Jay

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger SRT 8
Has anyone wondered about the dimensions of R1S and R1T? I'm just trying to imagine how tall/long and wide both r1s and r1t would be compared to other vehicles in the market segment. For example, which vehicle can we compare R1s with? A ford expedetion or a gmc Yukon or a chevy suburban?

Similarly how would an r1t look beside an f150?

I could only see the wheel base dimensions on the rivian site

OP
J

Jay

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicles
Dodge Challenger SRT 8
In LA auto show event, they compared it with range rover model. But I'm trying to imagine the size in perspective to a true 7 seater SUV

PoorPilot

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model X / R1T & R1S Reservation Holder
I’ll let you do the conversions if need be.

AEF41E6A-9E90-4DD9-8005-9774700409D2.png
6FEF5830-D9DB-4ED8-ADC3-4949EF1C1E59.png
3018E8D5-9EBA-4157-B355-D6790BC6EC7D.png

Reactions: Jay

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
The R1S is about a half inch shorter than a late model Dodge Durango. It is now 200.7" which has grown from the original 198.4".

r1s_dims.png

r1s_specs2.png

Last edited:

PoorPilot

Reaction score
Vehicles
@PoorPilot Those Rivian dimension are out of date.
Why do you say that, other than the fact the R1S is compared to a 2019 Land Rover? I would assume the Rivian dimensions are still accurate, but maybe I’m wrong.

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Why do you say that, other than the fact the R1S is compared to a 2019 Land Rover? I would assume the Rivian dimensions are still accurate, but maybe I’m wrong.
In this case you are indeed wrong, or at least out of date, regarding the Rivian specs. Please refer to the current dimension listed on the Rivian web site, especially the overall lengths which have grown. I've posted screen shots above.

electruck

Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Volvo XC60
Must have had an intern measuring the first time around...
There was discussion around the R1S being extended to make room for a full size spare (comments made to someone at one of the events iirc). Not sure about the length of the R1T. A couple of inches could easily be related to bumper changes for one reason or another.

Last edited:

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Reaction score
First Name
Manuel
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Must have had an intern measuring the first time around...
Forgot why, but there was a reason they increased the length of the vehicle

PoorPilot

Reaction score
Vehicles
Forgot why, but there was a reason they increased the length of the vehicle
I just remembered taking some screenshots of a video I watched last year and thought I would submit it. I didn’t realize that the information requested was on the website already and also didn’t realize the dimensions had changed over the last year and a half. It might be due to the fact that the video was produced by a third party(and I’m assuming measurements as well) versus official numbers from Rivian, but who knows.

I also didn’t realize that vehicle dimensions would cause such an uproar.

twinprice

First Name
Winston
Reaction score
First Name
Winston
Vehicles
Yukon XL Denali, Preorder - Model Y, and RS1
Also, I currently have a Yukon XL and we use it for a few trips / year. One trip is often for 3 weeks so we take a good deal of stuff. I know one answer is that we can reduce the number of items we bring (and volume) but i am curious what others think about true usable space. We have 3 kids and a dog and we use a 18cuft car topper. I know that having a Rivian R1S will reduce our available cargo space considerably. I believe we would maybe use a 20 cuft hitch box to reduce the drag of a roof box and we would gain 2 cuft from our current box. From what I can understand, the RS1 has a total of 17.2cuft (including frunk) behind the 3rd row while the suburban/yukon xl has 39.3 cuft. So, I would be losing 22.1 cuft? I could make up 20 cuft of this with the rear box but would just need to take less since i wouldn’t have a roof rack. Does this sound right? Any other thoughts?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B R1S SUV Discussions 6