Sponsored

Charging curve. Has it been documentated/displayede?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Rivian has stated a max of 200kW during charging. For how long and at what point(s) of the state of charge? Most other EV, state a max charge value but fail to mention it is just for a short time frame. These charge curves often are sub 100kW rates for the first 80% SOC. Any news (I searched) from Rivian?
Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Rivian has stated a max of 200kW during charging. For how long and at what point(s) of the state of charge? Most other EV, state a max charge value but fail to mention it is just for a short time frame. These charge curves often are sub 100kW rates for the first 80% SOC. Any news (I searched) from Rivian?
They've actually stated sustained charging of over 200 kW with no recent reference to a max rate. They've also stated 300 kW charging will be coming later (and all vehicles will have this capability - OTA update?).

We haven't seen any real data.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Why do people continue to parrot that incorrect statement?

Rivian has said that the R1T/S will support a sustained 200kW charging rate. That means the maximum must be higher.

The exact charging curve has not been disclosed, yet.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Technically all we know is 140 miles in 20 minutes, and then off the cuff comments from RJ. It very may well peak at something just above 200 kw, and average 190 for 20 minutes, without the ability to crank out anything more. I've always taken the 300+ in the future as other hardware iterations, but hopeful that's for the current gen. We will see.

Dlcromwell

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 VW Thing, 2020 Honda Passport, 2000 Silverado
Occupation
Retired
Technically all we know is 140 miles in 20 minutes, and then off the cuff comments from RJ. It very may well peak at something just above 200 kw, and average 190 for 20 minutes, without the ability to crank out anything more. I've always taken the 300+ in the future as other hardware iterations, but hopeful that's for the current gen. We will see.
So does this mean 280 miles in 40 minutes? Electrify America has DC charging of up to 350 kW along most Interstate Highways which would mean that my trip from MT to AZ would require 10 charges at 140 miles per charge. The Wife would not like that.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
So does this mean 280 miles in 40 minutes? Electrify America has DC charging of up to 350 kW along most Interstate Highways which would mean that my trip from MT to AZ would require 10 charges at 140 miles per charge. The Wife would not like that.
Doubtful. It's probably 140 "mixed use" miles in 20 minutes. So closer to say.... 100 to 120 miles on the highway? And it will likely taper down slower after that twenty.

This is all an educated guess based on other cars. Part of the reason people are curious about their charging curve.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
The fastest way is almost more stops with shorter charging sessions (and range gained).
The path of least resistance might be fewer longer stops - it could add time to the trip but feel more efficient to your wife.
I'm assuming at least one overnight stop, and if you take longer breaks for meals a deeper charge could help as well.
When traveling with my wife, stopping every 2 hours or so for a break is mandatory, so frequent short(ish) charges actually fits rather nicely.
When we road trip on our motorcycles, the logistics and stops are much different than in a car. Road tripping in an EV is different than an ICE. Some people embrace it and find it a bit more relaxing, others find it frustrating. Sometimes you don't know until you try. At least to begin with (and probably for a few years in many parts of the country), you'll meet lots of people and engage in all kinds of conversations about your Rivian while charging. Put on your Rivian ambassador hat and have fun with it.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
When traveling with my wife, stopping every 2 hours or so for a break is mandatory, so frequent short(ish) charges actually fits rather nicely.
While it works for many people for sure, it never does for me. The reason is there's just usually nothing to do or eat around the chargers. At least in region where I live and travel. EA is usually next to Walmart, Burger King or things like that, so I usually end up doing an extra stop for a meal anyway.
In general if I travel somewhere far I usually rent an ICE

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
While it works for many people for sure, it never does for me. The reason is there's just usually nothing to do or eat around the chargers. At least in region where I live and travel. EA is usually next to Walmart, Burger King or things like that, so I usually end up doing an extra stop for a meal anyway.
In general if I travel somewhere far I usually rent an ICE
One of the reasons the higher charge rates are so important. Sustained 200 kW+ to start and 300+ later will make a big difference over the 75(?) kW of the i-Pace. If 10-15 minutes of charging gets you on the road for 2 hours of driving, that is a lot less time to kill at chargers. A short walk and/or restroom break will pretty much fill that time.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
People seem to get all hung up on this. The charging curve will be what the charging curve will be and if it is like Teslas it will be determined at the time of charging (via negotition between charger and vehicle) and not the same every time. Even with the Max pack a 150 kW charger can charge the Rivians at almost 1C. Thus your charge time for 50% charge is going to be about half an hour as currently, when all the smoke is cleared away, most cars seem to wind up charging at an average rate of about C until you get up to 80% or more. If it turns out that the Rivians charge faster or slower the community will discover this pretty quickly and we can change this rule of thumb to whatever pertains.

When the time comes we will be able to use the Rivian versions of programs like TeslaFi which we hope and assume will become available, to record actual profiles or we can sit in our vehicles with a clipboard and pencil and record profiles manually.

In general we will, I'm sure, find that the most power will be taken early on (though there may be a ramp up until the battery reaches optimum charging temperature) as this has the potential to get us out of the charging station fastest which is beneficial both to us and others wanting to use that station. Today's lithium technology being what it is the rate of charging will taper as higher levels of SoC are reached. There may be reductions in rate earlier as well as determined by either the needs of the vehicle or the charger. I think temperature will be a major factor as will be demand charge considerations in some places.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
People seem to get all hung up on this. ---- Yes we do. The V3 Tesla 250kW statements are just PR and do not reflect overall average speed/time. Not all vehicles take 30 minutes to reach 80% SOC. The soon to be released KIA and its twin Hyundia EV are advertising closer to 15 minutes with their 800V battery packs.

Rivian R1T R1S Charging curve.  Has it been documentated/displayede? tesla V3 peak charging curve

Rivian R1T R1S Charging curve.  Has it been documentated/displayede? tesla reduced charging speed over time

Rivian R1T R1S Charging curve.  Has it been documentated/displayede? audi verse tesla charge cuve

Wanderer

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Etron
I would use A Better Route Planner. Select the Audi e tron as the vehicle, but change the reference efficiency from 2.4 to 3.6 mi/kWh. This will effectively increase range from 200 to 300 miles.

Now route your trip and see what it says. the eTron is currently the most effective charging EV out there, being able to sustain 150kw from 0-80%, and then only tapering down to a minimum of about 50kw at full. The planner is likely only going to have you charge to around 80% at each stop though to make a more efficient trip.

It sounds like Rivian will be better than this, at least in peak rate, but we don’t know full story yet. So what I described would hopefully be worst case.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I would use A Better Route Planner. Select the Audi e tron as the vehicle, but change the reference efficiency from 2.4 to 3.6 mi/kWh. This will effectively increase range from 200 to 300 miles.

Now route your trip and see what it says. the eTron is currently the most effective charging EV out there, being able to sustain 150kw from 0-80%, and then only tapering down to a minimum of about 50kw at full. The planner is likely only going to have you charge to around 80% at each stop though to make a more efficient trip.

It sounds like Rivian will be better than this, at least in peak rate, but we don’t know full story yet. So what I described would hopefully be worst case.
Abrp does have their best estimate for the Rivian in the app.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Oh, well there you go. Looks like they assume about 2.2mi/kWh for efficiency.
Looks like they just took 300 and divided by 135. I doubt that is based on any inside information they may have.
Sponsored