Sponsored

ChatGPT to summarize long forum threads

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
There are so many interesting yet really long threads here on the forum, I’m wondering if the admins have considered using ChatGPT to summarize them to produce TLDRs?

https://openai.com/product
Sponsored

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
At what point in a thread would you generate the TLDR summary? Would you re-generate it after new content was added to the thread?

Often, early in a threads life, multiple solutions or significant ideas are added in the first few pages. Other times, no new significant developments are posted to a thread for 20 pages; then again 20 pages lates, a significant development is added.

Other times, a year later, a new solution is proposed to the "problem" described in the thread.

What would be the "trigger"? Do you want a notification of the TLDR each time it is modified, even though most of the info might (or might not) be identical?

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Personally for me a thread starts becoming too long to look through after it’s about 3 to 4 pages. That could be the trigger for ChatGPT to summarize what’s there and subsequent triggers would be with each full page of responses. As a thread lengthens there may not be any new information or solutions offered and thus the summary would not really change. Generally I do not think notifications are needed that a TLDR has been posted or modified. This is because most people who post to a thread are watching it and participating in the discussion so the TLDR really isn’t for them. It’s for folks who come upon the thread later, after a lot has already been said.

A poll could help inform these decisions as well. I imagine there’s a lot of data collected on how users interact with the threads and perhaps that could be leveraged as well to see when TLDRs could be used. For example, I often see people posting a question in a new thread that was already discussed in another thread and a user has to post the link. Another use of ChatGPT could be to reference these TLDRs automatically if it’s monitoring every new post.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would agree to this only for use on the cybertruck threads.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I would agree to this only for use on the cybertruck threads.
Those don’t need one, we can just add a generic summary;

That truck is ugly
Best Truck Ever
Will never sell
Will sell millions
Elon is the devil
Elon is a god
The Super Charger network is awesome
yea but…. well…OK

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Those don’t need one, we can just add a generic summary;

That truck is ugly
Best Truck Ever
Will never sell
Will sell millions
Elon is the devil
Elon is a god
The Super Charger network is awesome
yea but…. well…OK
Exactly! as long as it fills in the “ugly truck, Elon is bad” stuff it could save me a lot of time…

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I think the perfect use of ChatGPT would be to answer questions.

In fact if you have a question it should first go to the ChatGPT, and only if ChatGPT doesn't know then the question gets posted to the forum.

Rivian themselves should use ChatGPT as well for customers to report things to Rivian. So if you were reporting something already known about it would tell you. Something like "Hey, we have that bug listed as bug 10,535" and maybe some estimate like "We estimate the bug will be fixed by 2054"

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah that’s a great point!

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
At what point in a thread would you generate the TLDR summary? Would you re-generate it after new content was added to the thread?

Often, early in a threads life, multiple solutions or significant ideas are added in the first few pages. Other times, no new significant developments are posted to a thread for 20 pages; then again 20 pages lates, a significant development is added.

Other times, a year later, a new solution is proposed to the "problem" described in the thread.
What would be the "trigger"? Do you want a notification of the TLDR each time it is modified, even though most of the info might (or might not) be identical?
The chat bot will tell us.

BTW these things aint that great yet. Check out the WSJ op ed on it. They sometimes straight up lie or make mistakes. Yes I get it they don't lie like you or me.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Either the authors of the forum software would have to incorporate it as a configurable feature, or the admins would have to do it manually. I’m guessing the admins have zero interest in doing it manually.

A possible implementation would be to have a button to click on demand in the thread list that generates a summary when clicked. That way it is always current.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I’m wondering if the admins have considered using ChatGPT to summarize them to produce TLDRs?
You want @Administrator to tldr; the 20 pages for you so you don't have to click through them all? That's literally how they pay the bills for this place is by you clicking on those pages. You want to shell out for the servers? By all means, money bags, become a sponsor. In the meantime, I'll give up my data for free content.

Rivian R1T R1S ChatGPT to summarize long forum threads IMG_20230313_010403

OP
OP
SciGuy

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You want @Administrator to tldr; the 20 pages for you so you don't have to click through them all? That's literally how they pay the bills for this place is by you clicking on those pages. You want to shell out for the servers? By all means, money bags, become a sponsor. In the meantime, I'll give up my data for free content.

IMG_20230313_010403.gif
😂
For sure ad revenue is how this site makes money. With concise question/answer info, Google searches should drive a lot of traffic to the site, perhaps away from competitors. I’m guessing there’s some first mover advantage here though it would be a gamble for sure.
Sponsored