Sponsored

Charging routines

What’s going to be your charging approach/routine?

• Total voters

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
With a general understanding of battery chemistry and degradation, how do you plan on keeping your Rivian charged? For those of you with electric vehicles already, what seems to work best for you? I imagine errands around town, or daily commutes you don’t top off everyday or every night and go several days without connecting to charge. Is range anxiety still affecting you and causing you to find yourself keeping it plugged in whenever you can?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I currently go 3 or 4 days without charging, then charge to 80ish percent depending on what the next couple of days look like.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Charge at home as needed. not every day necessarily. have never used a public charging station for intra-city use.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

When we bought our Tesla we originally charged every night. Now we do it as needed.

Sponsored

dmnyc

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
My wife fortunately has free charging where she works, so she'll be the primary driver and will charge during the day. We live in an apartment without a dedicated parking spot, and no way to install a home charger, so this will be helpful.

nukem384

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3/Rivian R1S
As close to 90% as I can at all times. I get free charging at work, but I don't go into the office all the time. So in reality, my SOC will probably be all over the place. But closer to 90% makes me feel better.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
You might update the poll to reflect the options available on the Rivian:

Trip (100%)
Extended (~84%)
Daily (~66%)

Rivian R1T R1S Charging routines 1630624885294

For almost all owners, "Daily" will be much more than they actually use in a day and should probably be the option they select.

I actually don't see the need for three choices - the number of times you will need more than 200 but less than 252 miles in a day is pretty small. Most people will either need just a little for daily needs - or a lot.

Maybe with DCFC "Extended" is the preferred and that's where significant taper kicks in?
Some EV's allow separate SOC values for AC and DC charging, but I find that I manually terminate a DC session before a set charge point would stop the charge anyway.

Chilimac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi eTron
Occupation
Retired
I charge at home as needed to 80%, probably 2X per week. For long trips I charge to 100% the night before, then map out a level 3 charger stop if needed.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Haven't own an ev, but I was planning to have it ~60% weekdays and maybe 80 on weekends just in case. For long trips def 100%

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The daily pretty much describes what I already do. Float between 30 and 70%

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

With my Model X I charge to 90% (currently 210-215 miles) and recharge once I get below 50%. I rarely go below 100 miles range remaining. I'd be fine with charging my R1S to a lower percentage if it gives me similar number of miles.

Gamma rays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Is there a consensus on which charging routine would result in optimal battery life?

GR

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Is there a consensus on which charging routine would result in optimal battery life?

GR
Plugged in every night and charged at the slowest rate to the range that will be ready for the next day will probably stress the battery the least.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S

GR
Plugged in every night and charged at the slowest rate to the range that will be ready for the next day will probably stress the battery the least.
Any home charging (L1 or L2) is at a slow enough rate the the battery will not notice any difference.

As to the best routine, the "Daily" selection says "Best for battery life" and implies that charging to that level every day is fine or even preferred.
Sponsored