andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

received my first nail in the sidewall this week. Our discount tire has the pucks and certified to do the change. But no tires in stock.

I was surprised when he offered me 8 different choices for the 22s to replace my OEM tires.

come to find out they have a lower load rating listed as compatible. So we were seeing all the XL 115H options and not the HL 116H that i currently have installed. Riv service said to stay with the later.

just a psa to be aware of what tire you’re being sold
Sponsored

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Just dealt with this myself and learned more than I wanted to know about tires. I got a nail in 1 but also was already down to only 4/32 on the stock Pirellis after only 15k miles.

The OEM Pirellis are the only tire currently sold with a 116 load rating, but I decided to replace all of mine with the General Grabber HTS 60s which have a 115 load rating (only 70 lbs less load per tire), which is what comes stock on the Lighting Platinum. I talked to a number of different reps at different tire sellers and had multiple people do the math based on the Rivian axle weights who told me I could safely run these tires. They are also a harder compound (so I’m hoping they will wear down slower than the Pirellis), but have a lower max speed of 115 MPH (which I have no intention of testing anyways) than the Pirellis. Not to mention the Grabbers are $230 per tire as compared to the $500 Pirellis which have lasted only 12 months. The Grabbers also appear to have been specifically designed for the weight of the Lightning and efficiency.

Both the Pirellis and Grabbers were on nationwide back order at many places, but Tire Rack.com had the Grabbers and I just had them shipped to Discount Tire and installed yesterday.

You are correct that the in store reps had first thrown out alternative options which only have a 111 load rating, which seemed like a bad idea.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
Just dealt with this myself and learned more than I wanted to know about tires. I got a nail in 1 but also was already down to only 4/32 on the stock Pirellis after only 15k miles.

The OEM Pirellis are the only tire currently sold with a 116 load rating, but I decided to replace all of mine with the General Grabber HTS 60s which have a 115 load rating (only 70 lbs less load per tire), which is what comes stock on the Lighting Platinum. I talked to a number of different reps at different tire sellers and had multiple people do the math based on the Rivian axle weights who told me I could safely run these tires. They are also a harder compound (so I’m hoping they will wear down slower than the Pirellis), but have a lower max speed of 115 MPH (which I have no intention of testing anyways) than the Pirellis. Not to mention the Grabbers are $230 per tire as compared to the $500 Pirellis which have lasted only 12 months. The Grabbers also appear to have been specifically designed for the weight of the Lightning and efficiency.

Both the Pirellis and Grabbers were on nationwide back order at many places, but Tire Rack.com had the Grabbers and I just had them shipped to Discount Tire and installed yesterday.

You are correct that the in store reps had first thrown out alternative options which only have a 111 load rating, which seemed like a bad idea.
These are also 22”s?

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Yes. 275/50/22, same as the Pirellis.

Rivian R1T R1S Discount Tire Selection Beware 1691151258226

Rivian R1T R1S Discount Tire Selection Beware 1691151324117

Depending on what website your messing around with, these don't always pop up when you enter the vehicle type as a Rivian, but can be found when you search by tire size.

Besides just the Pirellis already wearing down, I'm a little OCD and decided to do replace all of mine. Was only $1,100 after install and tax.

OP
OP

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

Yes, it what gave me pause. The ratings were all over the place and since I’m only replacing a single tire I had to step back and take a look at all of it. The rep was no help. Haha

Sponsored

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
I always get good service from my Discount Tire, but most of the people working there are just over 18 and just throwing out what the computer tells them. I spent 3 days trying to source alternatives. A few older reps at other tire retailers did the math on the load ratings compared to Rivian's axle weight and all said they wouldn't think twice about putting the Grabbers on if it was theirs.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Funny... the experience has been the opposite for a lot of us using 115 and trying to get Discount Tire or other big box stores to install. They usually refuse because it doesn't align with OEM load index.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect

Curious what Discount charged for install with tires from TireRack? Any balancing/vibration issues post install?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

come to find out they have a lower load rating listed as compatible. So we were seeing all the XL 115H options and not the HL 116H that i currently have installed. Riv service said to stay with the later.
My truck has 115H rated tires on it directly from Rivian, and when they replaced the fronts under warranty last year, put the same thing on. This was after it was already known they had the 116H option on newer vehicles. I'd say it probably doesn't make much difference since they both are well over the axle rating on the truck.

OP
OP

andisimose

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas
Clubs

Curious what Discount charged for install with tires from TireRack? Any balancing/vibration issues post install?
Discount owns tire rack so they didn’t care I brought a tire. It was like $30 for install etc here

Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Many people on this forum would love to find a discount tires that is willing to install a 115 load index tire lol. Most follow the specs to the letter!

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The OEM Pirellis are the only tire currently sold with a 116 load rating,
I can't find a 116 for 22s, but I have found a 275/60/R20 116 from Hankook for people wanting a winter tire that isn't a heavy LT. It works out to the same tire diameter as the 21s and 22s so would avoid needing to do a software swap for speed/etc if people buy a 20" wheel.

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
OEM Pirellis are the only 116 option for the 22s:

Rivian R1T R1S Discount Tire Selection Beware 1691186961530

You can also see more info on the speed and load rating for the Grabbers below now:

Rivian R1T R1S Discount Tire Selection Beware 1691187015879

There are some more 115 Load Rating 22 options coming out in the near future from Michelin, but this is what's out there. The Grabbers also have a 50K Mile Warranty compared to zero for the Pirellis.

Rivian R1T R1S Discount Tire Selection Beware 1691186931680
Sponsored