time on the road and minimized total charging time. This worked Because the battery charges at a higher rate when depleted and the charging slows as it becomes more full.

On a long range model 3 tesla, they estimate 1 stop from Woodhills to Vegas at a total of 5 hours for a 290 mile trip. With the standard range it’s 2 stops for a total of 5 hours 10 minutes. Long range is 358 and Standard is 268. The recommended stops are not “fill ups”.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bleo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
I doubt I have anything unique to add to this conversation but I can at least explain my motivations for a max pack purchase.

Time is my most valuable asset. I DESPISE getting gas, I drive enough that I'm forced to do it on average 5x a month and its about 23 gallons each time. Being able to do all of my charging at home and getting the time spent at the gas pump back is extremely valuable to me.

I do frequent "mini" road trips to go ride my mountain bike, usually 90-120 miles each direction and I drive with a lead foot. Hypermiling and driving like a Prius owner is my idea of hell. Hanging 2-4 mountain bikes off the back of anything and traveling at 80+mph for extended periods of time DRASTICALLY reduces your efficiency. Having done these trips with my buddy and his performance model 3 it cannot be done without stopping for a charge unless you drive like grandma, leave with an absolutely full battery and return with almost nothing left. Both of these are terrible for battery longevity. I find it extremely unlikely the rivian will outperform the tesla in this scenario with the base battery option.

The Max pack is really the minimum viable option where I can achieve my goals while putting the battery under as little strain as possible. I don't want to touch a public charger outside of a real 400+ mile multi-day road trip.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
I doubt I have anything unique to add to this conversation but I can at least explain my motivations for a max pack purchase.

Time is my most valuable asset. I DESPISE getting gas, I drive enough that I'm forced to do it on average 5x a month and its about 23 gallons each time. Being able to do all of my charging at home and getting the time spent at the gas pump back is extremely valuable to me.

I do frequent "mini" road trips to go ride my mountain bike, usually 90-120 miles each direction and I drive with a lead foot. Hypermiling and driving like a Prius owner is my idea of hell. Hanging 2-4 mountain bikes off the back of anything and traveling at 80+mph for extended periods of time DRASTICALLY reduces your efficiency. Having done these trips with my buddy and his performance model 3 it cannot be done without stopping for a charge unless you drive like grandma, leave with an absolutely full battery and return with almost nothing left. Both of these are terrible for battery longevity. I find it extremely unlikely the rivian will outperform the tesla in this scenario with the base battery option.

The Max pack is really the minimum viable option where I can achieve my goals while putting the battery under as little strain as possible. I don't want to touch a public charger outside of a real 400+ mile multi-day road trip.
Find the same thing. Hate filling up, 20-30k miles/yr on 4Runner for ski trips. Love driving right past the gas stations in my Model Y on my way to charging at work. Wish that the Y had longer range for the exact reasons that you mention. If it had 400mi range, would put a box on top, not worry about my lead foot, etc.

Sponsored

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Has anyone heard from someone at Rivian when the max pack batteries are starting to get made? I know the configurator says after Jan 2022, but was wondering if there are any rumors of something more specific.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Waiting to hear more info about the R1S max pack. If it we’re available at launch, I would seriously consider it. But if it means waiting another 6, 12, or 18 months, I’m not so sure. I guess I can always buy the LE with the large pack and trade it in later for the max pack.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Went back to Sonoma first mile event to get a better look (no test drive this time).
Sat in yellow with ocean interior (among others) and paid attention to values displayed.
All purpose mode (weird name by the way).
71% battery charge
162 miles range left
20” AT tires
A fully charged battery would give a max range of 228 miles.
Using the commonly used charging scheme (recharge at 20% up to 80%) we’re looking at a usable range of 137 miles and stretching it (10-90) it’d be 182 miles. And yes we don’t always drive like at the test drive event (where most of it is slow besides the 0-60 section) but still it seems that it’s not a lot of range for an “adventure” vehicle. Better hope that camp sites have chargers or you’re on a one day trip.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Went back to Sonoma first mile event to get a better look (no test drive this time).
Sat in yellow with ocean interior (among others) and paid attention to values displayed.
71% battery charge
162 miles range left
20” AT tires
A fully charged battery would gave a max range of 228 miles.
Using the commonly used charging scheme (recharge at 20% up to 80%) we’re looking at a usable range of 137 miles and stretching it (10-90) it’d be 182 miles. And yes we don’t always drive like at the test drive event (where most of it is slow besides the 0-60 section) but still it seems that it’s not a lot of range for an “adventure” vehicle. Better hope that camp sites have chargers or you’re on a one day trip.
Exactly. Get the max pack and be happy.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
...and paid attention to values displayed.

71% battery charge
162 miles range left
20” AT tires
A fully charged battery would gave a max range of 228 miles.
Don't go by what you see there to determine your range.

That truck has been driven like a stolen rental truck all day long. It's Watts per Mile are going to be waaaaay off of your (most likely) day to day use.

....I mean unless you are doing donuts, ripping up hills, and seeing how quick you can accelerate every time you touch the accelerator peddle.

EPA on "Large Pack" with 21" road rims and tires is 314. Knock off 10% for AT tires puts you around 283 with "normal driving".

So... unless you drive like an ass, only drive uphill, or are dragging anchors or a trailer behind you, you should not be seeing 228...

nfrank

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I talked to the “battery expert” (and I don’t use quotations because I’m being an ass) who was fairly knowledgeable. He says the max pack version will have the same payload as large pack R1T with no mechanical differences in frame or suspension. Also said both packs are 400V and didn’t know for sure, but felt max pack production isn’t far off

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Don't go by what you see there to determine your range.

That truck has been driven like a stolen rental truck all day long. It's Watts per Mile are going to be waaaaay off of your (most likely) day to day use.

....I mean unless you are doing donuts, ripping up hills, and seeing how quick you can accelerate every time you touch the accelerator peddle.

EPA on "Large Pack" with 21" road rims and tires is 314. Knock off 10% for AT tires puts you around 283 with "normal driving".

So... unless you drive like an ass, only drive uphill, or are dragging anchors or a trailer behind you, you should not be seeing 228...
Using 20-80%, we’d still be looking at 170 miles.
10-90% would be 226.
On road is one thing but off-road (real off-road stuff not like dirt trails) would impact range even more. Better not get lost in the Mojave desert ;) and yes I’m being a little dramatic about it.
i was going to add that you might be optimistic but I’m down with that. Let’s see what the first lucky ones report.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.