Sponsored

Charging Port popping open when hosing car down!

Mongcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander SE
Occupation
Retired
that doesn't seem right.

I was hosing down my very new RS1 and everytime the stream of water hit the charging port, it opened. Told Alexa to close it. She did. Sprayed water on the area, popped open again. Tried to recreate the sort of stuttering impact with my finger. No luck.

Just me? Am I missing something? Makes me nervous about taking it into a regular car wash for the first time.
Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

that doesn't seem right.

I was hosing down my very new RS1 and everytime the stream of water hit the charging port, it opened. Told Alexa to close it. She did. Sprayed water on the area, popped open again. Tried to recreate the sort of stuttering impact with my finger. No luck.

Just me? Am I missing something? Makes me nervous about taking it into a regular car wash for the first time.
Carwash mode...

OP
OP

Mongcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander SE
Occupation
Retired
Carwash mode...
Because carwash mode locks the port? But why in the name of heck does it open from the impact of the stream of water? I tried all kinds of ways to recreate the feel and strength of a stream of water with no success. Ok, now I am reading something about capacitance. ??

waitingonanr1s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 QM R1S
Because carwash mode locks the port? But why in the name of heck does it open from the impact of the stream of water? I tried all kinds of ways to recreate the feel and strength of a stream of water with no success.
Yes, that primary reason car wash mode exists - to prevent the port from opening while being washed. Port will only open when car is unlocked and in park - so it's not a concern at any other time.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It's a capacitive button like the touchscreen on your phone.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Doesn't really hurt anything to get water in the port, but an in-place automatic touch wash could rip the door right off.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

Because carwash mode locks the port? But why in the name of heck does it open from the impact of the stream of water? I tried all kinds of ways to recreate the feel and strength of a stream of water with no success. Ok, now I am reading something about capacitance. ??
Yes, your phone screen is also capacitive - try dripping some water on it - it'll react. Carwash mode keeps the sensor from opening the door. If you are in anything other than park or the doors are locked, the port won't open, but use carwash mode anyway because why risk it at an automatic carwash. That's why the mode exists

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
Mine does the same thing. I just don’t point a jet of water at it anymore. Problem solved. Like others have stated, there’s the car wash mode but I don’t use it.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Doesn't really hurt anything to get water in the port, but an in-place automatic touch wash could rip the door right off.
That won’t happen because it only activates in park, not neutral. Every automatic car wash I know about has you in neutral.

Sponsored

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
That won’t happen because it only activates in park, not neutral. Every automatic car wash I know about has you in neutral.
There are plenty of car washes in my area that have you in park, in fact all the automatic ones are like that where the equipment moves around the car, not where the car is pulled through.

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX
Just lock the truck. It’ll prevent the door from opening. The water mimics when you touch the opener with your finger.

OP
OP

Mongcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander SE
Occupation
Retired
Just lock the truck. It’ll prevent the door from opening. The water mimics when you touch the opener with your finger.
Still confused. So you CAN manually open the port by touching with your finger? I am getting mixed messages as to whether this is a result of touch or electric conductivity..

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Still confused. So you CAN manually open the port by touching with your finger? I am getting mixed messages as to whether this is a result of touch or electric conductivity..
It’s capacitive touch. You can touch to open, or you can spray it water if you have an emergency and it must be opened from a distance while you have a hose in your hands.

So yes - works with fingers, assuming Car Wash Mode is OFF.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The fender button uses the same technology as a modern touchscreen. It doesn't react to pressure, it reacts to proximity to the water in your finger.

It can't tell the difference between the water in your finger and the water coming out of the hose.

The advantage of a capacitive sensor is that it has no moving parts so it can never wear out.
Sponsored