Sponsored

Disabling the R1T bed escape button?

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
The escape button in the rear bed is a security issue for my use case. Has anybody disabled/disconnected this button and how did you do it? And, yes, I fully understand that a determined thief will find a way. It’s the opportunistic thief I would like to discourage. Thanks.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 VW Vanagon
Occupation
Entertainment
Clubs

Yes, this! I was considering taking it apart myself to see if I could disconnect the switch but I bet someone here has already done it and has some insight.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Disconnect opens the circuit, setting off your entrapment alarm. Disconnect and connecting the wires shorts the circuit. What you need is a resistor the same ohms as the button to reconnect the circuit.

The advice is free, the chloroform will cost you.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
The escape button in the rear bed is a security issue for my use case. Has anybody disabled/disconnected this button and how did you do it? And, yes, I fully understand that a determined thief will find a way. It’s the opportunistic thief I would like to discourage. Thanks.
We'll be watching out for kidnappings in your area...:)

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Oookay. I think I hear what you are saying, but not clear on how to pull it off. It seems there ought to be a way for Rivian to provide a way to disable this feature when it is clearly not useful (no tonneau cover) and does pose a security vulnerability.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Yeah, really surprised this is a thing that they overlooked. With no tonneau cover the button is still active meaning anything in the under-bed storage area (spare, etc) is NOT secure. I'm sure the issue is that they have no insight into a manual tonneau cover being used, so they just leave it enabled. But what other truck on the market does this!?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

But what other truck on the market does this!?
Don't have much experience at all with other modern truck beds, but the power cover on my Hummer EV had a manual release that was part of the cover. It disengaged the motor so it could be hand moved. Release lever was made of glow-in-the-dark plastic.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The button just pops out if I recall correctly. You could just pop it out and hide it behind the panel somewhere. Then possibly someone could 3d print a cover to fill the hole left behind

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

So that button in the bed releases the under bed storage or the tailgate locks the under bed storage when it's up?

If it's just a two wire button then an ohm meter across the disconnected terminals will let you know the resister needed to bridge the wires.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Without going into my specific security situation, the most obvious situation would be that the under bed storage is not secure. Whether you have a tire, tools or whatever in there, as long as the tailgate can be opened, the storage area can be also. How would it be if anybody could just walk up and open the frunk or gear tunnel with the push of a button? I don’t think most owners would like that.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So that button in the bed releases the under bed storage or the tailgate locks the under bed storage when it's up?
The tailgate being up covers the latch for the storage.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The tailgate being up covers the latch for the storage.
But you can open the tailgate with the entrapment button, that is what the OP is getting at.

Edit: I took the message out of context.
Sponsored

Last edited: