Custom Cab High Crossbars

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Does it disassemble? Or are all those pieces welded together?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Does it disassemble? Or are all those pieces welded together?
There appear to be six large fasteners on each crossbrace.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Count me in

Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
IMO it is these kind of "problem solving" efforts that are essential to turn the Rivian into a true "Adventure" platform - Kudos.

If your vertical pieces and the Rivian bed rail are sufficiently strong, I'd like to see the horizontal pieces of your design have a more typical "Molle" pattern.

This would allow for the attachment for things inside or outside the bed using standard and readily available mounting options. Think Rotopax water, Hi-Lift jack, axe, traction boards, etc. You can find lots of examples on the web of how people tend to use these.

In any case, the use of a Molle pattern would cost little if anything more to make and add more flexibility to the design; increasing potential sales. Of course anything attached to the outside would be even less aerodynamic. But options are good, right?

K2ATL-R1T

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 LR4, ‘22 X5, ‘12 Mini, Defender 110 & 130
Occupation
General Contractor
I’d be very interested!! I just a message a few weeks ago to my guide asking if anything like this was being planned.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Nice work Brian! I'll be watching this thread to see where you go from here!!!

Dman250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Transit plus a few more, all ICE
Nice work! To be blunt, I’m surprised at some of the negative comments. Without knowing the actual materials used, and the OP’s desired load rating, you can’t say it’s “too weak” or “unsafe”. As for screws vs welds, well, your wheels are screwed on, not welded on to the hubs. The reality is that MOST aftermarket accessories for pickups and 4WD’s are not really engineered (Yakima, Warn, ARB are exceptions). Some are rugged through being over-designed. Some are junk. If you’re hauling long lumber or pipe or sheet goods that’s fastened to 3 or 4 crossbars, the reality is that there’s redundancy if one part or fastener fails, and redundancy is a good thing. All that said, I think the utility truck rack aftermarket will come through with other options as Rivian gains popularity, but Rivian themselves may avoid cab high racks to discourage seeming to endorse high-drag payloads which will reduce range.

Sponsored

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
The rack, itself, should not be a particular design problem, IMHO. What I am interested in, and maybe I missed it, Is how the rack is being attached to the Rivian mounting ports. If that problem is solved, as far as rack design and function goes, the sky is the limit. I am more interested in a full size roof rack for an R1S, to mount a hard shell tent and gear to. So, Brian, how did you attach your rack to the Rivian ports, or were you able to remove the ports and bolt it on?

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I like it. You should pitch your design to Rivian.

Long term I would love to hear how it holds up.
Don't pitch your design to RIvian. Patent it and sell it here and other on line places.

diranged

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Yup, I’d buy these in a heartbeat. We want to use a bigger roof top tent, and this would solve it for us… so count me
In!

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

To whoever said screws vs welds doesn’t matter may not have spent much time off-road or on washboard roads.
The vibrations will loosen those screws pretty quickly.
Knowing that most people don’t even check their tire pressure, how likely are they to tighten those screws regularly?
That being said I really like the idea and admire the perseverance shown by the OP. Great work!

Aonach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure - Rivian Blue
Brian
You are a very industrious person and I appreciate the effort here. VERY interested in something like this. Count me in!

I am not as concerned about strength as others are. My intent would simply to be to haul my 2 person kayak, trim lumber from time to time etc. Lighter and more short term loads. I am kind of having regrets about the R1T versus R1S for the the R1T's inability to carry longer items.

We need a solution so count me in! The sooner the better. It's either this or buy a kayak trailer which is just another big thing to store and deal with for only occasional need. Engineer away my friend and keep us posted.

Plus, this just makes a truck look that much cooler IMHO!
Sponsored