LivingInKaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Green Forest Edge
Occupation
Own Fabrication Company
Clubs

Very nice! As for the comments that resulted in the additional gusseting of your bars, the lateral movement shouldn't be an issue anyway if your load is secured to one or both of the roof mounted bars as there is no lateral movement happening there. That said, sure enough, someone would tie things down to just these and not the roof and that argument would be out the window. I had, myself, purchased a second set of bars to modify for this purpose, but time is not on my side right now at work, so I haven't had time to mess with it. I'd be interested in a set from you as well. Love to support other small business!
Sponsored

Aonach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure - Rivian Blue
As for the comments that resulted in the additional gusseting of your bars, the lateral movement shouldn't be an issue anyway if your load is secured to one or both of the roof mounted bars as there is no lateral movement happening there. That said, sure enough, someone would tie things down to just these and not the roof and that argument would be out the window.
Agree with the physics here. It's all about intention of use and using it properly when you do.

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
I don't have a use case for something like this *yet* but when I do need something like this. I'll be sure to look at this forum for advice first. and that makes me a *potential* buyer.

I would need to know how much weight something like that can support both moving and standing still. So if you have a lab evaluate. Getting those two specs would be essential.

Good job by the way :)

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Very nice! As for the comments that resulted in the additional gusseting of your bars, the lateral movement shouldn't be an issue anyway if your load is secured to one or both of the roof mounted bars as there is no lateral movement happening there. That said, sure enough, someone would tie things down to just these and not the roof and that argument would be out the window. I had, myself, purchased a second set of bars to modify for this purpose, but time is not on my side right now at work, so I haven't had time to mess with it. I'd be interested in a set from you as well. Love to support other small business!
The issue is that you have to get your load onto the rack somehow before it can get secured. It's probably going to be fine with the additional support structure he designed into the second revision though.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
I designed and made these cab high crossbars. I'm thinking about going into production of these and was wondering how much interest there might be. They install using the existing anchor points on the bedrails in under 5 minutes.
You say they install using the existing anchor points. That is good to know, but how or what are you using to clamp into those ports? People seem to be focused on the rack, which looks good. However, roof racks come in all shapes and sizes, for all sorts of different purposes. Ultimately, they have to attach securely to the vehicle somehow. Maybe I’m missing something, but that seems to me to be an issue with the Rivian port system. Apparently you have solved this problem and that is great news!! Sooo, what is your solution? Did you make the clamps, source the clamps somewhere, or bolt the racks on somehow?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Depending on Price of course, I'm in. I've been thinking about this kind of thing because I just picked up a long ladder at Home Depot and started thinking about items that would benefit from the elevated rails in the back that you have designed.

Well done.

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
To whoever said screws vs welds doesn’t matter may not have spent much time off-road or on washboard roads.
The vibrations will loosen those screws pretty quickly.
I’m glad you wrote “may not have spent much time offroad“, and werent sure that I haven’t. I live in California and have driven thousands of miles on desert washboard and unpaved roads all over the West for the past 40+ years. I’ve had screws and bolts loosen and welds break too. But I’m not prejudging this design.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
You're right!!! I'd be extremely careful using this setup. It failed in testing and if it causes any damage to your truck Rivian will not warranty it.
are you allowed to elaborate on what the failure mode was in testing?

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m glad you wrote “may not have spent much time offroad“, and werent sure that I haven’t. I live in California and have driven thousands of miles on desert washboard and unpaved roads all over the West for the past 40+ years. I’ve had screws and bolts loosen and welds break too. But I’m not prejudging this design.
The 250 in your name, for some reason, made me think that you might be a dirt bike rider.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

are you allowed to elaborate on what the failure mode was in testing?
Unfortunately I cannot. Just know that if it had worked, Yakima would have supplied Rivian with the OverHaul and OutPost.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Unfortunately I cannot. Just know that if it had worked, Yakima would have supplied Rivian with the OverHaul and OutPost.
Too bad this sort of rack arrangement seemingly wasn’t a design consideration when designing the bed rails/attachment points.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brian

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and F350
I appreciate all of your comments. I'm currently on vacation with limited access. Watch for more information in September.

fotojoh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2011 Tundra, various Porsche
Occupation
Business Owner
I appreciate all of your comments. I'm currently on vacation with limited access. Watch for more information in September.
Brian,
1. Count me as being VERY interested. I was about to fabricate something myself and found this thread. I have an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 that won't fit behind the cab and would also be a bit long for the top of the cab alone.
2. I second the comments about using a molle-pattern attachment configuration on the horizontal members.
3. I would also like to see what type of connection the units have with the bed accessory ports
Sponsored