OP
OP
OrthoBlock

OrthoBlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, X5 PHEV
Everyone knows you can put together a much, much, much better camp kitchen system for $5k on your own and just store it in the gear tunnel, right? Just checking.
Curious how much experience you have in pulling together kitchen systems [not a bunch of plastic tubs, and a bag of utensils, but rather an integrated system]?

In my experience in building integrated storage, sliders for trunks, the material costs alone for high-quality sliders, etc. can easily be stupid expensive. Not to mention anything about the huge number of hours of labor that goes into building one.

If you know how to build a nice integrated system for much less, I'm guessing you could make a nice hobby business [not a big enough market to warrant a "real" business] in making/selling those.
Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
have you asked rivian about when the camp kitchen would arrive? Curious what they might tell you.
No - I was just waiting to discuss with my guide when they finally reach out.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Everyone knows you can put together a much, much, much better camp kitchen system for $5k on your own and just store it in the gear tunnel, right? Just checking.
You can?

I’ve priced out all the bits included and it’s actually quite reasonable. Snow peak stuff, for example, isn’t cheap, but the quality is commensurate with the price.
All of the things included added up are at below retail.

The primary appeal is convenience and integration.
I could just throw my existing camping box in the frunk or the bed, but that’s way less convenient. And not nearly as shiny. ?

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
Unpopular opinion alert - the kitchen is a way overpriced toy, and eliminates one of the R1T's best features - the gear tunnel. I bought an electric hotplate at Walmart for less than $20 and it takes up much less space and plugs right into the bed. I can bring my own small table, plates and stuff, and a jug of water. This truck as plenty of coolness already without me having to drop $5k just to get that "wow" factor from my friends. Also, I prefer grilling so I would have my Weber Q grill with me anyway.
No doubt - I'm not getting it but it was more a statement - ie don't want my money hostage if I was getting it. Love the concept. You can always store it away when not camping as they've shown but I agree. I prefer to grill or cook on open flame at a site. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to build one much cheaper. Hopefully a 3rd party. But I am getting the pull out for the gear tunnel however I find that extremely expensive at $2k. It'll save my back. I do find it impressive.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Unpopular opinion alert - the kitchen is a way overpriced toy, and eliminates one of the R1T's best features - the gear tunnel. I bought an electric hotplate at Walmart for less than $20 and it takes up much less space and plugs right into the bed. I can bring my own small table, plates and stuff, and a jug of water. This truck as plenty of coolness already without me having to drop $5k just to get that "wow" factor from my friends. Also, I prefer grilling so I would have my Weber Q grill with me anyway.
I made the same comment awhile back on this board...."I'll put together my own!" But once RJ and the designer did a run through of it and I saw how well it was engineered AND they threw in the whole Snow Peak set and the gear shuttle...I'd say its worth every penny.

Sponsored

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Same question with the tent. Is it shipping??

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Did you know it's fully removable?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
The Camp Kitchen is, yes, but the Gear Shuttle is only removable by Service Techs according to my Guide.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The Camp Kitchen is, yes, but the Gear Shuttle is only removable by Service Techs according to my Guide.
I have my doubts that it requires any sort of a special tool. The only gotcha I can see is if there are fasteners between the battery and bottom of the tunnel. They probably just don't want to support it being a DIY install.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have my doubts that it requires any sort of a special tool. The only gotcha I can see is if there are fasteners between the battery and bottom of the tunnel. They probably just don't want to support it being a DIY install.
Yeah, he couldn't tell me why it wasn't user serviceable, only that it wasn't. I speculated that it was because of the power integration for the Shuttle or perhaps a required torque spec for the mounting points. Seems like it should be pretty easy to remove/replace yourself though.

Sponsored

emj5150

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma, Lexus hybrid
Occupation
Sales
Yes, but so is my Weber Q and hot plate. I have less than $300 invested in that and takes up much less space.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yes, but so is my Weber Q and hot plate. I have less than $300 invested in that and takes up much less space.
Should probably just stick with the car you have too instead of getting something better.

emj5150

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
No doubt - I'm not getting it but it was more a statement - ie don't want my money hostage if I was getting it. Love the concept. You can always store it away when not camping as they've shown but I agree. I prefer to grill or cook on open flame at a site. I'm sure someone will figure out a way to build one much cheaper. Hopefully a 3rd party. But I am getting the pull out for the gear tunnel however I find that extremely expensive at $2k. It'll save my back. I do find it impressive.
I'm with you on the gear shuttle. And the kitchen is really awesome and neat. But it really doesn't do much that I can't do with a hot plate, except occupy 100% of the gear tunnel. I'm sure the plates and utensils are really nice, but certainly don't need that when I'm out in the woods or camping. I don't blame anyone who buys it, but just not for me.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I bet you could mount the Weber to the gear shuttle and have a DIY camp kitchen that would be pretty legit.

emj5150

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales
Should probably just stick with the car you have too instead of getting something better.
Haha. I don't drive a car. My wife does. I have a Tacoma. I cook like a mf'r out of it with my Q.
Sponsored