Sponsored

Delivery Delay Caused by QA Road Test

R1TUAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Yesterday, I received a phone call from the South San Francisco Service Center informing me that my R1T's delivery (which was supposed to be today, 6/13) would have to be delayed to this Thursday, 6/15.

During the QA road test they perform before delivery day, one of the tires caught a roofing nail in it which caused the tire to deflate quickly which then caused one of the 22" Sport Rims to get damaged. The Service Delivery Manager stated that they confirmed it was roofing nail that caused the deflation since the nail was still stuck in the tire and that the incident DID NOT occur on the highway and on the street. They also stated that they inspected the inner wheel well liner and everything came out unscathed. Since they didn't have a spare 22" Sport Bright on hand, they had to order one from a "nearby service center" which I'm assuming is the one located in San Jose, CA. This pushed my delivery date out two days.

Rivian seems pretty transparent about the entire issue, which I appreciate. However, as one would assume, this issue has many things racing through my mind considering the price we pay for these vehicles.

I will need to figure out specifically which wheel the incident occurred on, but here's what I'm going to thoroughly inspect on delivery day:

- All the tires and rims
- All the wheel wells
- All the suspension components
- Ensure the ride heights can be adjusted multiple times
- Test drive the car and listen for any out of ordinary noises

Should I be concerned with anything else here?
Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I'd just give it the same quality checks as if they never told you what the issue was. Maybe ask what street they were on when they picked up the nail and steer clear of there for a week or so.;)
It's nice they were transparent with you but don't let it freak you out. Congrats on the new Rivian your going to love it!

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
I'm two weeks past my delivery date and have yet to see the truck yet. the truck got dented at the SC and has been in the body shop since. I'm truly nervous about my inspection.

OP
OP
R1TUAL

R1TUAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Thanks, Travis. I appreciate the words of comfort.

When they called and told me that they popped the tire during the QA road test, it didn't overtly surprise me considering I went to the SSF Service Center for my First Mile test drive - the roads are horrible as it's in the middle of an industrial park, huge semi-trucks will do wonders to asphalt compounded by the record storms that hit the Bay Area. I definitely don't plan on driving around there anytime soon...

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Mine got a little messed up too before delivery. What I found is because of that they had all their lead guys go over my truck with a fine toothed comb before it was released to me. Once I got it there were no problems.

Sponsored

OP
OP
R1TUAL

R1TUAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Hang in there, Mark. Two weeks is brutal and I'm over here complaining to my friends and wife about two days. 😭

At the very least, to offer some solace, a dent is superficial and I don't think it would impact anything mechanical. Inspect the hell out of it though.

NormalLife

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Audi e-tron
Occupation
Med Device
They apparently don't drive them too much for a QA check. Mine only had 12 miles on it at delivery.

OP
OP
R1TUAL

R1TUAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
I hope they got Vin Diesel, Ludacris, and Sung Kang going over my truck with a fine tooth comb. 😁

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Must have been one hell of a roofing nail to cause the tire to deflate so fast it caused rim damage!
Isn't that the point of the TPMS? It warns you before the pressure gets dangerously low. Now if they said "we had a blowout at speed", I'd believe that as that could cause rim damage, but picking up a "roofing nail".. not buying that.

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
Hang in there, Mark. Two weeks is brutal and I'm over here complaining to my friends and wife about two days. 😭

At the very least, to offer some solace, a dent is superficial and I don't think it would impact anything mechanical. Inspect the hell out of it though.
I finally have a new delivery appointment this next Friday. I’m optimistic but cautious. ;-)
Sponsored