Ceramic Coating has been incredible and very worthwhile investment

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I wanted to wait for 6 weeks or so before I made a true assessment of getting ceramic coating on my Audi S6. All I can say is that it has been incredible and a very worthwhile investment (more on this in a bit). Audis are notoriously/infamously known for brake dust, especially the fronts (for obvious reasons). L*** Automotive is the most well known and hyped company that does this along the Wasatch Front in Utah. Their prices are ridiculously expensive compared to others and they push their product with sales gimmicks like "24 hour oven baking", etc. I was lucky enough to meet an individual who works at the largest Toyota/Lexus dealership in the intermountain west. He moonlights with his own detailing, tinting, and coating business. His price for a full body, wheel, and window ceramic coat job is less than half of the aforementioned company. It cost me $1700.

The way that water beads and falls off is quite stunning from the first rains and washes I've done. (I'm to the point now that I'm not even thinking about it when washing or when it's raining, them I'm like "Oh yeah!"). The biggest standout, however, is on the wheels. Brake dust has been reduced by about 80%. A good pressure wash removes most of the remaining dust with minimal effort. A 5 minute wipe down with a microfiber cloth helps get the rest in any nooks and crannies. I'm not sure of the longevity on the windshield, but I've made two 400 mile drives, and to see things like grasshoppers just bounce off of the windshield vs. a visibility crushing splat is something I've never seen before. Granted there have been a few genuine splats, but they're mostly eliminated with a few sprays with the WS wipers. This same drive, same time of year in the past has always made a complete mess of the front of the car and windshield. A few splats have required a small bit of effort with the gas station handheld, and a couple have needed the old pressure wand at the car wash along with a wipe down of "road film" from whatever with the cloth.

Needless to say, this gentleman will be getting another job in the near future on an R1T. ;)

Side note: This video has me quite interested in a $100 product package from TWraps for the lights (I'll probably skip the door handles). I wish the vid showed more lights on/lights off & daytime/nighttime look and effects.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
I’m so happy you got the good stuff! For the rest of us the Klasse paint sealant product that has been mentioned before on these forums is the bomb. I got the 32 oz. kit (don’t use Amazon) from a detailing products company for about $60. It contains enough product for 8-15 cars.

After three months the water still beads like it did it yesterday, and I park on the driveway. I don’t even need to use soap when I wash because a strong hose or pressure washer blows off the bugs and dirt and the water immediately beads up again.

The product has two parts. First wash your car. Then I clay barred it. Then I used the polish with an orbital. Then I did two passes with the sealant with the orbital and it’s own head.

I can’t recommend this enough for people looking for something tons better than wax.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

miasm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I use Griot's 3-in-1 ceramic spray on wax. Spray, wipe, buff.

Not as good as the full install, but only takes 15 minutes and do two coats 24 hours apart, then reapply every couple of months gets you most of the way there.

Sponsored

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I do my own ceramic coating. I use CQuartz UK 3.0 which has been great and is really easy to apply. Just a bit time consuming to do all the prep work (thorough wash, clay bar, minor paint correction, iron decontamination with IronX, polish with CarPro Essence for a better bond for the coating, then 2 layers of ceramic coating. Saves a ton of time and is something I enjoy doing (except my arm will be killing me for a few days after). All the materials cost me around $150 and I already own a DA polisher. My plan is to get a full front PPF as soon as I get the truck and then try to apply a coating if it's still warm outside and if not wait until spring.

Also once a month or so I top off the coating with Carpro Reload to use as a sacrificial layer to preserve the actual coating.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do my own ceramic coating. I use CQuartz UK 3.0 which has been great and is really easy to apply. Just a bit time consuming to do all the prep work (thorough wash, clay bar, minor paint correction, iron decontamination with IronX, polish with CarPro Essence for a better bond for the coating, then 2 layers of ceramic coating. Saves a ton of time and is something I enjoy doing (except my arm will be killing me for a few days after). All the materials cost me around $150 and I already own a DA polisher. My plan is to get a full front PPF as soon as I get the truck and then try to apply a coating if it's still warm outside and if not wait until spring.

Also once a month or so I top off the coating with Carpro Reload to use as a sacrificial layer to preserve the actual coating.
Sounds interesting. Would you feel the need to do all of those steps (like Iron decontamination) on a brand new vehicle?

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Maybe I'll give it a go myself. Did you do windshield, rims as well?
I did the wheels but not the windshield. I did two coats on the front bumper so I didn’t have enough to also do the windshield

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sounds interesting. Would you feel the need to do all of those steps (like Iron decontamination) on a brand new vehicle?
It may or may not be needed but I want the best result and it's pretty easy, just spray it on, wait for the iron to turn purple then rinse off. I normally buy BMWs so by the time they leave the factory in Germany, get loaded onto a train, then put on a ship, then put on a truck to get to the dealership you'll be surprised on how contaminated a brand new vehicle is. It's a bit overkill for a car made in the US but I'm still going to do a decontamination and maybe paint correction depending on how the factory paint comes out.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I’m so happy you got the good stuff! For the rest of us the Klasse paint sealant product that has been mentioned before on these forums is the bomb. I got the 32 oz. kit (don’t use Amazon) from a detailing products company for about $60. It contains enough product for 8-15 cars.

After three months the water still beads like it did it yesterday, and I park on the driveway. I don’t even need to use soap when I wash because a strong hose or pressure washer blows off the bugs and dirt and the water immediately beads up again.

The product has two parts. First wash your car. Then I clay barred it. Then I used the polish with an orbital. Then I did two passes with the sealant with the orbital and it’s own head.

I can’t recommend this enough for people looking for something tons better than wax.
Klasse all the way. Very glad to see others plugging it as well. Klasse has been around for a very long time and I've been using it for two decades and can absolutely vouch for it.

Cost for Cost, I would never do ceramic over Klasse, but to each his own and I hope the OP gets great mileage out of their ceramic.

Sponsored

Sierra7117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback, 996
Occupation
Program Manager
Klasse all the way. Very glad to see others plugging it as well. Klasse has been around for a very long time and I've been using it for two decades and can absolutely vouch for it.

Cost for Cost, I would never do ceramic over Klasse, but to each his own and I hope the OP gets great mileage out of their ceramic.
Did you go the ppf route or stuck with "just" Klasse?

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and counting….
Clubs

If the vehicle is shipped by rail iron decontamination is recommended for new cars. Other methods of shipment are unlikely to need it on a brand new vehicle

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I know nothing about ceramic, but received a quote for 3M Ceramic Pro. Does anyone know if this is considered a good ceramic coating product?

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Klasse seems legit. Maybe I'll give it a go on the Riv.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Did you go the ppf route or stuck with "just" Klasse?
I am a strong supporter of PPF and have been using it on my vehicles since 2008. I have never done the whole vehicle - only the high impact areas like the front end, hood, etc.

I will do Klasse over the PPF.
Sponsored