Sponsored

Compressor cover doesn't latch?

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Does anyone have a solution to keep the compressor cover shut? Mine seems like it's just spring loaded and is always a bit open. Seems like something easily snagged to break off. Stick-on velcro seems likely to get fuzzed up and not work.
Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

use magnets, works like a charm. fyi, i asked the service center about this and they said its just the way it is. some close covers stay closed better than others. imo, its just poorly designed or cheap, like the covers inside the gear tunnel doors.

NathanM

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2013 4Runner
Clubs

I had the same problem since day one, had it “fixed” or replaced at my first service visit but it still happens even after the repair. Small rare earth/neodymium magnets probably would work best but I wish that kind of rigging wasn’t necessary.

Eric9610

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Tesla MY, MB E350, MB S550
Clubs

I have this problem from new. Will be doing the 3D print solution.

Sponsored

punjabi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

i hv service appointment for exact same thing. let's see what they end up fixing. they could have made this loaded with spring just like the other one for the 110v outlets.

danen1973

First Name
Nenad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Does anyone have a solution to keep the compressor cover shut? Mine seems like it's just spring loaded and is always a bit open. Seems like something easily snagged to break off. Stick-on velcro seems likely to get fuzzed up and not work.
I took my truck in to the SC for this issue. They replaced the cover but the new cover is doing the same thing.
I ordered this and I'm very happy with how it works.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09DF2X5Y8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
It was never made to latch shut. The physical and mechanical features needed are not there. Glue a small button magnet to coincide with the spigot. Magnetism, or added weight alone, will keep it down.

OP
OP

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If you have a 3D printer. Someone made a solution
Thanks. I printed it in nylon to be a bit more weather-proof and durable. Not sure if I will use that as a permanent solution, since if you use both ends of the gear guard it won't work. But for now it's good.

I've got some small magnets about the size of the compressor nozzle end, so may try one of them also. Anyone know the best way to stick a magnet to the plastic cover? Epoxy? I'm guessing a neodymium magnet doesn't glue very well, even with epoxy, especially on bumpy / washboard roads.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Thanks. I printed it in nylon to be a bit more weather-proof and durable. Not sure if I will use that as a permanent solution, since if you use both ends of the gear guard it won't work. But for now it's good.

I've got some small magnets about the size of the compressor nozzle end, so may try one of them also. Anyone know the best way to stick a magnet to the plastic cover? Epoxy? I'm guessing a neodymium magnet doesn't glue very well, even with epoxy, especially on bumpy / washboard roads.
3M double sided adhesive tape (like VHB). Clean bonding surfaces first with rubbing alcohol.

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I have a box full of small magnets but when I held one up, it didn't seem strong enough. Care to share a photo of your solution?
The smallest from this bundle is what I used. Placed it on the spigot, closed and pressed the lid on it with my palm. Holding since August. If magnetism isn't what's keeping the lid down, the added weight is.

Edit: Odd, the amazon link I had posted disappeared. Re-added.

Last edited:

OUTAGAS

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Owner of solar energy business
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Compressor cover doesn't latch? image
Get these magnets at Home Depot along with a bottle of super glue.
Rough up one side of a magnet and its mating surface on the back of the cover. Stick the slick side of the magnet onto the air spigot and put a drop of super glue on the rough side. Immediately close the lid and apply pressure in the center over the magnet for about a minute. Problem solved.
Sponsored