First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Thought I'd update folks as this recently came up. If it's quite and you're paying attention you can hear and sometimes feel through the pedal a noise when changing from paying throttle to regen, particularly rapidly at low speeds. While stopping at the service center to get my spare installed they confirmed that this is normal and by design at the front motor.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, I wouldn't that given it a second thought (and potentially tially wouldn't have noticed it) on an ICE, it feels very similar to picking up some slack in a gearbox. Which is apparently basically what's going on.
Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Thought I'd update folks as this recently came up. If it's quite and you're paying attention you can hear and sometimes feel through the pedal a noise when changing from paying throttle to regen, particularly rapidly at low speeds. While stopping at the service center to get my spare installed they confirmed that this is normal and by design at the front motor.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, I wouldn't that given it a second thought (and potentially tially wouldn't have noticed it) on an ICE, it feels very similar to picking up some slack in a gearbox. Which is apparently basically what's going on.
As long as that is a ā€œNormalā€ thing covered under warranty lol.

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
If this is as intended then it represents a notable handicap compared to Tesla, with no avenue for improvement.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
As described by @SeaGeo, this is barely perceptible gear lash. I'm not particularly concerned at this point.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Iā€™ve heard it in mine and the loanerā€¦loaner however has an added faint chirp after my 1300 mile road trip (approved by Rivian and guide) between regen and accelerating. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Maybe didnā€™t like hyper mile-ing in conserve mode?

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
As described by @SeaGeo, this is barely perceptible gear lash. I'm not particularly concerned at this point.
Zero clunking or driveline lash on our ā€˜21 Model Y. I will be looking out for this during my mid month R1T test drive experience.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Iā€™ve heard it in mine and the loanerā€¦loaner however has an added faint chirp after my 1300 mile road trip (approved by Rivian and guide) between regen and accelerating. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Maybe didnā€™t like hyper mile-ing in conserve mode?
I'm pretty sure mine has this noise as well and I never really use Conserve. Most noticeable when above 40mph, ACC set, and floating between very lower power/0/very low regen on the power guage.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If this is as intended then it represents a notable handicap compared to Tesla, with no avenue for improvement.
There is no basis to say that it's a handicap. We don't have any of the context behind the design decision, and it doesn't seem to actually impact anything negatively. for all we know, it increases the motor lift or allows for additional suspension travel. It's barely perceptible and I generally have to try intentionally do something similar to what @godfodder0901 described to make it occur.

Last edited:

Engi_Nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR, Alfa Romeo Giulia
There is no basis to say that it's a handicap. We don't have any of the context behind the design decision, and it doesn't seem to actually impact anything negatively. for all we know, it increases the motor lift or allows for additional suspension travel. It's barely perceptible and I generally have to try intentionally do something similar to what @godfodder0901 described to make it occur.
Agree that it might be a design decision based around articulation or perhaps the way Rivian outsourced their drive units. For me personally though, the drivetrain refinement is a big part of the appeal of EV. Tesla's seats, suspension, and paint are all pretty crap considering the price, but their drivetrain is buttery smooth and quiet at all speeds and traffic conditions. Definitely something I will be looking for on a test drive.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Agree that it might be a design decision based around articulation or perhaps the way Rivian outsourced their drive units. For me personally though, the drivetrain refinement is a big part of the appeal of EV. Tesla's seats, suspension, and paint are all pretty crap considering the price, but their drivetrain is buttery smooth and quiet at all speeds and traffic conditions. Definitely something I will be looking for on a test drive.
I am too. That's why I noticed it. lol.

Just making sure, you are aware of the motor hum with the R1T, right?

Overall, it's quite a bit louder and less smooth than my ID.4 was when hitting a pothole. Generally from feeling like a truck on air suspension. .

Sponsored

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

My EV6 GT-Line AWD is very smooth and no clunking. I have put about 2,800 miles on it. At low speed (<20mph) it does have a faint electric motor hum that I have gotten used to.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Back lash. Will be interesting to see if it increases with vehicle age. Some
brands are known for having excessive back lash, especially as the drivetrain wears in.

How did I not realize you got your R1T? I thought you were going to get the Lightning first based on messaging from Ford.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Back lash. Will be interesting to see if it increases with vehicle age. Some
brands are known for having excessive back lash, especially as the drivetrain wears in.

How did I not realize you got your R1T? I thought you were going to get the Lightning first based on messaging from Ford.
Rivian got ahead of schedule for me. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Congrats! Hopefully the Lightning arrives s00n. Iā€™d love to check it out, especially a side by side.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Congrats! Hopefully the Lightning arrives s00n. Iā€™d love to check it out, especially a side by side.
Good idea!
Sponsored