Sponsored

Charging Port popping open when hosing car down!

OP
OP

Mongcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Highlander SE
Occupation
Retired
The fender button uses the same technology as a modern touchscreen. It doesn't react to pressure, it reacts to proximity to the water in your finger.

It can't tell the difference between the water in your finger and the water coming out of the hose.

The advantage of a capacitive sensor is that it has no moving parts so it can never wear out.
Thanks all. I make no claims to have the science background to understand any of this capacitive stuff except in broadest terms but this forum and my RS1 are a joyful source of learning. One of the motivations for buying a Rivian was because of the anticipated eye-opening and horizon-broadening potential and it is delivering in spades. thanks again to all who responded.
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Thanks all. I make no claims to have the science background to understand any of this capacitive stuff except in broadest terms but this forum and my RS1 are a joyful source of learning. One of the motivations for buying a Rivian was because of the anticipated eye-opening and horizon-broadening potential and it is delivering in spades. thanks again to all who responded.
It's an eye-opening experience, but hang around the guys and gals here and you'll gain some insight. The Rivian capacitive touch sensor, like all uses the slight electric pulse from your body to trigger the sensor. In this case opening the charge port. This is common, but is obvious to me that the wide ranging sensor they used also has a ghost touch from water droplets.....use Car Wash Mode.

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Both my wifeā€™s Honda odyssey and my previous ā€˜22 Tahoe had ā€œkick to openā€ liftgates.

The water from the hose would cause them to open if I had the key on me while washing.

I learned to lock the car and keep the key far enough away so it didnā€™t activate. I recommend you try that as the charge port wonā€™t open when locked.

I actually really like the kick to open feature and wish the rivian had it.

cjust2006

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adv Limestone
Occupation
IT Analyst
Carwash mode does, or used to, disable if the car went to sleep while washing. Would wake up and open charge port. I just lock the truck and leave the phone far away.

Herb

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, John Deere, 1T max DM Performance
The motorized door is feature I could do without. When I put mine through a stationary car wash the first time, I forgot about car wash mode. I locked the truck thinking about door handles (which I also find pointless). PAAK unlocked inadvertently with brushes approaching. Thankfully the charging door was not triggered - it probably would have cost me dearly. Why does this have to be different than a fuel door on any ICE vehicle? If you should ever find yourself with a completely empty battery, you can't release the door without tools and getting under the truck to release a cable. Why not run this cable into the interior and save all this fancy stuff? First world problems...

Last edited:

Sponsored

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
The motorized door is feature I could do without. When I put mine through a stationary car wash the first time, I forgot about car wash mode. I locked the truck thinking about door handles (which I also find pointless). PAAK unlocked inadvertently with brushes approaching. Thankfully the charging door was not triggered - it probably would have cost me dearly. Why does this have to be different than a fuel door on any ICE vehicle?
The fuel door on an ICE vehicle can also be trigger by a car wash and ripped from the vehicle.

Herb

First Name
Herbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911, John Deere, 1T max DM Performance
The fuel door on an ICE vehicle can also be trigger by a car wash and ripped from the vehicle.
I suppose it's possible with the click-pen mechanism, not with a cable release and not by spraying water on it.
Sponsored