Sponsored

Warranty issues post running board install?

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Has anyone had any issues with Rivian warranty post running board install?
Sponsored

Stevetom84

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I would think they would have to prove the running boards were a contributing factor. I could possibly see charging to remove and reinstall the running boards if necessary to perform a warranty repair.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
You will have no issues. Like stated above, if there was a failure of a part or system that was proven to be caused by the running boards, that portion of the warranty would be void, but they would have to honor the warranty on the rest of the truck. If you are asking about having service done with the running boards in place, several people have confirmed that the SC was able to put the trucks on the lifts for service as normal.

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Stevetom84 and camaroz1985 thank you for your replies. I agree with what you have said but was hoping to hear from someone that has had direct experience post running board install with Rivian service.

I have my EV1 running boards ready to install and I fully accept having to potentially remove them for service if needed but started wondering if they could possible void any part of the warranty for simply being on the truck. I do think there would need to be a clear indication that they caused harm.

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I considered but one thing I'm concerned about is if there were to ever be corrosion issues underneath years from now while still under warranty. They will certainly deny warranty then. I've already seen corrosion issues with the stock hardware during panel removal from install pictures by others.

Sponsored

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Adding running boards to your truck falls under "right to repair" which means we have the right to freely modify and repair a vehicle. Just adding running boards will not void your warranty.

Additionally, I did the 4" hole method install and there are technically (on the running boards anyway) only four exposed bolts that hold them onto the truck and they can easily be removed with an impact wrench in a matter of minutes. If you did the slit version, then there eight bolts to remove the running board before removing the aerodynamic under body cladding. Again these eight bolts can easily be removed in a matter of minutes.

As for corrosion, I'd postulate that there is more airflow inside the cut open panels than before, thus allowing them to dry faster than OEM.

I think it'd be a stretch for Rivian to charge for removing these running boards when they can come off so quick and easy.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
I had my R1t into Chicago service center a couple of months ago after I installed my running boards. I spoke with service manager and he did not see any immediate issues with the running boards affecting vehicle warranty. He did state and I agree if the main traction battery required any kind of repair or replacement the running boards would have to be removed for full access to the battery attachment hardware

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I had my R1t into Chicago service center a couple of months ago after I installed my running boards. I spoke with service manager and he did not see any immediate issues with the running boards affecting vehicle warranty. He did state and I agree if the main traction battery required any kind of repair or replacement the running boards would have to be removed for full access to the battery attachment hardware
Thank you for sharing your experience!

😊

sjg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ram 1500
I have the EV sportline running boards installed. Until recently I have had no service issues. I do have a service appointment on 8/28. They want to replace some underbody support. They are requiring me to completely remove the running boards prior to service. I used the 4” hole method. I asked if I could leave the brackets on and take the steps off. They said I must remove everything.

That being said. I love having the running boards.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I also love having the running boards on Opal (our R1T). They are a significant upgrade to the usability of our truck. Rivians should have come from the Factory with the running boards as opposed to the wonderful ill-fated motorized tonneau cover.

Brian

Sponsored

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

I also love having the running boards on Opal (our R1T). They are a significant upgrade to the usability of our truck. Rivians should have come from the Factory with the running boards as opposed to the wonderful ill-fated motorized tonneau cover.

Brian
I am puzzled by Rivian’s decision to not have running boards initially and then to have not addressed it with a retrofit.

I use the kneel mode which helps but is still not enough. My concern with constant kneeling is the wear on the air suspension.

Today is the day that I will install my EV1 running boards!

JimboJones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not an R1S
This is not "right to repair"; there is no federal "right to repair", and even if there were modifying a vehicle isn't covered.

This is a Magnusson Moss Act issue; a federal law from the 70's that among other things says a warranty can't be voided as the result of owner modification unless the issue is traceable to the modification.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
This. But my direct experience with service related to the running boards has been “those look pretty cool, how do you like them?”

OP
OP
EVTrucking

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

EV1 running boards installed! Just need to apply the Gorilla patch tape.

They definitely making getting in and out of the truck much easier. They look good too!

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I used my torque wrench to estimate the body bolt torque spec.
Sponsored