Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

new company or not, its not excusable. first they got $1000 from us, interest free. now they have your money and youre paying the interest.

sounds like yours could be related to the airbag recall
I'd think OP should be able to pop his VIN in here and find out:
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

OP
OP
rivian_panda

rivian_panda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Genius, Millionaire, Playboy, Philanthropist
Rivian should authorize like $1,000 credit to spend on accessories when situations like this arise.
He told me they have a rivian blue 20 inch offroad etc... I would have to pay more.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1S LE Canyon Red
Did you sign the Vehicle Purchase Agreement (Step 6)? Did Rivian sign it?

I’m not sure how they could “cancel” your assigned VIN if they already contracted to sell you the specific vehicle.
Simple it happens all the time. It could have been damaged, or some other problem.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It is a balancing act, they will get it dialed in.

They could wait until the trucks are at the service center and 100% ready to go before starting the 8 step process but that adds time to all deliveries.

They just need to figure out the earliest they cam start that process when it is clear things will go through.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

It is a balancing act, they will get it dialed in.

They could wait until the trucks are at the service center and 100% ready to go before starting the 8 step process but that adds time to all deliveries.

They just need to figure out the earliest they cam start that process when it is clear things will go through.
thats way better then whats happening here.

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, I am sure there is a very good reason why they're not selling that particular VIN.

But that is no excuse for not figuring out some way to make things right. At a minimum, Rivian should be paying interest to people who have paid in full but do not receive their vehicle within a reasonable time. A few days delay is no big deal, but at some point there needs to be compensation.

I wonder how understanding Rivian would be if the situation was reversed. If the OP had his truck and had not paid for it, and just told Rivian I'll pay you at some point but I cannot tell you when. Would Rivian say oh that's fine?
Making it right would be to return the money and then try to expedite a delivery on a new VIN. Which I am sure they are going to do. Just takes some patience. They are going to give a deal on a replacement truck.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have to wonder if they found some sort of a big issue with the vehicle and decided to make it non-saleable to tear it down for engineering to diagnose the problem. They ultimately don't have to tell you why they aren't selling it to you, because you haven't signed the final paperwork in person. The vehicle is not yours yet.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Making it right would be to return the money and then try to expedite a delivery on a new VIN. Which I am sure they are going to do. Just takes some patience. They are going to give a deal on a replacement truck.
That is an easy process when people pay cash but for the people who took a loan that is not feasible.

Sponsored

JayinNJ

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is an easy process when people pay cash but for the people who took a loan that is not feasible.
Very easy to cancel the loan and just go back to waiting for a new VIN. Obviously they didn't have the same build available to substitute so they offered what was available. Not much else anyone can do.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

He told me they have a rivian blue 20 inch offroad etc... I would have to pay more.
I don’t think it reasonable for you to get a $1800 wheel upgrade (unless you are an LE) and a $2500 paint upgrade for free.

SJaYx2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
@rivian_panda when did you order your truck if you don't mind me asking.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Very easy to cancel the loan and just go back to waiting for a new VIN. Obviously they didn't have the same build available to substitute so they offered what was available. Not much else anyone can do.
I think we have a different definition of easy. Once the loan is funded they need to split the payments between the loan company and personal accounts, then payoff the original loan and start a new loan process for the new loan.

Can all of that be done? Sure, is it considered easy? Questionable.

I’m not dealing with a loan and should a similar situation occur on my delivery, I would just wait for the new truck. The small amount of money involved in them having the payment early is not worth the effort to unwind the transfers to me.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I have to wonder if they found some sort of a big issue with the vehicle and decided to make it non-saleable to tear it down for engineering to diagnose the problem. They ultimately don't have to tell you why they aren't selling it to you, because you haven't signed the final paperwork in person. The vehicle is not yours yet.
this depends on the state in which you are taking delivery, and what part of transport the problem occurred.

From the PBA:

If you wish to pick up or take delivery of your Vehicle in a state where we are not licensed to sell the Vehicle, or if you and Rivian otherwise agree, Rivian will, on your behalf, coordinate the shipment of your Vehicle to you, generally from our dealership or our factory in Illinois, or another state where we are licensed to sell the Vehicle. In such a case, you agree that this is a shipment contract under which Rivian will coordinate the shipping of the Vehicle to you via a third-party common carrier or other mode of transport. You agree that delivery of the Vehicle, including the transfer of title and risk of loss to you, will occur at the time your Vehicle is loaded onto the transport (i.e., FOB shipping point). During such transit, your Vehicle will be insured at no cost to you, and you will be the beneficiary of any claims for damage to the Vehicle or losses occurring while the Vehicle is in transit.
Sponsored