Custom Cab High Crossbars

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and F350
I designed and made these cab high crossbars. I'm thinking about going into production of these and was wondering how much interest there might be. They install using the existing anchor points on the bedrails in under 5 minutes. I use the Yakima heavy duty bars so all the accessories that work on the Rivian crossbars work. In the picture with 20' lumber on top I'm using the Yakima Load Stops.

Rivian R1T R1S Custom Cab High Crossbars R1T Cab High Crossbars Side View
Rivian R1T R1S Custom Cab High Crossbars R1T Cab High Crossbars Rear View
Rivian R1T R1S Custom Cab High Crossbars R1T Cab High Crossbars with 20' Truss Joist
Sponsored

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
Great idea. With such a short bed that is exactly what we need for our Rivian R1t.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This’ll be interesting given that the same sort of arrangement failed in testing by Rivian/Yakima, which is why they don’t offer it

cc: @wicked2112

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Very cool, thanks for sharing. I would definitely consider it if something like this was available for sale. connecting the front and rear column members, I would think, provides additional rigidity and reduces the amount of moment that those bed mounting points are exposed to. I imagine that it’s also a lot more work to implement. Did you consider doing that? I’d be curious to hear about your design process.

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
Love it! May need additional rigidity though. Maybe something that makes the two rear towers into a single connected unit or just much wider feet at each mount point. Not sure those would hold up to a heavy stop with a load otherwise.

Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

This’ll be interesting given that the same sort of arrangement failed in testing by Rivian/Yakima, which is why they don’t offer it

cc: @wicked2112
You're right!!! I'd be extremely careful using this setup. It failed in testing and if it causes any damage to your truck Rivian will not warranty it.

OP
OP
Brian

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and F350
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to design cross arms on the back side of the oval tubing.
I thought about just connecting the 2 together but the real strength will come from connecting the top to bottom using cross arms. The aesthetics of cross arms bother me but safety should come 1st.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I really like this idea.
This is the reason why we switched back to the R1S (the proportions are better too). The bed on the T is just so small, it’s useless for anything like kayaks, SUPs and other long items.
I’ve been looking at solutions such as this for our Raptor and saw one on the street the other day with a Yakima setup.
By the way anything held with screws, bolts, etc rather than welded would be pretty much useless off-road as it would undo itself with all the vibrations. Loctite anyone 😉

Rivian R1T R1S Custom Cab High Crossbars 64A68062-F168-4FEA-9870-C3068E45ACB7

PS: don’t forget to attach a piece of red cloth or something high visibility. This lumber sticks out pretty far back and would be hard to see.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to design cross arms on the back side of the oval tubing.
I thought about just connecting the 2 together but the real strength will come from connecting the top to bottom using cross arms. The aesthetics of cross arms bother me but safety should come 1st.
Those risers make for some long levers. Note the footprint of similar setups offered by Thule/yakima.

considerably longer to spread along the bed rails.

OP
OP
Brian

Brian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and F350
Once I've designed the cross arms I plan on sending the design to an independent test lab for feedback. I'm also going to reach out to Rivian to see if I can get the stress test data on those anchor points because without that data I cannot expect an accurate analysis.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I like the look of them, but there's no way they will survive long term. I'd only consider something for work duty that was one solid piece and used all eight mount points at the same time.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
Brian,
I love it... If it is solid and level with the front roof cross bars, I would be an interested buyer.

PK

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs