Dimensions of doors? - For wheelchair access

Amina

First Name
Amina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Good evening everyone, I have a question for Rivian R1S users, tell me who realties are the real sizes of the first and second row doors. My father is disabled, and I really need this information to know if a wheelchair can get into the car.
Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Good evening everyone, I have a question for Rivian R1S users, tell me who realties are the real sizes of the first and second row doors. My father is disabled, and I really need this information to know if a wheelchair can get into the car.
Like putting an entire wheelchair into the vehicle THROUGH the door? I'm not sure that's gonna happen

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not a wheel chair user so I have no idea what sort of dimensions you mean.

OP
OP

Amina

First Name
Amina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
i want to make an entrance to the car as shown in this video, and i want to know the size of the doors, if it can be done.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I can measure and take some photos, but it's going to be complicated by having a pretty high load floor because of the battery system in the vehicle being below the floor. I'd say it's probably somewhere around 18-20" off the ground without having the vehicle here to measure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Amina

First Name
Amina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I will be very grateful if you help me

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
i want to make an entrance to the car as shown in this video, and i want to know the size of the doors, if it can be done.
Don’t know if these help but maybe you can send them to the vendor.

Edit: In kneel mode the floor is 21 inches from the ground.

Rivian R1T R1S Dimensions of doors? - For wheelchair access IMG_9066
Rivian R1T R1S Dimensions of doors? - For wheelchair access IMG_9067

OP
OP

Amina

First Name
Amina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
can you please take a photo a little further from the car, with the doors open, to see the height and radius for how long the doors open

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
I can measure and take some photos, but it's going to be complicated by having a pretty high load floor because of the battery system in the vehicle being below the floor. I'd say it's probably somewhere around 18-20" off the ground without having the vehicle here to measure.
What he said. I'd also be happy to take measurements (or even try an iPhone LIDAR 3D scan).

This is a non-trivial engineering exercise though, starting with modifying the door hinges and involving a lot of structural work.

If I were trying to do this, I'd start with one of the companies that has done this before, and put one of their engineers together with an R1S, plus maybe point them at the Munro teardown videos.

Depending on your use case, it might be cheaper to try to talk Rivian into selling you an EDV (which I think would be almost trivial to convert) or one of the other EV vans available.

Warmoth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S GW 20
Met a guy who had a wheelchair lift for his truck. The door size was a non issue.

video link for what he had:

Picture for those that don't want to click on the link.

Rivian R1T R1S Dimensions of doors? - For wheelchair access 1684421838407

Sponsored

OP
OP

Amina

First Name
Amina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I'm from Europe, in two months it's my turn to get a car. So there were circumstances that I need a disabled person to be able to use a car. I have already written many letters to different companies, they refused a lot, someone wrote that it is necessary to conclude a contract with the manufacturer so as not to violate the rights. Someone says that electric cars are forbidden to remake for safety reasons. One company in Europe is ready to consider my requirements, but for this they need to know the live measurements of the car, since the model is new and there is very little information about it. And now we decide to leave the car and do what we need, or better to sell.

OP
OP

Amina

First Name
Amina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Met a guy who had a wheelchair lift for his truck. The door size was a non issue.

video link for what he had:

Picture for those that don't want to click on the link.

1684421838407.png
thanks, I will take a look

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Rivian seems like a terrible choice of vehicle for this project.

With the mods you have planned, something somewhere is going to break, and with 0 access to parts, no knowledge about how anything works, and no access to the computer, it will be impossible to fix. Dead 12v batteries have been nearly unrecoverable problems for people who exported their Rivians outside the USA. And you are going to face problems a lot tougher than a dead battery.

If the company you are hoping to hire can't even look up the dimensions of the door, how are they going to be able to hack the computer to suppress all of the error codes that are going to pop up when they remove the seats or find the wiring diagram to figure out how to put it back together after they have taken everything apart.

Because of the newness and low volume, there is just not anyone outside of Rivian qualified to work on it. For this sort of project you need to start with a mass-produced vehicle with a long history on the market.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Rivian seems like a terrible choice of vehicle for this project.

With the mods you have planned, something somewhere is going to break, and with 0 access to parts, no knowledge about how anything works, and no access to the computer, it will be impossible to fix. Dead 12v batteries have been nearly unrecoverable problems for people who exported their Rivians outside the USA. And you are going to face problems a lot tougher than a dead battery.

If the company you are hoping to hire can't even look up the dimensions of the door, how are they going to be able to hack the computer to suppress all of the error codes that are going to pop up when they remove the seats or find the wiring diagram to figure out how to put it back together after they have taken everything apart.

Because of the newness and low volume, there is just not anyone outside of Rivian qualified to work on it. For this sort of project you need to start with a mass-produced vehicle with a long history on the market.
For better or worse, I think this is exactly the right answer. I agree that if your needs are to have this kind of modification you need to go with something more traditional and established where you can actually get support and parts and just... knowledge around how to do this and make sure it works - ultimately for the person with the disability

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I third the other two guys. While I think this would be a cool thing for your father the only people I would bother asking would be Rivian themselves as most likely you would need their support. Who knows, they may be willing to help as this is a humanitarian type project.
Sponsored